Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 2:02:07 PM EDT
Right off the bat, please don't throw out all the stuff I know is gonna happen about Eotech and Aimpoint and such. I've read all the discussions of late and am sure they're great, but I don't have access to any to try them out and am not ready to drop that kind of cash on something I'm not familiar with. (If I'm still contemplating in October, I'll have the opportunity to try some at Gunstock.)

I want a low power rifle scope (1x, 1-3x, 1.5-4.5x or 2-7x), set on top of an 16 inch flat top with a fixed front sight. Hope to keep it under $350 all set up. The reason for this is old tired eyes, a potential need for extreme accuracy in flourescent lighted hallways (school cop), and the possibility of use outdoors to ranges of 150 - 200 yards.

I've looked around and have settled on a couple of quality 1 inch scopes. (I have even located some that should keep me in my price range.) I also want to be able to remove and remount quickly while maintaining accuracy. Don't have access to any already set up, so I have to ask for help.

My question is what kind of mount and rings will accomplish mounting and keep the scope far enough forward that I don't have to assume some awkward cheek weld? Also, since low power, what about keeping the cross hairs level with the front sight. I know its gonna ghost in there w/ a low power scope.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#1]
ARMS #38 Super Ex and 22M rings. Good luck with the under $350 wish.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:44:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, their website says $109 for the price. Is that per ring or the set. Item description say All Steel 30mm Ring, I hope they left of the "s". If for set, looks like about $275 plus the scope. So much for $350 more in the range of $500.

What height rings will line the cross hairs up with the front sight? How bad a problem is that front sight with a low power scope?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:26:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Okay, their website says $109 for the price. Is that per ring or the set. Item description say All Steel 30mm Ring, I hope they left of the "s". If for set, looks like about $275 plus the scope. So much for $350 more in the range of $500.

What height rings will line the cross hairs up with the front sight? How bad a problem is that front sight with a low power scope?

The rings are about $100 (per set), 1" inserts about $30 (again per set) and the #38 rail goes for $180. The front sight will ghost pretty badly with a scope starting at 1x. I went with a YHM flipup front sight/gas block to prevent this. Have you considered the Weaver 1 - 3x scope? I bet it would work well and is about $160 mail order.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top