Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2003 12:30:35 AM EDT
I'm looking at a Pelican for my 20" A2. It's a patrol rifle so the case needs to be as compact as possible....

Any suggestions as to which model and where to purchase?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 12:35:43 AM EDT
[#1]
#1700 is the right size

PP out
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Here are a couple of places that have good prices on Pelican cases.

[url=http://www.casesbypelican.com/]www.casesbypelican.com[/url]

[url]www.casesforless.com[/url]

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/23/2003 11:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I finally got smart and pulled my rifle out and measured it. From stem to stern it's 38.5 inches long. The pelican 1700 is 35.5 inches long so it won't work.

I'd prefer to stay as compact as possible with a case right around 40" long. Unfortunately, no one makes a case anywhere near this size....it's either 38" or 52" but nothing in between.

Any other ideas??

*edit for spelling*
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 4:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I finally got smart and pulled my rifle out and measured it. From stem to stern it's 38.5 inches long. The pelican 1700 is 35.5 inches long so it won't work.
View Quote

FWIW, (realize ya may not like this idea, but as ARs seperate rather quickly and easily), if you seperate the upper from the lower the Pelican 1700 will hold a scoped 24" AR upper and a DCM/CMP/M4/A2 additional upper, one lower and 10 - 20 round USGI mags all in one case. I have one setup this way and it's nice, even has rollers for easy toting.

Mike  
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

FWIW, (realize ya may not like this idea, but as ARs seperate rather quickly and easily), if you seperate the upper from the lower the Pelican 1700 will hold a scoped 24" AR upper and a DCM/CMP/M4/A2 additional upper, one lower and 10 - 20 round USGI mags all in one case. I have one setup this way and it's nice, even has rollers for easy toting.

Mike  
View Quote

Thanks Mike, I'd thought of that but there's just no way I can go that route. Policy dictates I carry my rifle in the case until deployed. When it comes out of the case it's because I need it right now....don't want to have to worry about putting it together. Looks like I might have to stay with my soft case.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 8:41:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ziegel Engineering ([url]www.ziegeleng.com[/url]) makes a 43" aluminum assault-rifle case -- not sure if that's long enough, but it might work for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2003 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey, nice find! Thank you. I'm going to have to check those out. The 43" would be just the ticket.

Anyone have one of the Ziegel cases??
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 4:28:24 AM EDT
[#8]
[/quote]

Thanks Mike, I'd thought of that but there's just no way I can go that route. Policy dictates I carry my rifle in the case until deployed. When it comes out of the case it's because I need it right now....don't want to have to worry about putting it together. Looks like I might have to stay with my soft case.
[/quote]

To reassemble it needs only few seconds.........

PP out
Link Posted: 4/25/2003 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#9]
uhhhh....wonder how many shots I can get down range in the time it takes me to put the rifle together......since the number is more than zero how could I possible justify carrying a disassembled rifle? Those "few seconds" may be all the time I have to execute a shot in defense of myself or another.
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Those "few seconds" may be all the time I have to execute a shot in defense of myself or another.
View Quote

If this is true , and it is true for sure , you do not need any case , neither soft or hard , but just a sling .

PP out
Link Posted: 4/27/2003 3:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
PP's right.It would take less time to attach the upper and lower than it would to open the case.If you have a soft case, opening the zipper would also take longer than putting the upper/lower together.If those precious seconds really did count then you should be carrying the rifle inside the car in a quick-release electronic lock and not in the trunk.
Link Posted: 4/28/2003 3:32:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Monty:

hello fellow cape cod resident!

The pelican 1750 is the ticket - I bought mine off ebay for 170.00 with ship.
Link Posted: 4/29/2003 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Monty:

View Quote

I have 5 #1750 , I use them for my 24" barrel SWSs with optics & accessories , they are huge for a 20" , IMHO ,
PP out
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 5:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Monty:

View Quote

I doubt the 1750 will fit in his car's trunk.  Also, the 1750 is a heavy case empty, and just gets heavier.  I've got one for my Winchester M70, which I wanted protected extremely well.

I would suggest a cheaper hardcase or even a soft case.  It sounds like you are looking for something that meets your department's policy, and not for something that needs to be bullet proof, so to speak.  A cheap hardcase will protect the gun in the trunk, not weigh a huge amount, and probably open pretty easily.  

My 20" AR fits really nicely in a 42" Bagmaster case.  I went with the 42" because my AR has a forward pistol grip, and this case length was the minimum that would allow the grip to remain attached and still fit in the case.  

Good luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 5/5/2003 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I took a couple of pictures of the 1700 and 1750. On the measuring tape, I have 38.5" marked by a black paper clip thingy.  My rifle is 35.5" long when it's extended. I don't know if this will help you any, but it will show that the 1750 is HUGE for a single 38.5" rifle.

Here's my rifle on the 1750.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11645[/img]

Here's the 1700 on the 1750 for a comparison.
[img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/IG_LoadImage.asp?iImageUnq=11644[/img]

CHRIS
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top