Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:13:18 PM EDT
Oh I've had many AK's, several M16's and Full Size AR's over the years but...never an AR format carbine...and now that I've got one?...and actully got to toy around with it a bit?..even though I just picked it up hours ago I'm kicking myself for not having bought one years ago...what a neat, little, light-weight and fast handling rifle this thing is...especially after just coming off a heavily scoped Bushmaster .308 with harris bi-pod...this carbine feels like it weighs less than 1/2 of what that scoped out 20" .308 did....and I like that.

I won't bother posting pix cause it's not anything you guys haven't seen before and really nuth'in special to anyone but me at this point...just a "post-post-ban" Bushmaster A2 Carbine w/ 16" M4 barrel w/ bayo lug and threaded on birdcage FS with a 6 stage collapsable stock...still N.I.B. and box stock...but not for long.

I also picked up 8 extra bm 30rd mags and have a few questions I'd like to ask here before pi$$'in away my hard earned on ammo and accessories so...here's goes...

Question #1: Whats the best ammo for a 16"er w a 1:9 twist? (feed/function/accuracy/cost...in that order)...also...what grain do the 16"ers like?.....55?, 62?, 69?, Heavier? Lighter?

Question #2: Does Trijicon make front and rear replacement iron sights for the A2? Anybody have any experience with using such?

tia & L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 As a general rule, try not to use ammo from third world countries. I shoot 55 and 62 grain out of my 16" barrel just fine. Lake City stuff is very good ammo. (They supply the military)

#2 I remember seeing sights from trijicon for these, but I can't remember where. I have no experience with them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
1.XM193 in boxes of 20 not loose bulk packed/Black hills blue box 55gr/Q3131A
2. Trijicon makes a front and rear sight but the rear is pretty useless. Just get the front post.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool.

I can help answer #1.

1/9's are supposed to be good from 40gr to up around 75-77gr MAX. Some barrels will shoot the heavy bullets better than others of the same twist, so it all depends on the barrel you have.

I think 55-62gr is right in the sweet spot for 1/9 twist and it is also the easiest to come by.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:22:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys but...has anybody actually tried the trijicons?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Double post.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#7]
So you went with the A2 after all?
Some may say that this was a mistake.
I won't be one of them.

Good choice.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Yes, they are horrid.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Good shooting!  Good rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So you went with the A2 after all?
Some may say that this was a mistake.
I won't be one of them.

Good choice.

Yeah man...ya know the A3 proponents had me 2nd guessing but...alls I had to do was remember how well my old A2 N.M. H-bar treated me in i.p.s.c. tactical rifle..where I just used an old 4x Colt Scope that mounted directly into the handle channel...and it was like...slip it on in a few seconds...then give the stock several sharp raps on a piece of wood (to simulate recoil) which would "seat the scope" for spot-on from the very first shot...to boot?...the higher level of the scope (mounted high in the carry-handle) keep my head in a more upright position...where I was actually welding with my lower jaw...and to me?...it seemed the higher head position "amplified my periphial/visual awareness"...as before the final shots were even completed at one position?...my mind was already subconsciously seeing the targets around me and already preparing and laying out my next move...and I know that might sound a tad corny to many here but if you experienced this yourself you know exactly what I'm talking about...cause it works...and I was a holy terror on the ipsc rifle stages with just that set-up...good enough for my old Colt N.M.?...good enough for my new BM A2 Carbine...and for bonus points?...it the scope gose south on ya at any time?...just rip it off and now ya got iron sights you KNOW you can depend and count on....A2 is fine with me.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:54:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they are horrid.

suckola eh?...I'll take your word for it but can you expand a bit?...what was the deal?...did they not glow adequately?...or did the wash out?...or did the two bright rears wash out the one front post?...what was the deal on'em blowing so bad?

T.I.A. Bill.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:54:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I started with a pistol Ar not impressed, but better than most AKs , Now I have a carbine I am in luv with, and I will be assembling a Hbar on a cav arms lower.   I have sold my Sar1, and bought my first M14 polytech.  I guess I am growing up.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I started with a pistol Ar not impressed, but better than most AKs , Now I have a carbine I am in luv with, and I will be assembling a Hbar on a cav arms lower.   I have sold my Sar1, and bought my first M14 polytech.  I guess I am growing up.

That's odd cause...I seem to be "growing down" over the years!!! LOL!!!

I had a "love hate" thing going on with my old Springfield N.M. M1A1...especially with the scope mount and GEN. II scope...Loved shooting it at the bench but...HATED carrying it anywhere!!! LOL!!!

I also despise the M-14's old high wrist stock as compared to the straight back pull of the AR formats low wrist pistol grip...everything about an AR format (bolt release, mag release, safety, trigger pull) was designed around the eronomics of the human hand...to the point that it's like...you wrap your hand around an M-14 but an AR wraps itself around your hand...kinda thing.

Oh the m-14's are hell for long range accurate but...slow as hell at any close in tactical situations...way to much recoil...way to much gun...and that's why I'm...uhem...."Down-Sizing"..so to speak...and all that's jmho...but...after "living it".

But whatever flips yer switch and...L8R, Bill.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top