Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/28/2004 4:25:09 PM EDT
I am assembling a Stag lower using a M1S LPK. My pivot pin detent spring seems to be too long. It appears that it is seating completely in the hole, but I can not get it to compress far enough to get the detent all the way in.

Any ideas? I was thinking of cutting the spring one coil at a time until I can get it to work.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Cut enough coils so that the spring is flush or slightly lower than the opening.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you very much. My spring sticks out a couple mm. I can see it in the little hole in the lower, I'm guessing this means that it is bottoming out in the hole.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:21:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Try a stiff piece of wire, run it down into the hole, measuring how deep the hole actually is and compare it to your spring.

Lonny
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I got it to go in, but getting the pin in without shooting the detent and spring across the room is impossible!! I've got my lower completely assembled except for that, I'll try again tomorrow after I've cooled down!! Any suggestions to make it easier? And I have the tool.......The putting it together inside a plastic bag is a good idea!! I shot mine across the room once, found it (don't know how) and have been using the bag ever since.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Sometimes grit from sand blasting gets caught in the bottom of the hole.  Take a drill bit a little smaller than the hole and twist it by hand to make sure it is cleaned out.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard a lot about people having to cut down their M1S springs.  
I put mine together a few weeks ago from a J&T kit.  I got it in place then compressed the spring and held the detent in place with a small screw driver( real small like the ones for glasses, flat head) then I got the pin started and used it to hold the detent down.  It may have been beginners luck but i got it on my first try.  After you cut down the spring or clean out the hole it should go real easy.

Link Posted: 10/29/2004 2:38:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Take another coil off or take a section of cleaning rod (.357/9mm works perfect) slide it thru the pivot pin holes in the lower, depress the detent and "keep" it with the rod. Now slowly slide your pivot pin in, while sliding the rod out---BINGO. Should pop into place.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:09:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Again and agan and again

same forum same subject one day apart

Well it's not exactly the same. I wasn't asking about this I was saying I completed my lower build. I just mentioned that the pivot pin was a pain, but I did managed to install it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 8:28:21 AM EDT
[#10]
I finally got it in this morning. I gave up using the tool and used a razor blade to hold it down. Got it in the first time. Go figure!!

She's all assembled now, can't wait to get out and shoot it!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top