Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/24/2004 9:49:57 PM EDT
I am going to build my first ar.  I want to have a 16" barrel car setup with 6 position stock.  I would rather have a mid length hand rail or grips up front.  Is this a completely different barrel from a carbine barrel?  Please let me know what I need to know, Thanks
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#1]
You did not mention what you use the rifle for but...  The barrel would be the same, but the gas block would need to be different to go mid length (a shaved gas block).  I went with a mid length setup on my 16" upper and eventually took it off because it weighed too much (YHM spectre forend).  I have since used a carbine length aluminum free float tube with some rails attatched.  I would think long and hard about how much weight you are willing to toss around and exactly how much stuff you really need to hand from the rifle.  I would go with the lightest possible railed forend I could if I were you, in other words, acarbine length rail system.  If all you need is a grip, then I would not go too crazy with an expensive rail system.
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 10:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I was considering the mid length to increase sight radius and I'm tall so I was looking for a bit more forward reach.  The only thing I want on the front is a folding handle off the bottom of the grip.  It sounds like it would just be easier to stay with the carbine length for balance and weight.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top