Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/28/2004 12:07:11 PM EDT
I have the problem mentioned earlier: piece of rim removed by extractor, have to use a rod to get the round out.

So if I want to polish the chamber of my AR how do I go about it?  Can it be done with the barrel attached to the upper?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Have to bump this to the top, I really need the advice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Laying all headspace issues aside.........it can be done with some rubbing compound and a dremel tool.............good luck!
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Like fiberglass rubbing compound?  What kind of head on the dremel?
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
had this happen last time out with a new to me 16"a2.  1 time out of 400?  was federal 193.  i've heard the brass on this stuff is junk.  haven't had the funds to wring it ou thoroughly and was thinking of trying the same.  let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't do this unless you can check the headspace after you finish polishing. The chamber on your rifle is built to very tight tolerances, and polishing the chamber will wear it down.

Unless you are having serious trouble with the cases coming appart, and you have the appropriate headspace gauges, don't start messing with your chamber. Also, if you are having a lot of case problems, take a look at your bolt and extractor, there might be something wrong there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#6]
someone on another thread sugested a heavily oiled chamber brush or .45 brush attached to a drill.  This seems like it wouldn't interfeer with headpace.  Opinions?

I think I'll try this, test it and if this doesn't work send it to a smith to polish the chamber.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
A polish like Flitz or Simichrome won't take off any metal.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:16:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Are we talking chrome lined or unlined?if its chrome lined chamber dimensions might be tight.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#9]
btt.

TG
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:40:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I did mine and used Flitz and a .38 caliber pad (can't remember the name it's those white cotton type tubular shaped things) by hand no drill. I used a cleaning rod and stuck it in till the shoulder shaped the end then marked it so I would be sure not to polish too far into the chamber and screw up the shoulder.

I did mine by hand because I did not feel confident using a drill and it didn't take long before all of the scratch marks were out maybe 5 minutes of real polishing action. I used flitz cause it doesn't cut like other polishes do and it worked well.

I would make sure to mark the rod so that you dont go too far though and screw up the shoulder of the chamber.

Good luck.

bosifus
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Polishing the chamber.................................is that what the kids are calling it these days.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 7:28:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I've read through this thread, and the other one about rims being ripped off, and I still can't figure out the nature of your problem.  Could you describe, preferably in detail, the conditions leading to the failure, type of components, ammo, parts, etc.  As far as actually polishing the chamber, I would hold off for now until the ARFCOM hive mind can diagnose the problem.  Figure out why its doing that before attempting repairs, and if it is indeed a rough chamber, I would see the manufacturer of the barrel about it.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 8:13:13 PM EDT
[#13]
In mine the place on the rim where the extractor meets it is ripped off.  I have to clear it with a cleaning rod.  Usually starts after about 20-30 rounds, gets more frequent as I shoot.  Doesn't mater what ammo, mill surp SA stuff, UMC, Wolf, Q3131A.

Going back to the manufacturer isn't an option on this one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top