Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2006 6:22:10 AM EDT
I picked up some polymer cased ammo by mistake and I'm just wondering what the opinion of this stuff is.  The brand is PCA-Spectrum.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 6:54:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Polymer cased Wolf runs flawlessly through my Colt SP1 upper. It's the laquer cased crap you have to stay away from...put like 30 rounds through my AR one day (bought 100 on accident) and I started having FTE's and FTF's. The laquer on the case melts and gunks up the chamber and such (I believe) so I try to stay away from it. But yeah, polymer stuff should work fine.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Polymer cased Wolf runs flawlessly through my Colt SP1 upper. ...

Natec PCA ammo has a complete plastic/polymer shell case, it's not a polymer covered steel case. The plant is about 15 mins away from my home. I've never had the guts to try it though so can't really comment on performance.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:07:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:47:17 AM EDT
[#4]
It'll go bang but the EXTREMELY uneven neck tensions you'll get from polymer will make it VERY inaccurate.

...and yes of course you'll get plenty of people in here saying that they're getting 1 inch groups at 600 with theirs.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I always had problems with the PROJECTILES coming loose  from the casings also.

Cheap cheap, thats what the birdy says.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
wow

Those reviews are disappointing

I know the idea was weight

A basic load could be increased - or lightened, since it was 33% lighter

Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:05:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, it is very light.   But I'm not flying 42,000lbs of ammo around in my car or truck.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Natec PCA ammo has a complete plastic/polymer shell case, it's not a polymer covered steel case. The plant is about 15 mins away from my home. I've never had the guts to try it though so can't really comment on performance.

AH!! Sorry, I'm messed up.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a couple of boxes of the PCA ammo last year before knowing anything about it.  Seemed like a nice idea.  Then I heard about all the FTF/FTE etc and the poor accuracy with it.  All I know is that it will shoot 100% reliably in my surplus 504 clone and that the spent casings only fly 2 feet from my shooting position instead of all over the place.   I've only been plinking with it so I'm not sure what absolute accuracy is, but up to 50 yds it will shoot the hairs off of a fly's backside.   (ok, ok maybe not- but it does pop a soda can around at that distance.)
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:27:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like a box of Crayola.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 11:42:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have had BAD luck with this ammo.. Aside from being able to pull a bullet from the neck with my fingertips, having multiple feed failures.. I threw the crap away..I didnt even get to see how accurate it was, as you have to be able to shoot the ammo to see that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:28:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Didn't it blow up an Arfcommers rifle?

ETA Looking for the thread now .
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:55:00 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't say much aboyt polymer cased ammo in general, but I've had a very bad time with PCA-Spectrum shit.

I've found that the ammo (at leazt the 100 rounds of it that I got) wasn't hot enough to cycle the action reliabily. Maybe one round in five would produce enough gas to get the bolt carrier far enough back to load a round. About half the time (and I'm not sure how this happened, but using the same rifle and magazine with XM193 doesn't do this), it ends up with the front of the cartridge sticking up out of the magazine with the bolt carrier smashing into the side of the case. So far, I've yet to have that ammo get the bolt carrier far enough back so that the bolt will not close with an empty magazine.

Accuracy seemed on par with XM193, but I'm not shooting from a stable bench, so I a couple MOA difference in group size isn't something I'm going to be able to blame on the rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:13:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I picked up a couple boxed a month or two ago.  Honestly, the accuracy is not wonderful, but it's not terrible either.  Better than Wolf, worse than Win or Rem.  No problems to feed or fire in my RRA 20" A4.  

I wouldn't recommend it for shooting a competition, but for messing around or whatever it's not any worse than Wolf, and is a lot easier on the extractor.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:19:57 AM EDT
[#15]
For what it costs (more than Black Hills 75gr in my area) I don't bother with it.  I ran some through my rifles and it functioned fine when doing slow-fire, and was at least as accurate as Wolf (that isn't saying much).

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
For what it costs (more than Black Hills 75gr in my area) I don't bother with it.  I ran some through my rifles and it functioned fine when doing slow-fire, and was at least as accurate as Wolf (that isn't saying much).

Wow, either Blackhills is dirt cheap in your area or someone is way over charging for the NATEC stuff as it's just a little more expensive than XM193 around here.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:58:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Those are cute little cartridges!!!!

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:45:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow, either Blackhills is dirt cheap in your area or someone is way over charging for the NATEC stuff as it's just a little more expensive than XM193 around here.

They are WAY overcharging for the Natec.  Though Fulton Armory does sell Black Hills for a downright reasonable price.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot two boxes through my Bushy, but I won't be buying more.  Wildly inaccurate, and smells worse than Wolf, IMHO.  The lack of accuracy comes from the simple fact that you can't get a consistent crimp with a plastic case.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Thread Jump!

Story

Quoted:
Polymer cased Wolf runs flawlessly through my Colt SP1 upper. It's the laquer cased crap you have to stay away from...put like 30 rounds through my AR one day (bought 100 on accident) and I started having FTE's and FTF's. The laquer on the case melts and gunks up the chamber and such (I believe) so I try to stay away from it. But yeah, polymer stuff should work fine.

Counter-Story

Yeah, everyone says that laquer coated ammo will gunk up the chamber of your AR and cause malfunctions, the only ones that function very reliably with it are guns with NATO spec chrome lined chambers & bores.  

I shot six 30 round mags and two 20 round mags of laquer coated steel case Barnaul through my 16" chrome moly barrel.  It has a .223 chamber (not supposed to be reliable in anything but a varmint rifle) and it has a rifle length gas system (not supposed to be reliable).  So there is 200 rounds of crap dirt cheap ammo that isn't suppose to work very good going down a barrel with a non chromed, too-tight chambered, not enough barrel past the gas port, and I only pulled the trigger 8 times.  I just shoved mags in it as quick as I could and just let her eat and it never skipped a beat.

So for every story that you hear about something not working with an AR, somebody else has had an experience that will have been comepletely counter to it.

Brett
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top