Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/15/2006 1:10:10 PM EDT
On my recent build, my FH got scratched down to the bare metal (small scratch) and I was wondering if anyone has any pointers on how to touch it up and re-coat it.  The scratch is hardly noticable, however it is the principle of having a brand new rifle with a small scratch.  Does Brownells have anything that would work?  I remember reading of some stuff that people are using that has to get baked on, but I can't remember the name of this stuff.  Any help, suggestions or comments that you guys may have would be greatly appreciated.  If it matters, the FH is made by Yankee Hill and it is the one that is used to bring a 14.5 barrell to 16 inches.  Also, what is used when a FH is pinned and soldered on to re-coat it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:32:52 PM EDT
[#1]
If it really bothers you get some Cold Bluing from WalMart and touch it up. But let me warn you……she won’t stay new looking forever!  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:46:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Tahnks, I'll give that a try.  I know it won't stay new looking forever, I actually look forward to breaking it in and putting some wear on it.  It's just that right after getting it put together, this happens and it just makes me mad.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Brownells 44/40 works great. I used it on my Colt Hbar barrel and FH. You must degrease 1st.  Also use Birchwood Casey Alumin Black on the upper and lower for small touch ups. Good Luck
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top