Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/16/2010 4:29:33 AM EDT
I was looking into some different types of plating at work and one that I came across was Electroless Nickel with Boron Nitride.
According to its listed specs it has a better coefficient of friction than a PTFE coating and it can be heat treated to 60 - 62 Rc.
From what I've heard the military is using it for dry bearings on equipment in the middle east to prevent sand from sticking to grease and oil.
It seems that plating a BCG and/or the inside of an upper would be a perfect application for it. The Boron Nitride is actually suspended in the
Electroless Nickel meaning that as it wears more Boron Nitride is exposed keeping its lubricity.

What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:32:17 AM EDT
[#1]
There are already many different coated BCG's on the market.  

Some people already do chrome plating which is very hard.   And Spike's/FailZero does a Nickel Boron coated BCG.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:43:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Their Nickel Boron is probably the same thing I'm talking about. I believe that the part being plated can be masked and selectively plated. I would imagine plating the bcg's mating surface on the upper would be very beneficial as well.
Is there anywhere to get a free copy of the specs they us on mil-spec ar-15's. As long as it doesn't affect the clearances too drastically I don't see why it couldn't be done. the plating is only .001" thick.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 4:46:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Check FailZero's website or call them.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 6:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I was looking into some different types of plating at work and one that I came across was Electroless Nickel with Boron Nitride.
According to its listed specs it has a better coefficient of friction than a PTFE coating and it can be heat treated to 60 - 62 Rc.
From what I've heard the military is using it for dry bearings on equipment in the middle east to prevent sand from sticking to grease and oil.
It seems that plating a BCG and/or the inside of an upper would be a perfect application for it. The Boron Nitride is actually suspended in the
Electroless Nickel meaning that as it wears more Boron Nitride is exposed keeping its lubricity.

What do you guys think?

sspbass,

If you have the money to spend then perhaps it might be a good try to see if it works for you. On one of my AR's I have a chromed bolt that require little to no oil at all and during live fire it has never failed in anyway. My bolt came from Model 1 sales which has complete hard-chromed bolts ready to toss in and shoot.

I'd compare the two prices and go with which ever one is the cheapest. In it's basic form nickle is softer than hard-chroming so during actural live fire I don't know anything about the wear factor of Nickle/Boron Nitrite coatings BUT I do know that hard-chroming wears like hell and I'll be generally long gone and dead byt the time the chroming goes.

Impala

Link Posted: 12/16/2010 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#5]
My rifle has the NiB BCG and the NiB upper receiver.

I love it and will never buy anything else...
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:21:28 AM EDT
[#6]
ROBAR will plate your BCG and inside of your Upper Receiver with NP3
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 8:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
ROBAR will plate your BCG and inside of your Upper Receiver with NP3

which does what?  and what is the cost?

i just looked at their site...

based on the lack of actual testing data..the "limited" lifetime warranty that alludes to the finish failing... and the outrageous cost to coat (above the cost of actually buying the parts the first time)

ill stick with Fail Zero
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Fail Zero's plating is "EXO" thats just a trade name for some other plating. I'd be willing to bet its some common plating with a "special" tweak on the process so they can patent it.
I wish there website would say what the actual plating was. The thing that worries me with the elecroless nickel boron nitride is that as plated its 53-55 Rc but heat treated it is 65-67 Rc which
is comparable to Chrome. I just don't know how the rest of the upper would react to being heat treated. I think the plating is heat treated below the temp that would affect the steel but I'm not sure.

http://www.twincityplating.com/resources/TCP_fctsht_XT.pdf
link for the plating I'm referring to.
Link Posted: 12/16/2010 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fail Zero's plating is "EXO" thats just a trade name for some other plating. I'd be willing to bet its some common plating with a "special" tweak on the process so they can patent it.
I wish there website would say what the actual plating was. The thing that worries me with the elecroless nickel boron nitride is that as plated its 53-55 Rc but heat treated it is 65-67 Rc which
is comparable to Chrome. I just don't know how the rest of the upper would react to being heat treated. I think the plating is heat treated below the temp that would affect the steel but I'm not sure.

http://www.twincityplating.com/resources/TCP_fctsht_XT.pdf
link for the plating I'm referring to.

here you go

should be everything you need to understand how it works...  i dont understand it... i just know it works.

EXO Coating Overview
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top