Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2006 7:55:45 AM EDT
I tried to put my mags in a can this weekend, but the lid wouldn't close.  I've seen pics of this, but can't remember how they were stacked so the lid would close.  I did a search, but couldn't find anythign.  Could someone post pics?

Thanks,

Doc
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:24:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure it was a SAW can, which is slightly taller and will allow the mags to stand tall.
That's what I use and it's very good.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
The standard 50 cal can is not tall enough to get 30 round mags in standing up.   You will need the SAW can which is approx 1 inch taller.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#3]
with a 50 cal can you can put the mags 6 abreast (bullets pointing up or down), and then a second layer on top of that, then two more laying flat for a total of 14 30 round mags, with room left over at the end for boxed ammo, 20 round mags, dessicant, etc etc.

Mags standing vertical would have to be in a SAW can which is both taller and wider than a regular 50cal sized can.  I can take pics of both tonight.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Tag for pics.

And yes, they need to be in the S.A.W. boxes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I think Wal-Mart sells some water-tite boaters boxes that will allow them to stand up. There was a thread on here somewhere that had pics. If I can find it I will post a link.

ETA: I cant find the orginal post, but here are some pics.

I will keep looking.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:21:15 PM EDT
[#6]
AR magazines in a .50 sized can.  14 30rnd and 7 20rnd mags per can, along with some 1/8" packing foam. (the three mags standing up lay flat to close up the can, wanted to show how they are packed below them though)

AR magazines in a SAW can.  Didn't have enough mags right at hand to fill one, by my count it looks like 4 rows of 7 (28) mags would fit easily, with room for foam top and bottom for protection.  Room for two more at the front sideways would put it at 30 and if you went with thinner (or no) padding could fit a few flat on the top as well.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:41:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 2:05:10 PM EDT
[#8]
tab.. er, tam... er... ta... oh hell with it I'll check back later.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
The best I've found are 20mm ammo cans.  Mags stack just right, close comfortably.

Of course, you're gonna need more mags............

Sam
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:08:41 AM EDT
[#10]
You can solve this problem by moving to NJ.

Then you'll be limited to 15 round mags, which easily stand up in a .50cal ammo can.

Problem solved!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
You can solve this problem by moving to NJ.

Then you'll be limited to 15 round mags, which easily stand up in a .50cal ammo can.

Problem solved!

LOL, that's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
If you live in Free America, it's funny.

If you live behind the liberal curtain, it's a crying shame.

I would so love to own 30rd mags, flash hiders, etc, etc.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top