Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2004 7:59:04 PM EDT
Anyone care to post various flash hiders in use in the dark,  I'm just curious as to what works and what doesnt.   Is the Colt A2 worth a damn?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I shot in pitch black using an A2 and hardly saw any flash, just a tiny bit...using 24.2(almost positive) grains of Varget.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, I dont have any pictures, but I can tell you that firing at night with a 14.5 barrel and the A2 flash hider that the flames are noticeable, but not enough to destroy your night vision.

The vortex on the same weapon was hit and miss, some shots were flashless (or just too quick for eyesight) and some were comparable to the A2 flames, but in a spiraling motion. However, it does make a loud PING!!! after every shot. I'm sure most of us are familiar with that noise.

Keep in mind when I say "flame" I mean they are very TINY.. probably a centimeter in length if that.

Ammo is also a factor. I was firing Winchester Q3131A, which has the purple primer.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Muzzle flash means nothing to most people.

Phantoms and Vortexs are worth it to get to 16 inches.

We need 15" M4 barrels with perm affixed A2s. Those would sell.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 9:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I was just reminded of the problems of muzzle flash tonight after shooting my Sig P220 with Blazer ammo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:09:55 AM EDT
[#5]
+1  On the 15" Barrels with Permanent A2, I wish someone would come out with one.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
...We need 15" M4 barrels with perm affixed A2s. Those would sell.

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
+1  On the 15" Barrels with Permanent A2, I wish someone would come out with one.

That is exactly what I wanted and did something about it.

I wanted a 16" OAL weapon with the standard A2 birdcage on the front. I sent the barrel to Kurt's Kustom in FL and had the barrel cut a little shorter and had an A2 suppressor permanently attached. Here is a pic:

Link Posted: 9/22/2004 11:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
That looks nice, I might have to look into that on my next M4gery build.  I currently have a 14.5 with a perm phantom, but theres just something about the military look of the A2 flash suppresor.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I was just reminded of the problems of muzzle flash tonight after shooting my Sig P220 with Blazer ammo.hr

Sig 220
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top