Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/19/2014 11:57:43 PM EDT
Where is the best place to buy older (Like pre AWB) 20 round Colt M16 magazines?  I'd like a couple "proper" mags for my M16A1 Carbine.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:24:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Where is the best place to buy older (Like pre AWB) 20 round Colt M16 magazines?  I'd like a couple "proper" mags for my M16A1 Carbine.  Thanks!
View Quote

They show up fairly often in the Equipement Exchange (EE). I run across them at most local gunshows around here also.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:39:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Just watch the EE. $10-15 all day.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:41:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Gun shows, dusty old gun store bargain bins, and like the man says ^^ the EE.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can help you out, IM sent
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 12:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
If youre near a military base check the surplus stores i see them all the time here by ft hood
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
If running a FA probably be coins well spent to invest in Brownells,  NHMTG or some new Colts.  Surplus mags are usually surplus for a reason.  Memeber here did just post a rare find of quite a few older 20 rd mags still in wrap. That's what you want if actually gonna shoot them.   IMO putting used surplus questionable at best mags in a FA is just asking for problems when a few coins more will buy new.  Always exceptions but generally I'd only suggest using surplus mags in a semi auto.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:39:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If running a FA probably be coins well spent to invest in Brownells,  NHMTG or some new Colts.  Surplus mags are usually surplus for a reason.  Memeber here did just post a rare find of quite a few older 20 rd mags still in wrap. That's what you want if actually gonna shoot them.   IMO putting used surplus questionable at best mags in a FA is just asking for problems when a few coins more will buy new.  Always exceptions but generally I'd only suggest using surplus mags in a semi auto.
View Quote

Do you feel this way if you replaced the springs?
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:Surplus mags are usually surplus for a reason.
View Quote

Yeah, 20 round mags are surplus because the military switched to 30-round mags 40 years ago. As far as I know they're known to be more reliable than the 30s.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:02:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, 20 round mags are surplus because the military switched to 30-round mags 40 years ago.

Not to mention all the mags that malfunction get tossed immediately,  not rebuilt and we buy them cheap every chance we get. Which one's did you buy? How would you ever know unless you stole actually them off the base.

I might run a used surplus mag that I picked up in the back of a LGS collecting dust in a $25K registered FA if I replaced the spring and follower personally but I couldn't in good conscious ever advise someone else to do it especially when high quality mags are readily available for less coins today than in quite some time and I haven't done it to date.  I have run a few new or like new Colts purchased new in FA's with no problems.  I don't even run my reloads in a FA personally.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yeah, 20 round mags are surplus because the military switched to 30-round mags 40 years ago.

Not to mention all the mags that malfunction get tossed immediately,  not rebuilt and we buy them cheap every chance we get. Which one's did you buy? How would you ever know unless you stole actually them off the base.

I might run a used surplus mag that I picked up in the back of a LGS collecting dust in a $25K registered FA if I replaced the spring and follower personally but I couldn't in good conscious ever advise someone else to do it especially when high quality mags are readily available for less coins today than in quite some time and I haven't done it to date.  I have run a few new or like new Colts purchased new in FA's with no problems.  I don't even run my reloads in a FA personally.
View Quote

Would you have any documentation on how surplus mags might be unsafe to run in full auto weapons? I'm very interested to know, I would think that these mag where run pretty hard during the Viet Nam
conflict and where used in full auto a lot. I'm just curious as to how these if they are unsafe would make it to this point.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:00:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Would you have any documentation on how surplus mags might be unsafe to run in full auto weapons? I'm very interested to know, I would think that these mag where run pretty hard during the Viet Nam
conflict and where used in full auto a lot. I'm just curious as to how these if they are unsafe would make it to this point.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread is one big contradiction.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:11:28 AM EDT
[#12]
You obviously have never read a USGI TM regarding the M-16 rifle and magazine malfunction which is what most surplus mags are.  Probably worth the investment in coins and time.  I probably wouldn't recommend running a Bubba staked carrier in a $25K FA either or shipping mags into a state where it's illegal to do so for both buyer and seller.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:18:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You obviously have never read a USGI TM regarding the M-16 rifle and magazine malfunction which is what most surplus mags are.  Probably worth the investment in coins and time.  I probably wouldn't recommend running a Bubba staked carrier in a $25K FA either or shipping mags into a state where it's illegal to do so for both buyer and seller.
View Quote

