Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/9/2003 5:13:05 PM EDT
Tried firing an SPR with Ops Inc brake and had a chance to take some time lapsed photos of the muzzle flash.  The brake eliminates a lot of flash to the shooter but it can still be detected through the scope for some reason (very slight).  The lateral ports vent flame about an inch to two which you cant see from the angle of the photos.

Notice the straight back recoil with no muzzle rise.

This gives you the best idea of the actual flash you see.  These pics were taken at dusk and it was darker than the photo indicates as these were time lapsed or long exposure photos.  Ammo was 75 grain Black Hills red box.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice pics!  I can see the rifle moved back a bit but not rose by much, the flash is less than a 14.5" barrel and A2 suppressor/compensator combo.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very good pics, especially the top one.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey, the scope cover is closed?  How well do you think the muzzle brake works as a brake?
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey, the scope cover is closed?  How well do you think the muzzle brake works as a brake?
View Quote

Well there is very little to compensate for.  I think it has an effect but its not the most effective brake in the world.  Then again its not very loud to the sides or shooter either.

Edited to add:  You will notice the rifle is also pointed DOWN.  I didnt want any shots hitting my target at the 300 yard line just in case I had put all 5 rounds in the 4" bulls eye.  The cap is see though so ultimate clarity was not an issue.
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Next time you go out, try putting something down (like two layers of bath towel under the bipod feet). The rifles have more erratic flyers when you shoot from a hard surface like the cement in the photo.

The best platform is probably the dirt, in the prone but most ranges won't allow prone shooting anymore.

(That is if you are having any trouble getting the standard you need to extend your range.)
Link Posted: 11/9/2003 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes I know about hard surfaces with bipods.  The flooring is still concrete though but we can shoot prone on the 200-600 yard lines.  I am thinking I could just go with sand bags to get the groups sub MOA at 300 and 400.

The towel idea is a good one though.  I will certainly have to try that as well as shooting prone.  Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Excellent pics!  Does OPS brake provide any type of flash suppression or would it look exactly the same when using the same ammo and a bare bare muzzle?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
....  Ammo was 75 grain Black Hills red box.
View Quote

That was the big reason why you had little flash.  You used a very low flash ammo.

Did you try it with Q3131 load?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 9:02:00 AM EDT
[#9]
The SPR would not chamber Q3131A on multiple occasions.  Even with the forward assist it failed to chamber two rounds.  This upper will not be eating any Q3131A until more testing can be done.  The barrel is a match chamber 1/8 with a bolt giving minimum headspace for maximum accuracy.  Next time I bring her out I will test with Q3131A again and see if she still has problems.  I will hand chamber a round of Q3131A if needed for a flash test too.

Edited to add: I dont know if it hides flash compared to a bare 18" barrel as I dont have one to compare it too, but it does get the flash away from your line of sight and the flash signature is very low.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 2:15:21 PM EDT
[#10]
So is this thing a break or a flash suppresor?  Where do I get oNe?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So is this thing a break or a flash suppresor?  Where do I get oNe?
View Quote

Yes [;)]

It is a muzzle brake, but it is not BATF approved for post pan use, therefore it is, by default, legal only on preban rifles.

Right now they are vaporware.  If anyone will have them, it's Wes at MSTN.
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 5:07:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes this was a MSTN built upper.  The scope was sighted in but the cams were not set back so that zero indicated the actual zero.  Only two rounds of Q3131A made it down the pipe. I was trying to get a rough zero and not waste match ammo since once the dials were set back to zero, the scope put the POI off the paper.  All the rest of the ammo was Black Hills Match.  I will be doing several types and weights of ammo to see what is the most accurate.  

Wes,

You use Federal Match for testing to ensure its sub MOA?  Do you use 69 grain normally or 77?
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 6:27:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/10/2003 11:38:57 PM EDT
[#15]
I have only seen one real SPR upper that beat mine - Raptor22's (holy hannah!).  Of course, that one ALSO came from MSTN.  No surprise there!  [:D]

Edited to say:  My reference was confusing - I am proud to [s]gloat[/s] say that the SPR being shot here is mine and is the same one you see posted in my other pictures.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:46:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I've never asked and now I probably sound stupid asking, But what is Unobtanium?

What is the benefit? Is it the metal your Douglas SPR barrels are made out of? (The ones that sell for approx $750 with ops break and collar)
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:22:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Green0 -- good question.

Unobtanium is a fictitious alloy, which means "it cannot be obtained" :  hence the coined phrase "unobtainium".

Max
Link Posted: 11/12/2003 10:28:14 AM EDT
[#18]
I e-maile seberger a week or two ago on getting the Ops break and collar and he gave me this line on the liability of selling these seperately on improperly contoured barrels.

I wonder what the liability would be, The suppressor the customer cannot buy won't properly line up?

Or does he at some point in the foreseable future plan to sell his products to civilians?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top