Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 3:21:38 AM EDT
I currently have a Hogue for my AR-15 and it feels comfortable but the finger grooves are way too low for a proper hold (webbing to curve of lower). I saw some smooth grips but I cannot recall the brand/name and where to find them.

I want to say it is a "battle" something grip.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Tango Down Battle grip like here on my LMT/Stag M4.  You can get them from www.gandrtactical.com and other vendors here aon ARFCOM.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:39:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I recently bought a Magpul MIAD grip for my Stag M4gery. What's great about the MIAD is that it comes with different front and backstraps to fit the grip to what is comfortable to you. Plus you have the option of carrying three spare rounds in the grip cap or you can get the cap that holds spare batteries.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:52:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I have 3 AR's with Hogue grips and love them.

However, I just got a TangoDown Battle Grip (like the one shown above on gotM4's gun.

I love it, and am going to get another for a tan build going on.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:58:01 AM EDT
[#4]
i love my td battlegrip. no stupid finger grooves that don't fit my fingers and a great texture for a good grip. plus it has the neat little storage compartment for tootsie rolls and smarties!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the G-27.The finger grooves fit my hand well. But the grip is a very hard plastic.
If it had the softness and gripability of a Houge it would be perfect.Still it works.

And you could call it your"Battle grip"....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:21:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I currently have a Hogue for my AR-15 and it feels comfortable but the finger grooves are way too low for a proper hold (webbing to curve of lower). I saw some smooth grips but I cannot recall the brand/name and where to find them.

I want to say it is a "battle" something grip.

Tango Down Battlegrip?

Its nice for people with really small hands, but most average to large handed shooters that I've dealt with prefer the Magpul MIAD.  

The MIAD offers a more aggressive texture, and isn't quite as slick in my hand.  To be fair, I have large hands, so the TD small size probably doesn't help in that regard.

The MIAD is also quite easily converted to fit different sized hands, with both replaceable frontstrap and backstrap.

Lastly, the MIAD has an internal storage compartment.  The TD does as well, but is a little more limiting.

Both products are very well made, and if I had small hands, I would have no complaints using the TD.  Hopefully this picture helps a bit.  

This view from the back shows the difference between the TD and MIAD (MIAD on the right)

This shows the Ergo on the left, which is one of the thinnest grips (MIAD on the right)

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:42:31 AM EDT
[#7]
How durable/reliable is the MIAD? Will the backstraps every fall out or crack?
I want to keep it as simple and comfortable as possible.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:15:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I've seen one broken, and that was because the owner was flinging the weapon up in the air for some type of test.  The stock and grip were both broken IIRC.  The MIAD has held up well enough for me, and below are some pictures after my 85lb puppy played with it.

The below picture shows the teeth marks from where he was playing and teething.  I doubt he was trying   to crush it as I have seen him break 1/4" thick bones without problem, but it still shows that it can take abuse.  I pulled the front and rear psortions off, and there is no damage.  Everything still works, there are no problems locking the assorted pieces into place, and nothing was cracked or broken.

Its a good thing I take a lot of pictures....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:16:43 AM EDT
[#9]

The MIAD after Photoman's 'Drop Testing' of the SPOT optic.  SPOT survived, MIAD & aftermarket telestock didn't.

That being said I'll probably end up with one in Coyote on my 6.8SPC (I need somewhere to store a spair pair of 123's and my Ergo grip can't do that).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:22:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I never had any problems with the standard A2 grip even though I have big hands, but I wanted something with battery storage for my carbine build.  I chose the TD grip over the MIAD because I figured I already had enough modular things to fiddle with (I know, blasphemy).

I might switch it out for a MIAD, though, because the TD seems to be at a slightly steeper angle, which makes the smallness of the grip an issue for me where with the A2 grip it isn't a problem.

Your best bet is to get your hands on some rifles with both grips on them and try them out.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the Tango Down  (though it could be thicker) on my carbine but I went "old school" and put a A-1 grip with a gapper on my 20''. I do not care for finger grooves on rifles or pistol grips due to my large hands so the A-2 grips had to go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Still waiting on the upper for this one but so far I like the feel of the MIAD. I can tell you one thing, as hard as it was to get the roll pin in that backstrap, it's not coming off unless you really want it to.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I like the early std Colt / GI grip

rj
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:53:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I tried the TD - HATED it.  Thin and slippery.  The MIAD's feel great, but I didnt like how it smashed to pieces either.

I keep coming back to Houge.  Simple, rugged, tacky, comfortable.  Havent seen anything else I prefer better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I haven't tried every grip out thee but here's my 2 cents.

Used the standard A2 grip for years on my issue rifle. It works, but once I got my own personal AR I wanted something a little more comfortable and different.

I bought an Ergo Grip (w/ bottom plug). I like it fine. The got an overmold Ergo Grip and had it not been tan I'd have swapped it out. The "rubber" Ergo Grips are sweet.

