Anyone that has used these got an opinion?  Thinking of getting this one:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/military/colt-ar-15.htm

Are they worth it?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes!!!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I ordered the 1720 yesterday.  I'll let you know how it is in a few weeks.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 1750 (big one with wheels) that I bought used... HELL YES!

I just need to replace the center foam piece, it has the top and bottom, which do hold the guns still, but i want the center piece to cut the shapes and hold accessories in place.

No Expert
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
whats with the pink ribbons
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
whats with the pink ribbons

Visit the team forum

ETA:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=75&t=418520
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Absolutely worth every penny.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone that has used these got an opinion?  Thinking of getting this one:

http://www.casesbypelican.com/military/colt-ar-15.htm

Are they worth it?

HERE made the link hot for you.

Why not buy it from HERE. Alot cheaper, and you can customize it to fit individual needs?

4X4SC
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Love mine!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got the 1720 and it fits my LE6920. I only have the top and bottom piece in cause im not sure how i want to cut the center piece. But even without the center foam the rifle doesnt move at all. It is probably one of the nicest hard cases i have ever seen/used. When i go up to the range i just toss it in the back of the truck and dont worry about it. Plus you cant beat the Pelican warranty "If you break it, will replace it" type of policy. Its a great case, especially since i got it for $40 brand new
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:14:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is my Pelican 1700 with a couple of my favorites.  I have five or six other cases and the Pelican is one of the best for the money.  I got it for $130 delivered from Cops Plus on the internet.  They have them in Black, OD Green, Tan, & Gray.  You may be able to find better pricing but they are the ones I went with.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one of these cases from CPD. I had them make me a custom cut case (similar to their "SOPMOD" version). It was worth every penny. The laser cut foam looks very clean and professional. Turn-around time was reasonable (I cannot remember exactly, but, it was less than three weeks). There are two different types of foam available:

the 'regular' commercial-grade polyurethane foam

and

the 'weapons-grade' high density polyethylene foam...

The high density foam is really stiff and protects well.  The 'military weapons cases' (with the pre-cut foam) sold by CPD come with this high density foam. The stock Pelican cases do not.

If you plan on transporting your weapons on an airline, and if you can swing the coin, get one of these cases. I flew to NH this fall and I had a carbine and a Sig P226 in the case. When I checked-in at the airport, they opened the case and one of the girls behind the counter gasped at the sight of such well protected, yet, evil-looking weapons. The TSA guys stared at it in admiration...
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Here's my 1720. 2nd one and Love it!

Tack

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Yep, I love mine too.  I think they hold up better than metal shipping cases, at least when on an airplane.

The TSA guys were pretty shocked too when they opened the case.  They were even more amazed as I have three levels to my thin case.  Top for mags, middle for firearms, and bottom for 2 bipods, cleaning rods, spare parts, and tools.......

A lot of planning when into the cutting of all that closed-cell foam.....

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#14]
edwin247,

where can you get replacment "closed cell foam"?  I have the standard and would like to get the "better grade" stuff.

MadDog
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Most Pelican distributors can cut you that foam.  I don't remember the dealer, but I could get that info when I go back to work on Monday.  I do remember that they had a hard time finding a box for the foam.  Side-note: I messed up cutting the first set of foam, so I had to order another set.  Cost about $60 for the foam.

The people who make them ready for ARs were about $100 higher than I paid.   Since I needed a custom setup, I just cut it out myself and saved the money, until I messed up the first foam.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
edwin247,

where can you get replacment "closed cell foam"?  I have the standard and would like to get the "better grade" stuff.

MadDog

I purchased my replacement foam from HERE and I have been very pleased with it.  The foam is just a tad lighter in color and maybe a little firmer but that is fine.  I purchased two pieces of the "firm" that I measured out to fit inside my case and it came to $30.58 shipped to me, which is far cheaper than buying a replcement kit from Pelican.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:20:07 PM EDT
[#17]
can anyone suggest a pelican case that would fit both my

14.5" m4 (w/ perm phantom)
16" m4 (w/ 5c1 FH)

I'm in california so no need for extra magazine storage, and they only have 10 rounders perm attached. i'm hoping theres a pelican i can buy, and cut the foam myself. unless they already make a double m4 case.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#18]
I am looking at the 1700 for an AR-15 and these guys have a killer deal until 12.31.05 it is 135 and FREE shipping. they are out of stock mind you, but if you are patient, that is best I have found.

www.leisurepro.com

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#19]
tagged
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:39:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I believe the Starlight cases to be superior to Pelicans, I switched mine over.  Now the new Storm cases seem to be the one to have.  Before you buy the Pelican, look at the differences with the Starlight and Storm cases.  Pelicans are good, but they aren't the best anymore.

ETA:  The trick to cutting the foam is an electric knife
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:17:16 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#22]
They are great, If you are going to spend the money go ahead and get the double rifle one.   I wish i did.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:27:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I have several of the starlight cases that I bought when Brack Wilson had close outs and when Sams Club had them dropping down to like 50-75 bucks.

But I do own one Pelican and I do like it.    It's easier to close than my Starlights which can be an ever loving bitch.     My Starlights have a thinner wall plastic which might not take certain abuses(like the monkeys at UPS, I know what they are capable of I work there).     The Pelican has a thicker walled plastic that would appear to hold up a bit better to damage, and the overall profile is thinner.

I'll have to get a comparison picture of my Starlight cases against my Pelican case.

One of my 52 inch Starlights holds an AR10 on the top bunk and on the bottom bunk has a broken down 20inch and broken down 14.5 inch AR15.     The Pelican simply holds my massive ALS 50BMG upper and lower receiver.

here's the 50 in it's case,
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:02:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Just to clarify, the reason I like the Starlights better is the hinge and mechanism on the air purge valve.

Pelicans are awesome cases to begin with.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 3:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I have a couple 1750s, one i've used for my AR and one still in the box. I also have a pelican for my pistol, one of the smaller ones, don't rememember the model. these things are bomb  proof though i will say cutting the foam is a royal pain in the arse. I prefered the "pick-n-pluck" in the smaller case. took longer but came out much better.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:02:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Here is my 1720 that I got for Christmas.  I love it so far!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Boy I hate to piss on a campfire but I have the 1750 and it weighs more than what I put in it.
I own a television production company and I own a LOT of Pelican cases for the biz, so I like them,
but IMHO the 1750 is a tiny bit OVER KILL. You will NEED a truck to "throw" it in to. It will not fit in my M3. I have to take my company E250 to the range just use it, so at that point what's the point. If I was going on an African safari, well that's another story.

BTW, I bought the "egg crate" foam so I didn't need to cut it. Now the Remy M700 fits as well as my AR15 Service rifle.

Bill

Brians 45, where are you in Louisiana? I am in Mandeville, just north of what used to be New Orleans.
There used (not anymore) to be a boat shop in Slidell (gone) that had (repeat HAD) the best prices on the net for Pelican.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:34:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Any time I'm doing any "rough" traveling I use a 1720. They haven't failed me yet. On one occasion my back-up equipment (in a Pelican 1720) was "ejected"  from the vehicle I was traveling in (along with many other things) and no harm what so ever came to the contents inside......as a note, I did replace the standard foam with high density foam. My 82A1 came in a Starlight and it seems sturdy but not as sturdy as the Pelican....just my opinion. As mentioned above, the Storm cases are worth checking out also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:37:35 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a 1750 for my AR10.  Very heavy, and very heavy duty!!  

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top