Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2011 8:51:12 PM EDT
Met a guy last week - talked about silver solder for the FH - he showed me his 14.5 - I could not see the silver solder and questioned it - he handed me a wrench and ask me to try and take it off - I tried but did not put it in  a vise and Really give it a try - OK it would not come off - he then told me that he used Red Loctite on it....  I told him that was not legal - he response was - its not coming off - so how would they know it was not silver soldered ??  What do I know... So, I am asking the dumb question here... So, how is it known if silver solder is used - does it show at the base????  if not - how strong is the red loctite and how - of course if it comes down to the weapon being taken by LEO - most likely it will be found out....  I told him the risk is not worth it - answer - its been that way for two years and never a problem???
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:22:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Let the right LEO come along (Who knows he my never come along) and he will check out the weapon and bust your friends can. Red loctite is will come right loose if the barrel is hot, such as right after firing it for a few quick rounds. I hope your friend luck and that he does'nt get caught, however is it worth it for only about $60 for a flash hider and to have it pinned? By the way silver solder will discolor the barrel a little right at the flash hider and barrel.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks for the trick of twisting the fh when the barrel is hot - I might give this a try at the range if I see him again....  should be interesting...
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 10:05:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Bic and Zippo also manufacture barrel heating devices that work without a trip to the range. ATF can and will use any method to remove the FH if they believe it to be illegal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 11:07:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The pin part of a pinned and soldered FH is usually pretty fucking obvious. Proper temp silver solder will also leave discoloration.  ATF specifically states that adhesives such as red loctite are not adequate

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Silver solder sucks - if you want a 14.5, get an SBR lower instead.

Pin and weld is the only way to go if you have to, and can be done in about 10 minutes flat, but like I said - just get another stamp coming!

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Blind-pin welds don't take that long, < 30 min if you have all the stuff ready. I used to pay to have them done but found I could do them myself much cheaper.

I just don't want to take anymore of those pined BM mini-y comps off, double pined and a pain in the butt.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top