Black as Knights Armament panels, black as coal
I wanna see the sun blotted out from the sky
I wanna see it painted, painted, painted, painted black
Yeah!

4 cans of Brake Cleaner
+ 6 hours of scrubbing
+ 5 bottles of Pilsner Urquell Czech beer
+ a buzz, either from the beer or the brake cleaner fumes

= My baby back to black! It was fun while it lasted!

From this:

Back to this:

Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:04:49 AM EDT
[#1]

looks like it never happened... just got tired of the desert?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
So brake cleaner cleaned it up that good? How did it affect the plastic parts?
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

... just got tired of the desert?

Yep, just thought I'd try it out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So brake cleaner cleaned it up that good? How did it affect the plastic parts?

It did take some scrubbing with a tooth brush and acid brush but the brake cleaner loosens up the Krylon real quick! No effect on the plastic at all. I gave each piece a good wipe down with Breakfree CLP because the brake cleaner really dries out the metal.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:34:17 AM EDT
[#5]
I liked the first pic better.
Hell of a fine paint job.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I always grin when I see a guy around here with a rilfe painted in a desert theme. That ought to blend in real well in KY or TN.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I always grin when I see a guy around here with a rilfe painted in a desert theme. That ought to blend in real well in KY or TN.

Actually here in Colorado this paint scheme blended in really well, mountains or plains, there is all ways sand, rock and grass hence the tan and OD green.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:42:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

probably better than shiny black.

BTW, QUIB, nice set-up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 11:46:20 AM EDT
[#9]
To give you full truth.  I don't like all the desert paint jobs.  Maybe some green furniture once in a while, but I really like just plain black.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, QUIB, nice set-up.

The rifle pictured above has enough color to blend in different enviroments. The ones I was referring to are the almost solid light tan ones with a few grey "rocks" painted here and there. They are so damn bright they look lamost white in the sun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 3:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
The before pic is a X
Link Posted: 9/6/2004 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Man I am glad I only painted my stock and rail panels.  Now it the next 2 weeks how many of you guys are going to go scrub the paint off your rifles.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:40:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked it painted better but I also like it black... Hell, it's an AR, I dont care what color it is...
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 6:48:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I see the black rifle, the other is a big red X.

TG
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:55:38 PM EDT
[#15]
The song is funny .
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:07:27 PM EDT
[#16]
You know what's funny?  You got into an argument with a guy while you were contemplating painting it tan.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:43:12 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
You know what's funny?  You got into an argument with a guy while you were contemplating painting it tan.  

Who........me?  

But your point would be..................................?
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:13:17 AM EDT
[#18]
I'll send the paint if you want to paint it again.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:30:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I'll send the paint if you want to paint it again.

Ok, but you have to send the cans of brake cleaner and beer along with the paint, for when I change my mind again!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:37:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW, QUIB, nice set-up.

The rifle pictured above has enough color to blend in different enviroments. The ones I was referring to are the almost solid light tan ones with a few grey "rocks" painted here and there. They are so damn bright they look lamost white in the sun.

+1
Shades of brown work in a lot of environments, and a lot of seasons whereas green is good mostly in the summer, and neither are as good as solid white in the winter. I live in MI and I've been going with coyote brown for it's versatility.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:36:07 AM EDT
[#21]
How can you guys like the cammo paint better than black version?

The black version looks totally badass!  TOTALLY!  It would make Hillary Clinton shiver with disgust (and maybe lube up her panties a little?).he

I know some of you guys love the paint jobs, and I respect your decision to deface your own property.  After all, we need to stick together, because we are all hated outcasts from society.have

I just think that the cammo guys are trying to compensate for something.In summary, welcome back! to the ranks of the League of Excellent Black Rifle Dudes.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

The black version looks totally badass!  TOTALLY!  It would make Hillary Clinton shiver with disgust (and maybe lube up her panties a little?).

The cammo version looks too Johnnie Tactical Commando (TM).