Good advise old wise man.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:20:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

So I am very eager to learn about this subject. what USGI TM is this you are referring to? please let me know because this is pretty important info.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:19:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Before things get too far off base it might be helpful if the OP will clarify if he's talking about a M16A1 retro build or a FA M16A1. As mentioned you can still find new 20rd mags if you do a little looking and pay a slight premium. Other than the waffle mag I can't think of any USGI 20rd mags that were problematic, the manual recommended periodic inspection/disassembly/cleaning and if any damage was found such as bent feed lips or other obvious damage replacement of the mag. So far I have never run into a 20rd mag with all original parts, spring/follower, no matter how worn looking that didn't function.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:40:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Before things get too far off base it might be helpful if the OP will clarify if he's talking about a M16A1 retro build or a FA M16A1. As mentioned you can still find new 20rd mags if you do a little looking and pay a slight premium. Other than the waffle mag I can't think of any USGI 20rd mags that were problematic, the manual recommended periodic inspection/disassembly/cleaning and if any damage was found such as bent feed lips or other obvious damage replacement of the mag. So far I have never run into a 20rd mag with all original parts, spring/follower, no matter how worn looking that didn't function.
View Quote

collegeboy probably is talking anout his Full Auto M16A1 Carbine. He has a nice video posted.

Even so, as you stated, I am not sure regular old 20 round USGI mags will cause him any grief, even if they are a little worn looking.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 11:33:52 AM EDT
[#17]
The old Colt 20's are far more reliable than USGI 30's with the black followers, those followers were a piss poor design and caused the majority of feeding problems in AR's. The green followers were a vast improvement but the aluminum followers are fantastic, I've actually replaced the black plastic followers in new USGI 20's with the aluminum folowers, using the new spring and the reliability of the mags increased. I got the idea after realizing Magpul Anti-Tilt followers woundn't allow 20's to be filled to capacity, they only allowed you to put 14-15 rounds in the mag. Now they changed the design of the 20 round mag and they're curved, so you can install Magpuls and fill to capacity.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are making me nervous here!
I frequently run original waffles in my original 601--it just wouldn't feel right not to!
(Well, "frequently" is probably not the right word...I don't actually shoot the machine guns "frequently."  But you know what I mean.)

Old mags may be less reliable than new mags. Granted.  But I can't say I've ever felt endangered by using them.
Now, if my life depended on a rifle, then that would be different (I keep some Magpul gen 3s loaded near the HD carbine).  But for range and fun use...?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Checked the video and CollegeBoys M16 carbine it's the real deal, case closed. He wasn't having any problems with any of the mags he was using but I don't remember seeing him useing a 20rd. HipShot I didn't mention the 30rd mags but reading the Black Rifle a couple days ago I ran into mention that Colt was having problems with the 30rd design early on and as you said the green follower 30rd mag seemed to get it right. Agree the alloy follower 20rd was the best and most reliable.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:41:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Concerning surplus 20 rd Colt mags.......Are we saying they are "dangerous" to use in a full auto, or are we saying they may be "problematic"?   Serious question. I can't exactly relate to shooting an AR full auto, as I've not done it that often. On the other hand, with my HK53, I am concerned about proper functioning when shooting full auto. I wouldn't want somthing "ugly" happening in full auto with such a valuable weapon.
   With an AR/m16 what are the odds of something ugly happening due to a mag malfunction?   Or is a malfunction nuthing more than just a nuisance?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]
"problematic"?

OP was asking for a  place to get surplus mags in post.  Previously he had posted his coins were tight.  I simply recommended that he spend wisely and buy some new quality mags for his FA M-16 carbine that resemble retro mags or buy NIW retro mags.  

Stink was raised by another member who was upset because he had tried to sell OP some surplus off of post who originally asked to buy two mags and supposedly backed out of a 20 plus mag purchase or such.

Buy your mags from the guy who admittedly shot himself recently and stuck his hand in a coin machine with the power still turned on causing serrious physical damage.  I could really care less.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:38:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
"problematic"?

OP was asking for a  place to get surplus mags in post.  Previously he had posted his coins were tight.  I simply recommended that he spend wisely and buy some new quality mags for his FA M-16 carbine that resemble retro mags or buy NIW retro mags.  

Stink was raised by another member who was upset because he had tried to sell OP some surplus off of post who originally asked to buy two mags and supposedly backed out of a 20 plus mag purchase or such.

