Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/1/2003 9:02:35 PM EDT
I am interested in putting together a 16" barrelled flat top upper from BM. I want to use the handgaurds from the new Les Baer Thunder Ranch carbine featured in this October's issue of Guns Magazine. I also intend to use Les Baer's new flip up front site/gas block featured in the same article. My questions are as follows:

Will the parts from Les Baer's floater tube carbine handguard be compatible with  BM's barrel? Are the uppers that come from the major suppliers made with the same dimensions, tolerances, threads, etc. to facilitate parts swapping like this?

If I use LB's front site/ gas block will I be able to use a gas tube for a 16" barrel from BM or might the length of the gas tube be different when using LB's front site rig?

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/4/2003 6:35:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, these things are supposed to all be made to the same spec, but in reality there is some variation.

The only thing I'd say is get the parts from a good vendor, so you won't wind up with somebody's rejects. That matters most with the parts that have the finest tolerances, but with something like handguards there's a lot of wiggle room, so to speak.

I personally get all my parts from the same vendor when building a rifle, that just ensures that everything will fit. But if you're on a budget, just try to make sure the bolt and barrel come from the same place, just a good idea to try and head off any problems with headspace. I've seen uppers/lower from different mfgrs not matching up exactly right (DPMS lower, in my case).
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top