Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2002 2:09:10 PM EDT
Hi,
I'm ready to buy my first AR type rifle and I need help. I was pretty much set on the Bushmaster Varminter, which is a 24" flat top. I posted in the competition forum and found out that the varminter rifle is going to severely limit me in what I can shoot in competitively. So I am taking their advice and posting exactly what I want to do with the rifle and I am hoping you guys can point me in the right direction.

First off I live in Jersey, so pre ban is not an option. Neither is using the rifle for any kind of hunting. I love the flat top look and would like an AR that I can mount a scope with. I've handled the 16" and they don't fit me real well, I am partial to the 20" barrels and longer. I love the fluted look and also enjoy that vented floating handguard look, as opposed to the M16 handguard style. I shoot with a friend at our local range every few weeks but nothign serious. I would like to get into some kind of competition down the road, but not the kind that you have to run all over the place (3 gun?) problem is I am not aware of ALL the different type of matches available. And lastly if I had to reach for a battle rifle, I guess this would fit that need too.

I know that's a lot of info but I would REALLY apprecaite any help you can lend. I have been reading these boardss and the news groups for months and still feel kinda lost so I thought it was time to post.

Regards,
Mike    
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You may want to look into the highpower situation since you live in New Jersey. There are a lot of highpower matches in your state and close by within a short driving distance.

FWIW.
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 3:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't settle for anything less than a COLT, BOG!
Link Posted: 10/10/2002 4:11:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't settle for Colt!

RRA for better quality AND a better price. They haven't sold out, either.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#4]
If you want to shoot DCM/CMP or NRA Service-Rifle you'll need an AR that's nearly identical to an M16, and it doesn't sound like that's what you want.  NRA has a class that does allow other rifles, but I don't think they allow scopes.  If you have a good mount, you can swap the scope for irons and back w/o losing the zero so that won't be a big deal, but the lack of a front sight post will be.  

I'd suggest checking out the competitions in your area, and get a rifle that's legal for whatever you're interested in.  Or get the Varminter now and a second upper for competition later.
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#5]
check out a club in your area, go to a some different types of matches, then determine what the rules/limitations on the guns are. Figure out what you like to shoot.  Chances are your going to find a couple different types of matches that you would like to shoot in.   FYI, you'v got to shoot in a three gun to appreciate how much fun it is!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2002 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#6]
COLT!  everyone knows it! they're just bitter about buying something less.
Link Posted: 10/12/2002 5:42:17 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pleased w/ my BM 2o" V-match.  trigger isn't perfect, but I'm still less than 1 MOA out of the box.  Only add ons were a nikon monarch scope, an ARMS riser, b-square rings, & and a harris bipod.  I love this rifle!  ZT
Link Posted: 10/13/2002 10:05:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Don't settle for Colt!

RRA for better quality AND a better price. They haven't sold out, either.

If you want to save some$$$$ and you want the same quality, Rock River Arms is the way to go.
They make really nice rifles..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top