I know some of you guys love the paint jobs, and I respect your decision to deface your own property.  After all, we need to stick together, because we are all hated outcasts from society.

But I'm going to have to go out on a limb here and suggest that if there was an all-out battle between the cammo rifle guys and the black rifle guys, well, the black rifle guys who totally wipe out the cammo guys. In less than a day.  Just my 2 cents.

I just think that the cammo guys are trying to compensate for something.

In summary, welcome back! to the ranks of the League of Excellent Black Rifle Dudes.

There's very little solid black in nature. There are even fewer straight lines. Breaking up both will improve your concealment. You do it to give yourself an edge. It may or may not matter when it comes down to it, but it doesn't hurt.
Purple CAV15 aside, I don't make any decisions based on what looks cool. Or what will make somebody else think my rifle is cool. I make decisions based on what will make the weapon perform at the highest level.
As far as looking too Johnnie Tactical Commando (TM). One could say that just as easily about any AR.
God, I hope they don't ban camo paint next.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The black version looks totally badass!  TOTALLY!  It would make Hillary Clinton shiver with disgust (and maybe lube up her panties a little?).

The cammo version looks too Johnnie Tactical Commando (TM).

I know some of you guys love the paint jobs, and I respect your decision to deface your own property.  After all, we need to stick together, because we are all hated outcasts from society.

But I'm going to have to go out on a limb here and suggest that if there was an all-out battle between the cammo rifle guys and the black rifle guys, well, the black rifle guys who totally wipe out the cammo guys. In less than a day.  Just my 2 cents.

I just think that the cammo guys are trying to compensate for something.

In summary, welcome back! to the ranks of the League of Excellent Black Rifle Dudes.

There's very little solid black in nature. There are even fewer straight lines. Breaking up both will improve your concealment. You do it to give yourself an edge. It may or may not matter when it comes down to it, but it doesn't hurt.
Purple CAV15 aside, I don't make any decisions based on what looks cool. Or what will make somebody else think my rifle is cool. I make decisions based on what will make the weapon perform at the highest level.
As far as looking too Johnnie Tactical Commando (TM). One could say that just as easily about any AR.

It also makes the weapon more difficult to spot through an IR viewer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Shhhh, don't give em any ideas. They've already tried orange barrels on toy guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Black is beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Shhhh, don't give em any ideas. They've already tried orange barrels on toy guns.

But, have you ever considered painting your AR blue with a red flash hider
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#27]

Joking aside,

the problem with spraypaint is that the totally badass look of the gun is ruined.

You end up with a very low-rent looking gun.  It looks like a piece of your house furnance that you're trying to keep from rusting.

Sort of like if you bought a shiny black 1969 440 charger and gave it a krylon desert cammo paint job.  Might work better, but what a price to pay.

Maybe a molded-in cammo pattern on the buttstock and handguard would be a compromise.

Anyway, to each his own.  I might not like your paint job, my fine friend, but I would gladly loan you a can of krylon if you were in need.    The enemy of my enemy is my friend!
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#28]
My rifles are more reliable than any muscle car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:09:58 AM EDT
[#29]
I'm not trying to compensate for anything.  I know what I'm made of.  I painted one of my ARs b/c I wanted change; I was tired of plain black ARs.  Aside from breaking up the outline of the gun, the paint acts as a barrier for the finish, and gets torn up b/f the real finish on my gun.  I don't really care about whether or not gun doesn't look valuble either.  My guns are tools, not safe queens.  I'm going to use my gun for how it works, not if it looks pretty, and I don't plan on selling it, so who cares if it looks devalued.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Black is beautiful.

WORD
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:25:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[God, I hope they don't ban camo paint next.

Me either.  I don't want to paint my rifle but if they ban it I guess I will have to
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#32]

But, have you ever considered painting your AR blue with a red flash hiderhis
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm opposed to painting the black rifle in camo ever since I dropped mine in the weeds and couldn't find it again.  Seems to me it would work either way, although getting a roll of realtree tape might be the best bet, it's a little easier to take off than rustoleum when you change your mind.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top