Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2009 12:47:06 PM EDT
Searched for info on this but couldn't find anything.

I've seen photos of aluminum mags with paracord loops on the bottom. Seems simple enough, the loop comes out of the hole in the floorplate. I would assume that there's a knot on the inside.

But looking at the mags I have, the knot would have to be inside the loop of the spring. To get the floorplate on, the spring is going to have to get over the knot somehow. Not much room to work through that little notch on the mag body.

I know it's possible, so what is the trick to getting the floorplate on/off with the knotted cord in it?
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 1:03:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Tie overhand knot in cord - slip under the first loop of the spring - close floorplate.

Link Posted: 5/9/2009 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/9/2009 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I saw some other dudes that used the hole, but I don't trust the floor plates enough to be attaching stuff to them and yanking them out of shitty mag pouches and crappy 782 gear.

This is how I did mine

One worked better, as shown that the tape is all jacked up.  I was just to lazy to pull off the other one and retape it  

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 9:03:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never seen anyone stuff the cord through the hole in the baseplate.

I have mine setup that way.  It's the way we were shown when I was in the Army in the late 80's.

While I wouldn't twirl a loaded mag around on my finger with just the loop it is secure enough to pull a mag from the old Alice type mag pouches by the loop.

I like short loops to lessen the chance of hanging up on something.   The best way I've found to thread the loop through the base plate is to use another cord.

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 10:01:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Tie overhand knot in cord - slip under the first loop of the spring - close floorplate.

http://i41.tinypic.com/mjwthf.jpg

http://i39.tinypic.com/i5c36h.jpg

This is how I do it...

I have zero concern about the floor plate being ripped off the magazine by the cord... Under any reasonable use, that isn't going to happen.
If it causes you to lose sleep, just call up CProducts and have them hook you up with some of the steel floor plates they use in their stainless steel magazines. Or, just get a complete stainless magazine... and you really won't need to worry about tearing off the floor plate.

Link Posted: 5/10/2009 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm not too concerned about the floorplates, I won't be putting a lot of stress on the cords.

I just want something to help me get the mags started out of the deep mag pockets on my AR soft case. These pockets are deep enough for two 20-round or a 40-round magazine, so a 30-round can slide down pretty deep. It's not a huge hassle getting ahold of them but it would be easier if I could pull them partway out.

Right now I have a piece of foam stuffed into the bottom of the pocket, but I don't loke this cecause it prevents we from carrying two 20-round mags in a pocket should I desire to do so. FWIW, the bottom 20-rounder can be tricky to get out too, but that's a problem for another day...
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I went to every place in town that I thought might have paracord and nobody has any!

Looks like I'll have to order some online.
Link Posted: 5/11/2009 2:55:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Well, I went to every place in town that I thought might have paracord and nobody has any!

Go ahead and get the 1,000 feet...

Believe me.... you never have enough of this stuff....

Link Posted: 5/11/2009 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 2:57:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm...

I should probably ask what a pog is...

.. but then that would require giving a damn.
Link Posted: 5/12/2009 3:11:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Go ahead and get the 1,000 feet...

Believe me.... you never have enough of this stuff....

If ¼" cotton braided rope would work, I got tons of it!

I use it to make slowmatch.

Link Posted: 5/12/2009 4:31:32 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hmmm...

I should probably ask what a pog is...

.. but then that would require giving a damn.

Well he is either talking about the Hawaiian milk cap game that was popular in the 90's or the über cool guy term that means

People Other than Grunts.

Ya gotta pronounce it with a long o with the way he spelled it, like the o from Obama.  The usual way to spell it is POGUE  

Link Posted: 5/13/2009 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Paracord doesn't take up as much room on either side of the baseplate if you remove the inner cords first. Tie a small knot on either end, start your baseplate on, insert the knots on either side, and finish pushing the plate back on. No problems yet.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 12:26:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Did anybody mention that you remove the inner filiment cords from the outer shell and just use the outer shell?
This makes attaching the cord to the bottom of the magazine a whole lot easier and the outer shell alone is plenty strong for this application.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 4:56:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Did anybody mention that you remove the inner filiment cords from the outer shell and just use the outer shell?

This makes attaching the cord to the bottom of the magazine a whole lot easier and the outer shell alone is plenty strong for this application.

Wished I had known this.  Just did this mod tuesday night and it was a bear getting the floor plate on with the inner cord in.  Looks like I'm redoing this tonight.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Thought I just mentioned that..........
Link Posted: 5/17/2009 4:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I need to go to FL for the upcoming holiday weekend and I plan on taking the Bushmaster with me.

Since I don't have time to wait for paracord, I improvised. I found something at Wal•Mart that worked perfectly.

Shoe Gear brand "Alpine" boot laces ($2). These appear to be nothing more than paracord with ends affixed to make laces out of them.

They come in brown, black, and a brown/red/gold camo-looking color. Of course, they were out of black so I chose the camo.

Cut to length, stripped out the core, knotted the loops, and installed them according to the instructions posted by dSmith45...

Here you can see the difference. The 30-round mag in the first pouch has the loop. The next one doesn't, and it's about ¾" to 1" down below the top of the pouch. These pouches will hold two 20's or a 40-rounder, so a 30 is a little short. They're not hard to get out, you can push them from the bottom to get them clear of the pouch, but it is a little slow (and it can take two hands). The loops will make it much faster and easier.

I've installed loops on the mags in the other two pouches, so now I'm good to go.

These will work nicely, until I can get some green or black paracord. I'm travelling light so I'm only taking the three 30-round mags in the pouches and one 20-round in the center pocket.

Oh, and a couple of 120-round bandoliers (just in case).

Link Posted: 5/17/2009 8:09:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I need to go to FL for the upcoming holiday weekend and I plan on taking the Bushmaster with me.

Since I don't have time to wait for paracord, I improvised. I found something at Wal•Mart that worked perfectly.

Shoe Gear brand "Alpine" boot laces ($2). These appear to be nothing more than paracord with ends affixed to make laces out of them.

They come in brown, black, and a brown/red/gold camo-looking color. Of course, they were out of black so I chose the camo.

Cut to length, stripped out the core, knotted the loops, and installed them according to the instructions posted by dSmith45...

http://www.fototime.com./%7B06417A77-D4FE-4143-8595-EFE9071E87DB%7D/origpict/shoestringpull1%28med%29.jpg

Here you can see the difference. The 30-round mag in the first pouch has the loop. The next one doesn't, and it's about ¾" to 1" down below the top of the pouch. These pouches will hold two 20's or a 40-rounder, so a 30 is a little short. They're not hard to get out, you can push them from the bottom to get them clear of the pouch, but it is a little slow (and it can take two hands). The loops will make it much faster and easier.

http://www.fototime.com./%7BA148FFA2-A92D-4E99-A7CC-EBCCBA251782%7D/origpict/shoestringpull2%28med%29.jpg

I've installed loops on the mags in the other two pouches, so now I'm good to go.

These will work nicely, until I can get some green or black paracord. I'm travelling light so I'm only taking the three 30-round mags in the pouches and one 20-round in the center pocket.
Oh, and a couple of 120-round bandoliers (just in case).

That looks good, Terry!  Hope they work out for you.  Safe journey on your road trip.

-d

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top