Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/8/2003 11:14:30 PM EDT
Here is a picture of my newly created Bushmaster Superlight. I can't believe how light the whole rifle is with the Superlight barrel and Ace Skeleton Stock. I took a tactical class a couple of months ago with my 20inch Aramalite HBAR and I can tell you it's a night and day difference in the maneuvering capability and speed on target this new rifle has. Let me know what you think of it.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:25:25 PM EDT
Light is good. I just spent some cash and some time lightening up my primary carbine set up. Shaved about a pound off it. It was worth it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 4:39:53 AM EDT
Shasta_Doug Very sweet. IMO your setup is as good as it gets. I also have a Armalite 20" HBAR that I will send to Kurt for some weight reduction.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:16:28 AM EDT
Great outfit! With minimal more weight you could add a rail for a Insights M3 and you are good to go for low light situations too!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:18:33 AM EDT
It just doesnt get any better than that.very nice rifle.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:37:29 AM EDT
I bought one with the A2 upper, intending to not install optics to keep the weight down. All they need to be really sweet is a three-prong flash hider. (Come on 2004!) G23c
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:20:19 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lumpy196: Light is good. I just spent some cash and some time lightening up my primary carbine set up. Shaved about a pound off it. It was worth it.
View Quote
What did you do to lose the pound? Just barrel replacement/recontour?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 7:50:05 AM EDT
Is the Ace stock lighter than an A1 stock? I have a 20" lightweight with A1 upper that I'd like to lighten even more...
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:46:14 AM EDT
Thanks everyone for your comments. My next idea is to replace the Aimpoint with a Eotech. As for the weight of the stocks, the only information I could find on just stock weights that don't include the buffer and tube, are: Ace 14oz and Stubby Stock (smaller than the A1) is also 14oz. I'll weigh my extra A2 stock later tonight and let you know how much that weighs. The only problem I have had with this set-up is the zero setting of the #40 is shifted almost all the way to the right, so I think there is some canting with the front sight. Its a few clicks a way from maxing out the windage adjustment. Do you guys think I need to send it back to Bushmaster, or leave it alone since it is just a BUIS and not a primary?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 11:57:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2003 12:03:39 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
Originally Posted By Thomas_A_Anderson:
Originally Posted By Lumpy196: Light is good. I just spent some cash and some time lightening up my primary carbine set up. Shaved about a pound off it. It was worth it.
View Quote
What did you do to lose the pound? Just barrel replacement/recontour?
View Quote
I had a full length ARMS rail that went to the front sight. Dropped that for an ARMS 40 BUIS and a KAC Aimpoint mount. My Surefire 962 is going on my A4 project, and a much light Surefire 9v Classic is on the carbine. [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=158579&w=searchPop[/url] The new SF isnt on it yet in those pics.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 12:59:34 PM EDT
Shasta_Doug: If you can, check the plumb of your front and rear sights. I had a used, non-Bushy upper where the front sight was put on with hollow (!) rather than solid pins and the front sight was imperceptably canted to the left. Biggest clue was flipping apertures moved my group horizontally.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:12:26 PM EDT
What is the total weight as it is in the photo?
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:16:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/9/2003 2:18:53 PM EDT by Frankie]
This is the next item on my "to do list", except I'm getting it in the A3 and fixed telestock configuration. Your's is awfully sweet though! Way to go! Colt Series 70 SA Loaded SAR-1 Mossberg 590 *Reserved for Bushmaster*
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 2:22:54 PM EDT
I have a DPMS flattop upper with M4 14.5" barrel and KKF brake with DPMS buis on my shortened Cav Lower. It's a little under six pounds.
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 5:52:28 PM EDT
Kewl...just recieved a superlightweight from bushy myself... sweeeeet...great choice..enjoy
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 9:22:27 PM EDT
Okay, I just got back home and weighed the rifle. ----------------------------------------- Lower with Ace: 2lbs 5oz Upper w/o Aimpoint, but w/ #40: 3lbs 10oz Upper w/Aimpoint, mount and #40: 4lbs 5oz ----------------------------------------- Total Weight w/o Aimpoint: 5lbs and 15oz Total Weight w/ Aimpoint: 6lbs 10oz ----------------------------------------- A2 stock w/o buffer and tube: 14oz ----------------------------------------- Also a side note, when I've gone to the range with it and put through some relatively rapid shots, the barrel gets very, very hot. I wonder what it would be like if rapid fired my Beta C through it. Fun!
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:12:36 PM EDT
[wow]Looks Yummy. Too bad you can’t Rock and Roll with it. [headbang]
Link Posted: 5/9/2003 10:16:13 PM EDT
... Very nice set-up [b]Shasta_Doug[/b], but I have to ask, isn't that a 20" barrel? ... Wouldn't 16" lighten it up a bit more yet?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 12:20:25 AM EDT
I'm pretty sure that's a 16". The thin barrel and the fat M4 handguards make the barrel look longer than it really is. Shasta-Doug, have you thought about using regular CAR handguards? That might save a few onces, if you don't mind the different feel.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 8:38:25 AM EDT
That's correct. It's a 16 inch barrel with the Bushmaster M4 handguards. I could save weight with the standard CAR handguards but liked the feel of the fatter M4s in my hand. I'll have to get a set of regular CARs just so I'll have the option of going lighter. Have people noticed the trend in people's set-ups over the last few years? 1st people added 37mm Flare Launchers, then it was every light, laser, optic. After that we have two trends, the SIR with everything and then extra, extra light set-ups. Where do you think we'll go next? I like the idea of the AWB sunsetting and nothing new getting passed. That I'm sure will kick off a new trend of flash supressors, bayonet lugs, collapsable stocks, and MEGA BETA C's since they'll be under $200 for newly manufactured ones. Any other guesses?
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 9:51:51 AM EDT
Very nice pic. I wish I could post the pic of my new M4. Can someone explain me how to post pictures? LRRPS.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 1:34:52 PM EDT
I see the next trend being mid length handguards. The gas system just works better.
Link Posted: 5/10/2003 2:15:04 PM EDT
very nice, looks like a natural fit. bet it shoulders well
Link Posted: 5/11/2003 4:07:39 AM EDT
Good looking and VERY functional AR, the only thing I would do is install an ergo rubber pistol grip.
Top Top