Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2005 11:38:39 AM EDT
I just bought the EoTech for my RockRiver middy flat-top AR, this Holo-sight is very nice. However, it is electronics, and as we always said, you cannot never depend totally on something using batteries and chips (plus sometimes I just want to use the iron sight for some old shooting fun), so I want to get a BUIS (back-up iron sight). Since I never buy one before, could you experienced guys help me to choose one?

I just know that I want a foldable BUIS, because the EoTech will be my primary sight, but besides that, I don't know what else I should look to. I heard that ARMS, GG&G, Troy make some good BUIS, are there any very nice model? Could you recommend me some? The BUIS may not need any elevation adjustment ability since it is, just as its name said, a back up, but I still want windage adjustment ability. I also heard that ARMS has a BUIS which is called same plane, is it any good? Where online I could find some good price on these BUIS?

Thanks in advance,
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 11:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Troy seems to be the definative choice for AR shooters these days

I have the Troy and the ARMS 40L and the Troy is hands down the better option

It lays super flat under your optics, no springs needed to hold it in position (like the 40L), solid lock-up
and dual aperature.

shown here backing up my TA31

Got mine from SKD Tactical - they are great people to deal with

Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#3]
imo with a reddot i would get a fixed buis like lmt or larue.

personal preference
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:47:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the ARMS.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:00:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have both the LMT & the Troy Folding BUIS.  I like both, however, each has its own attributes.  The LMT is built like a tank and probably won't break when you least expect it.  But it is too big to fit with an EOTech & a LaRue EOTech mount- not enough room on the top receiver rail mount.

The Troy Folding BUIS works like a champ with the EOTech & the LaRue mount.  That's the way I run my carbine and have been very pleased with the set-up.

My vote goes to the Troy.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:59:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm a new fan of the Matech BUIS!

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I like the GG&G MAD.  It's built like a tank and is very low profile.

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]

This is one of the places that a lot of effort need not be expended.  The BUIS isn't really that important, it's an iron sight and as long as it doesn't fall off one works as well as the others.

Choose your optic first and decide on the BUIS afterword.  Are you using an AimPoint or a Eotec?  If so you might prefer a fixed rear so that your sight is always indexed.  Are you using a folding front or fixed? If your front folds down then it makes sense to have a folding rear also.  

If you are running a scope then a folding set is required.  You will obviously want a site that fits under your scope so that becomes your main determining criteria.

The brand and feartures really aren't that important, just that it is well made and durable.  To be honest most people choose either based on brand loyalty or cosmetics.

Determine what your requirements are, find all the sights that meet those requirements and then buy the least expensive one.  That is the logical way.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:04:29 AM EDT
[#10]
I have used the ARMS #40 & #40L along with the Troy model.  I personally prefer the Troy sight for a several reasons.

- The Troy BUIS windage knob is located on the right side of the sight housing while the ARMS #40s windage knob is located on the left side of the BUIS housing.  As a right handed shooter the ARMS sight was often in a position where the windage knob would rub against my gear causing the windage of the BUIS to change.  I had this described problem occur during two different classes.

- I like the positive lock up.  No springs to worry about.

- I like the same plane aperture that is standard on the Troy sight.  I rarely shoot past 200 yards so I want my large and small aperture to have the same point of impact.

I sold my ARMS sights and replaced them all with Troy BUIS.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#11]
How well do the Matechs work, hold up, etc?  They are the curent issue, but don't seem as sturdy as some of the others. We had issues with some stuff not getting to us in so only a few of our guys had them, and it wasn't like we actually did anything so they went completely untested.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:19:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How well do the Matechs work, hold up, etc?  They are the curent issue, but don't seem as sturdy as some of the others. We had issues with some stuff not getting to us in so only a few of our guys had them, and it wasn't like we actually did anything so they went completely untested.

I’m completely happy with mine, I think it’s just as robust as the next BUIS. Only problem I’ve heard about them is the mount plate breaking caused by over-tightening of the mount bolt. I followed the mounting instructions and didn’t have a problem.Still haven’t had a chance yet to test it out at different ranges, possibly next week.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 6:38:22 AM EDT
[#13]
My vote is for the KAC 300M.  I think it is awesome.  very low profile and simple as hell.  I had one years ago, then I traded it for a ARMS 40, now I have sold all of my ARMS stuff and went back to KAC.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 10:59:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like the GG&G MAD.  It's built like a tank and is very low profile.

www.gggaz.com/images/mad_buis/MadBuis.jpg

I like these also.  High neato factor, simple to use, and very low profile.  I dig it, man.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top