Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2012 4:37:57 AM EDT
HI,
I am left handed and right eyed.  I have just got into the AR platform and having some issues.  On most rifles I can cut some of the stock away to be able to get my head down low to see the sights.  But on the AR the buffer tube is in the way.  I have seen AR pistols that don’t have the buffer tube and was wondering how to do this.  It is my understanding it is a piston kit but not sure.  If the buffer tube can be removed then I can make a drop bracket that will replace the buffer tube and then lower the stock about 1.5 inches.  Please let me know of any way to do this thanks
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#1]
as for piston setup that do not have a buffer tube, there are a few.  here is a link to RRA's

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=442

my brother in law has the same issue with being cross eye dominant.  i ended up bulding him a rifle that used a 1" riser and red dot setup.  have you looked at using a riser or are you needing to use the iron sites?

fatkid
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 8:16:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Most piston systems still require the buffer tube. I understand your issue as I'm also cross eye dominate, the easiest solution for me was to just shoot left handed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Shoot left handed its the only way to go for you, shooting right handed will limit your shooting skills a lot.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 10:06:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Try a red dot optic set at 1/3 co-witness height and keep both eyes open.  Shoot left handed and your eye will pick up the reticle from the sight in no time.  EoTech and Aimpoints are best.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 9:06:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Just shoot left-handed and use an RDS to traing your left eye to take over the aiming.  I recommend an Aimpoint M2, M3 or M4.  The tupe helps keep the red dot away from your right eye.

Here is a true ambidextuous piston gun:  LWRC M6A2 Spartan

I just took possession of the "Operator" version of the same rifle and I can tell you that it works as advertised.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 2:54:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top