I have shot an AR with a Hogue grip and like it a lot. I'd probably make that that second choice if I got another AR.

I had a Samco G27. I didn't know or forgot it wasn't rubber and was very disappointed. It looks cool, and it's comfortable, but no more than the Ergo. if they made a soft textured version I'd reconsider.

I'm going to a gun show this weekend and I'll make it a point to play around with any other grips I happen to see, particularly the MIAD and Tango Down if I see them. Seems to be a lot of talk about them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:07:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I have moderately odd-shaped paws, and I can't stand the bump on the A2 grip. If your only problem with the standard A2 is the finger groove bump on the front, you can take it off for the "poor man's A1 grip". It takes about 10 minutes with ordinary rasps>files>sandpaper>clp to shave off the bump and blend the now rough area into the flat front of the grip. Much more comfortable IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:10:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
 The MIAD's feel great, but I didnt like how it smashed to pieces either.

IIRC, the problem with their version of a test is that they were throwing/ spining it in the air.  The same impact broke the buffer tube, and would have most likely sheared any pistol grip.  If the arc had been off a few degrees one way or the other, the pistol grip and buffer tube wouldn't have broken.  If you can't duplicate a test, then it is a failed test.  When you do real world weapon testing, a drop test is done exactly the same way everytime.  This way it can be compared against other materials and designs.

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.  Its been awhile since I read their writeup, but everytime I see that picture posted, I can't help but think it is an isolated picture taken out of context.  You never see that picture displayed when the milspec buffer tube question comes up 3 times a week.  With no other grips tested, it is imbalanced to say the least.

Lastly, in no way am I degrading or giving them a hard time for their test.  The test was done for the sole purpose of seeing how much damage a Tacpoint could absorb, and I commend them on going out of their way to do so.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#18]
You make excellent points, as usual, Stick.  And the fact that it broke really doesnt concern me a whole lot.... because I am totally biased towards Houge's.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#19]
I guess the honest answer for of this type thread is that people are looking for pros and cons, but they still need to try things out for themselves.  I bought the TD grip because of comments here, and it isn't useable for me.  That doesn't mean it no good, just that it doesn't work for me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:37:21 AM EDT
[#20]
I am going to have to second what stickman said. For big hands, the G27 and the MIAD work best.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:23:34 AM EDT
[#21]
+1 on the TangoDown. Was one of the only personal bits on the M4 I had on OIF1, and , um, one of several I have on my M4/203 this time. I have the old smooth one, and it's great with or without my usual aviator gloves.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Just got the G27 today from a seller in the exchange forum. have
Want to try the Magpul MIAD grip as well, like the fact you can choose from different sizes as well as the multi-use compartment, too bad it's not fingergrooved.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a hogue grip and like it a lot for my big hands, but I don't like the rubber texture much.  Sure it's comfy, but I don't like how it 'sticks' to my gloves or bare hand.  I much definitely prefer hard plastic with a rough all over texturing.  That way if I relax my grip I can slide my hand around on the grip or tighten up and let the texture hold it in my grip.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:53:23 PM EDT
[#24]
The G-27 is a very comfortable grip but if your into looks like me its not the grip for you, go with the MIAD.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:07:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I have hard Ergo's on both of mine and can't see any reason to replace them. I've only used A-1 and A-2'S before so I don't know about the rest.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:53:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I remember the first time I ever used a Hogue AR15 grip, I siad OMG and never looked back...., I pick up my AR and just hold it sometimes..... - Clint
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I've been content with Hogue for awhile now. There are more advanced grips no question, but I hogue has been good to me and I dont have a real reason to change
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:21:37 AM EDT
[#28]
I've tried several types of grips except for the Tango Down...

A2- just too small, too slick, too skinny

Ergo- too skinny, awkward shape, but good texture

G27-fit my hands, but would have been better if it were a rougher texture... or rubber

Hogue- I liked it from the first time I picked up a Rock River carbine, felt very comfortable, especially after using the A2,  but after shooting with it my hands didn't really agree with the finger groove spacing...

MIAD- hours of entertainment... The "BurgerKing" of AR grips  I sold my first one to buy something else, but have another one on the way. The MIAD fit my hands the best.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:49:39 AM EDT
[#29]
SPR all the way!!  This is a big, meaty grip that puts my finger in the perfect position relative to the trigger.  For RH use only.

SPR = "sierra recision rifles"

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:04:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

The MIAD after Photoman's 'Drop Testing' of the SPOT optic.  SPOT survived, MIAD & aftermarket telestock didn't.

That being said I'll probably end up with one in Coyote on my 6.8SPC (I need somewhere to store a spair pair of 123's and my Ergo grip can't do that).

For those who missed photoman's test, here is a classic "how could anyone do this to their AR15" photos!

'nuther vote for Tango Down

Stickman offers good comparisons of size, but even with med/large hands many prefer a smaller grip (see racquetball racquet's, tennis, golf club grips, etc. as it offers greater hand control)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top