Buy your mags from the guy who admittedly shot himself recently and stuck his hand in a coin machine with the power still turned on causing serrious physical damage.  I could really care less.
View Quote

You act like you know things but you have no clue about truth or real story. I've never been shot nor shot myself, your believing what you want to because your mad. Grow up, your like 55 years old, why don't you act like it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:35:56 PM EDT
[#23]
In 40+ years of using the AR15 platform, I have fired thousands of rounds from USGI 20 rounders, starting in 1974, through the present.  This includes full auto and semi.  I have NEVER found them unreliable, and I never downloaded them to 18 instead of 20.  I actually prefer 20s in my carry piece, with a Gallati Int. 6 pack of USGI 30s for back up.  This includes M16, M16A1, GAU-5AA,, GAU-5P, Colt Commando, and dozens of semi-auto buids of different flavors.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 6:46:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Wanenmacher's Tulsa Gun Show's coming in 3 weeks, lotsa mags there.

come north, young man.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
"problematic"?

View Quote

Really man? What are we 12?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an old colt 20 rounder that is half plastic. If that's what you're reffering to I would gladly send it to you as I don't care for it. It was given to me and it looks cheap to me lol
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:10:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've never had trouble running used, surplus GI 20's. I'm talking no finish Colt, UI, Adventure Line. They've kept up with rather high ROF's without a problem.

As always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
"problematic"?

View Quote

This thread went south fast.  I haven't looked at it in weeks after I thought I had finally found some magazines.

What are you even talking about?  I never said my "coins were tight".  Also, I never backed out of buying some magazines.  Someone told me they had some to sell, then when I said ok I'll talk them, they looked again, and don't have any for sale now.  It's no problem for me, but I have no idea what you are talking about here or if you have me mixed up with someone else.  I stay out of online drama.

I'm still looking for some good quality 20 round USGI older aluminum follower magazines if anyone has some.  I'd love to have waffle mags even.  Cost doesn't really matter, and I'm just looking to pick up a couple, so it's correct for the gun.  Thanks again!
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:36:31 PM EDT
[#29]
NoDakSpud sells very nice reproduction waffles.  I think they might be just the bodies and you have to supply the remaining parts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2014 11:46:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
NoDakSpud sells very nice reproduction waffles.  I think they might be just the bodies and you have to supply the remaining parts.
View Quote

Thanks, but I only want real ones.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:40:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That right there?  That's the retro spirit at its finest, and the reason so many of us are constantly broke!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That right there?  That's the retro spirit at its finest, and the reason so many of us are constantly broke!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear that OlGunner - I still dream of finding some waffle mag buried in some old box of gun parts in some shop somewhere.  When shopping with my wife at antique stores I even keep an eye out.  Every once in awhile I find a bayonet or something - In fact, just bought an old ammo box - 5.56 labeled, red paint over green with "blank" stenciled on it.  Just "had" to have it!  
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 1:21:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Heh, well I figure I bought a real Colt M16 A1.  It only makes sense to buy the "real: mags for it.  Besides, after buying real Nazi era MP44 magazines and 1921 Colt era patent Thompson magazines, AR15 waffle mags seem "cheap"! haha.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 10:15:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Heh, well I figure I bought a real Colt M16 A1.  It only makes sense to buy the "real: mags for it.  Besides, after buying real Nazi era MP44 magazines and 1921 Colt era patent Thompson magazines, AR15 waffle mags seem "cheap"! haha.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to collect original waffle mags. I'm sure you know that they wouldn't be the correct mag for your vintage carbine though.  It would be like saying I have an original 67 Corvette L88.......but with an original 57 Vette FI motor.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#35]
If he stays at it long enough, most likely he will stumble across some NIW UI Colt 5.56 marked Floorplate mags. They are out there....
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

There's certainly nothing wrong with wanting to collect original waffle mags. I'm sure you know that they wouldn't be the correct mag for your vintage carbine though.  It would be like saying I have an original 67 Corvette L88.......but with an original 57 Vette FI motor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True. I still want some though. I really just want some proper Colt mags pre 1994 AWB. All the usgi mags I have are from after so they are dated like 07 etc. that's just wrong on my old colt.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:10:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Hey, I found 4 and messaged you, $70 shipped. Dug them up during turkey break, let me know.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top