Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 2:01:28 PM EDT
I tried to search this but couldn't find anything that pertained to this.  I need to have a vortex flash hider pinned and welded to a 14.5" barrel.  What is the best method?  Silver soldier, MIG/TIG or other?  I have heard but can't remember which method causes over heating to the barrel which is bad.

Any suggestions or procedures are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 2:08:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I tried to search this but couldn't find anything that pertained to this.  I need to have a vortex flash hider pinned and welded to a 14.5" barrel.  What is the best method?  Silver soldier, MIG/TIG or other?  I have heard but can't remember which method causes over heating to the barrel which is bad.

Any suggestions or procedures are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Thread the muzzle device to the barrel... mark with pencil the spot you wish to drill for a pin.

Remove muzzle device, and drill hole for the pin.  Re-install muzzle device and torque, and drill about .060" into the threaded portion of the barrel... install pin into hole to lock the parts together, weld over top of pin with TIG (prefered), or spot it with a MIG, and finish dress the weld to look pretty.

If you really wanted "trick"... laser weld the muzzle device to the barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I would assume a standard roll pin would suffice.  What size?  about the size of a pencil led?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
have fun drilling a hole in the Vortex

Why, because new Vortex is much harder then the previous model?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The new Vortex is very hard.  From what I understand, it has to be annealed first before drilling.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:03:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:18:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The new Vortex is very hard.  From what I understand, it has to be annealed first before drilling.

We do them all the time with no annealing.  Just need the right bit in the mill.  We do charge more for doing a Vortex as the bits are expensive and we go thru them quickly on Vortex as opposed to doing Phantoms.

For details you can call me at 816 809 9452.  I really don't reccomend trying it yourself unless you have the right equipment(mill, carbide center drill, mig or tig) and some experience.

Denny

I figured you'd be along shortly.  I don't know where I got the annealing thing.  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 7:05:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup.

I use an end mill to make my intial hole, then SLOWLY work the tap in there.  New Vortexes laugh at drill bits and center punches.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Actually...Smith offers a pre-drilled Vortex G6A2. You just have to go directly to them to get it. It comes with pins. They drill them and then have them hardened. I have one. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's actually drilled for 2 pins. They are offset...180 degrees opposing. If you attach the FS as per their spec..i.e. No washer or shim, no timing....since they want the back of the Vortex flush with the crown of the barrel...you wind up with the holes at about the 11 o'clock and 5 o'clock. You just have to tell them you want one.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I did it exactly how SBR described, you really need a drill press with though. Also have about 5 extra bits handy. I used a hammer and punch to make a dimple so the bit wouldn't walk then proceeded to break 3 or 4 bits before I got one to go through. It's not that bad, but be patient and move slowly...

BTW, it did laught at me, and it flattened a punch too...oh well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top