Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 3:01:17 PM EDT
What size is allen wrench nut inside pistol grip in BM for a new hogue grip
, also what screw size for replacement flat head screw.
Thanks in advance..................
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:47:28 PM EDT
[#1]
mine is 3/16 hex head - cant say on the flat slot head. I prefer the hex head, so left it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:27:59 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]
find a Colt or CMT dealer both sell the slotted screw. Personally I like the hex head screw better.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:09:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The screw is 1" long - 1/4" -28 thread.  I know because I was looking into replacing it as well.  

What I did instead was hacksaw a groove accross the head, and half way down the Allen socket of the existing screw.  This gives the option to use either type of driver.  

Mine is a Bushmaster also, and the screw is (surprisingly) fairly hard.  I used a flat screwdriver to tighten the screw and it did not strip the head.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:00:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind you're threading a STEEL screw into an ALUMINUM receiver.  If you've worked on cars much, you know just how easy it is to strip out aluminum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Keep in mind you're threading a STEEL screw into an ALUMINUM receiver.  If you've worked on cars much, you know just how easy it is to strip out aluminum.

Very good point to always keep in mind.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats why someone invented a helicoil for thread repairs.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:35:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I just use JB weld and some car wax.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top