Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/25/2003 1:41:22 AM EDT
I can't get a good grip with an A2 pistol grip.  Are Ergo Grips, BattleGrip, and SPR (Sierra Precision Rifles) bigger or fatter?  I do better with the A1 grip.  I'm thinking about a DuckBill as well.

TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 1:44:24 AM EDT
[#1]
[rofl2] Dude, you're outta control.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:04:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
[rofl2] Dude, you're outta control.

CHRIS
View Quote

Shit's just popping up from nowhere tonight.  Answers,.....  I need answers.

TS
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:09:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Think my Brother-in-law (John232) replaced his A2 grip with a Hogue(sp??)grip...
I believe it is fatter, and he says it's feels much better than the factory grip...
We both have Bushmasters...

[sniper2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:17:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I am glad I'm not the only one with grip problem [naughty].  On the serious side, I hate the  A2 grip with that #@!! finger split bump that always get in the way. Here are my experiences with other grips so far:  The original Ergo Grip is slightly longer in the web dimension and will help with correct trigger reach (this is the one that fits me the best, but very hard to find anymore.)  The newer version with the textured rubber is a bit wider, I had to grind off the corners because they stick out too far.  Ergo also makes a deluxe tactical version (don't know why they keep using the "tactical" word) that retains the original Rhino Hide finish, and it is much bigger in all dimensions.  I didn't like it because it is huge!.  The SPR grip is big with a nasty thumbshelve I didn't care for.  Hogue grip is too sticky with that rubber overmold.  I haven't not try the battle grip yet, but it might not increase the distance to the trigger like Ergo.  As you can see, my box of useless parts is filling up [pissed] while the search for a correct AR grip continues.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:18:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is what feels right to me . I use the stock
bushmaster grip with a spacer . I don't remember
what it is called , I got it at brownells ,dumb
piece of plastic should cost $7 but I think it was
about $28 .Take off the grip,install spacer,reinstall grip . It moves the stock grip
about 1/8"lower and 3/8" back .I have med sized
hands and my last finger crease falls right on
the trigger. You can grab and blast or if shooting
for score move the pad of your finger onto the trigger for the best feel . Everyone likes something different in grips  but this works about
the best for me and is much cheeper than some of the higher priced gripps     NHSPORT
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:56:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a SPR on my long range rifle. It is much larger than the A2. It really fills your hand when gripping it. You want "fat" then this is the one.

The ERGO grips are nice as well.

Link Posted: 5/25/2003 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the kind of thing that you need to try many different versions if possible. One that may feel better to you may not work for the next guy.

I will say that I have heard lots of good things about the Hogue grip and the rifles I have tried with them had a positive feel.

I put one of these on a rifle and have been quite happy with so far.[url]http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=8780[/url]
[img]http://www.brownells.com/Images/Products/573100015.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I use a PSG type grip on all my AR's made by somebody - probably KAC as I buy most of this stuff from Wes Grant at MSTN.biz.  (Wes and the boys have me so spoiled I just tellem I need a light (or whatever) for my ______________ and tellem to send what they think is right.)
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 9:58:53 AM EDT
[#9]
I really like the Ergo Ambi grips. I have four, mounted on three rigs [;)]
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 10:39:09 AM EDT
[#10]
My RRA came with a Hogue, which I am very happy with.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#11]
If you're looking for something bigger, then I'd second the Sierra Precision Grip. It's definitely a lot bigger than the standard A2 grip.....my hands are pretty big, and I find it very comfortable, even on my carbine. However, it is for righties only, and it's kind of a hit or miss.....if you know someone who has it, try it out before buying it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#12]
The Duckbill grip eliminates that weird finger shelf but has a smaller circumference than the A2. The checkering is sharp as hell too.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I have tried various grips by various manufacturers. In the end, i decided that the grip on the hogue is just unbeatable. The issue of pistol grips just plain ended after I put a hogue on! Now, all my AR's feature the hogue overmolded pistol grip. Like someone said, it's all up to the individual, but I wear size XL gloves and they fit snugly on my hands. Having XL meat paws ain't so bad!
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 11:10:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The finger split bump thing on the A2 grip just doesn't work with me.  Looks like I'll be buying a Hogue, an Ergo-Ambi, a DuckBill and a BattleGrip.  My hands aren't large, so I'm thinking it's maybe the finger split bump that's not for me.

Thanks for all the input! [BEER]

TS
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I bought an Ergo Grip this weekend. I put it on my PostBan M4. It helps with my hand placement and trigger pull.  My SP1 Carbine still has the A1 grip and it feels the best to me.  Anyone know how close a DuckBill is to the A1?

TIA,

TS
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I recently replaced my original grip with a Hogue.  I love it!  I got a pretty decent price on it too.  Bought it at cheaper than dirt.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top