Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2005 8:58:53 AM EDT
What product do I use for a durable finish? I will be painting my CAR stock, forearm, and Ergo grip. Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:01:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Duracoat.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:04:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking of getting some Duracoat. How tough is it, compared to Krylon camo spray paint as a reference point?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Please excuse my ignorance but does Duracoat have to be baked on? I'm in a similar situation (want to paint some plastic hardware gray) and have been looking at Alumahyde II.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:31:27 AM EDT
[#4]
More of Norrels Moly resin guy myself.  Works great on plastic, but yah, it needs to be baked.

-Gazzy!
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:34:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a (very light) green Samco G27 grip that I would like to match a CavArms OD stock. Is there a regular (e.g. Krylon) color that will provide a good match without the hassle of baking ? I'm not too worried if a bit wears off over time, as the lighter green showing through will probably not notice too much.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:37:41 AM EDT
[#6]
You can't actually back plastic furniture can you?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 9:52:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You can't actually back plastic furniture can you?

You can to a point. Baking something vs. applying an open flame to it will affect the plastic differently. What I am not sure of is the temperature limit in regards to baking plastic.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#8]
I always use Brownell's Alumahyde II for furniture, no baking.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

DING DING DING...............
Dave G taught me about Alumahyde but I cure in a BIG Counter Top Convection Oven that I also use on PCB SMT work.  Alumahyde matches perfectly with ARMALITE's green.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:48:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Why not just buy the OD furniture instead of painting anything? That would make the most sense to me, just because if you get tired of the OD you can always go back to black without having to strip paint of your furniture. Thanks Arvin
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#11]
You can bake plastic parts with Norrells Moly Resin at 250*F for 1 1/2 hr (instead of 300*F for 1 hour as on metal).  

The problem with Krylon, it is too easily affected by various oils and solvents.  

As far as match, here is Norrell Moly Resin OD on an upper with OD furniture from Armalite:

Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:03:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DING DING DING...............
Dave G taught me about Alumahyde but I cure in a BIG Counter Top Convection Oven that I also use on PCB SMT work.  Alumahyde matches perfectly with ARMALITE's green.

Interesting. The directions for Alumahyde specify that the parts should be heated to 90 degrees and that they will cure faster at 9 degrees but I can't say I've seen an oven that will go that low. I take it you can bake them at a slightly higher temperature (120 degrees) for less time?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Why not just buy the OD furniture instead of painting anything? That would make the most sense to me, just because if you get tired of the OD you can always go back to black without having to strip paint of your furniture. Thanks Arvin

shhhh....just drink the kool aid

He may be like me and have some extra black furniture around or he may be just looking for a way to experiment
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#14]
How does Krylon stand up to oil and solvents?
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:37:00 AM EDT
[#15]
not well

use Duracoat and an airbrush...No need to bake.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#16]
ok thanx...ARin
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 5:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Psst, I just got a set of green furniture for under $40
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#18]
ya, in fact, you might spend more on the airbrush and the duracoat than it would cost to buy the OD furniture.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top