Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2005 7:44:50 AM EDT
I have done some searching, but haven't found the exact info I am looking for.

Here's my setup:  Aimpoint M3 on ARMS #22M68 w/cantilever and ARMS #40 BUIS.  I mount the weapon NTCH, so the PVS will be relatively far forward; I can move the M3 onto the 12 o'clock rail of the DD handguard if necessary for clearance.  Ideally, the PVS would share the same optical axis of the M3, and would clear the BUIS.  I can buy a #40L if absolutely necessary, but would obviously prefer not to spend the money.

Does anybody have pics of a similar setup using an LT, ARMS #29, or GG&G?  Other suggestions?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#1]
So nobody has any comentary at all?

It looks like the #40 will need to be replaced with a #40L; oh well, it will find a good home on another weapon.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my PRI mount, it's height adjustable.  Don't care for the GI mount, can't have even the lowest BUIS under it.

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:08:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Not quite the setup you are looking for, but here is my PVS-14 with a Larue mount over a Troy BUIS. Forearm is a KAC RAS II with a Larue low Aimpoint mount. After taking it out and shooting it, I moved the PVS-14 closer to the Aimpoint than is shown in the pic. I have found that the closer the '14 is to the Aimpoint, the more light is transmitted to the users eye, and also the body of the aimpoint seems to make less of a 'footprint' when looking through the NV.

The Larue mount is nice, and clears an ARMS 40 sight, but sometimes I think I would feel a little more confident with something that uses the existing mounting hole like the PRI mount does, rather than attaching to the focusing ring.

I took it out and shot it last night...  another user here and I were hitting a fairly large metal target about 300 yards away, that was painted black and VERY hard to see, with no moon at all and quite some distance  from any ambient city light. I may have to pick up the light that Victor is selling when funds permit.

Dave
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:43:01 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Not quite the setup you are looking for, but here is my PVS-14 with a Larue mount over a Troy BUIS. Forearm is a KAC RAS II with a Larue low Aimpoint mount. After taking it out and shooting it, I moved the PVS-14 closer to the Aimpoint than is shown in the pic. I have found that the closer the '14 is to the Aimpoint, the more light is transmitted to the users eye, and also the body of the aimpoint seems to make less of a 'footprint' when looking through the NV.

The Larue mount is nice, and clears an ARMS 40 sight, but sometimes I think I would feel a little more confident with something that uses the existing mounting hole like the PRI mount does, rather than attaching to the focusing ring.

img310.imageshack.us/img310/8225/rasiimedium3wm.jpg

I took it out and shot it last night...  another user here and I were hitting a fairly large metal target about 300 yards away, that was painted black and VERY hard to see, with no moon at all and quite some distance  from any ambient city light. I may have to pick up the light that Victor is selling when funds permit.

Dave

You bring up a good point....There has been a few chit-chats over moutning mechanisms that attach to the 14's to the lens ring.  I have the ARMS #29 PVS-14 mount and a few things I do NOT like.  The number ONE issue I have with it;  I cannot leave the mount ring attached to the 14 when using a helmet mount. I have to take the ring off the lens each time because it interferes with the mount.   When I am weapon mounting for focus reasons, I have to bring the ring all the way back so I can still move the lens freely to focus. When I do this, there is not enough room for the helmet arm.  Some attach the mount ring forward to the lens, and just turn the body of the PVS-14 to focus.  I find under recoil, the housing moves pretty easy, thus getting me out of focus.  Sooo, the easy way around this for me was to buy an addditonal 14. To be specific, a new MUM to stay on my head at all times!  I know, pretty expensive work-around BUT it worked to convince the "minister of finance!" The second thing is the design itself.  While I still use the mount, I am very concerned if a large impact occurs to the 14 while mounted. I feel there is a chance if the impact was large enough, the lens could snap off the body!!  A pretty expensive situation if that occurred.  I have NOT heard of this happening, but ALL the stress (if something like this happened)  would be on the lens alone.

Now the thing I REALLY like about the #29 is the incredbile speed one can get the PVS-14 off the mount. Very fast,  but the trade off is, the above issues.  

I've never tried the PRI but heard good things about it, thanks Duff!  I need to try one out one day.  I think (if its not been done already) a night vision mount review is in order!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:44:12 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree, I like having my EOTech way ahead of the PVS14, that way it sees much less of the EOTech's HUD frame.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks all; please keep the input coming.

Quoted:
I think (if its not been done already) a night vision mount review is in order!

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Vic,
I'll start a thread with some pics of the two (woo hoo...) mounts I have, y'all can jump in with more pics and stuff
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Vic,
I'll start a thread with some pics of the two (woo hoo...) mounts I have, y'all can jump in with more pics and stuff

Sounds good...I get to show my medicore picture taking skills once again I see!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
mm, I really did not want to use a clamp-type mount and went with the GI.  I have a KAC 300m BUIS, M2 and cantilever spacer mounted to the forward end of the receiver w/no rail system.  I had to grind the GI mount just a bit to clear the KAC.  This setup works well for me and allows me to use the threaded mounting hole on the PVS, while keeping my BUIS zeroed on the rifle.  I do not have any pics at the moment.  As Victor notes, the drawback of this system is that if you wish to switch to a head or helmet mount you must remove the GI mount and attach the head/helmut mount.  It is easy to do, but it still takes a couple of minutes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:17:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Who has the best prices on the PRI M69?? We need a group buy or some way to get the price down to a reasonable level!

Duffy, is your BUIS a #40L?

Thanks,
Bill
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Resolved, it's a Troy BattleSight
I really lucked out on my PRI sight.  A gentleman was selling a bunch of stuff, one of which was the PRI PVS14 mount.  I think I paid $150 for it
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I am leaning towards the PRI as well; for $150, I would buy it INSTANTLY!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
mm, I really did not want to use a clamp-type mount and went with the GI.  I have a KAC 300m BUIS, M2 and cantilever spacer mounted to the forward end of the receiver w/no rail system.  I had to grind the GI mount just a bit to clear the KAC.  This setup works well for me and allows me to use the threaded mounting hole on the PVS, while keeping my BUIS zeroed on the rifle.  I do not have any pics at the moment.  As Victor notes, the drawback of this system is that if you wish to switch to a head or helmet mount you must remove the GI mount and attach the head/helmut mount.  It is easy to do, but it still takes a couple of minutes.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Wes/Fox; a picture is indeed worth a thousand words!

That thumbscrew is going to be all over my BUIS, considering where I think the occular is going to end up [forward] longitudonally.  Do I dare trouble you for a shot from the rear of the weapon along the barrel axis?

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 3:04:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks Duffy, nice rig!
Bill V.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:36:17 AM EDT
[#16]
mm, I do not have a camera available.  It was Wes who turned my onto this.  Note that he has replaced the thumb screw with a smaller version.  I had to do the same.  The diameter of the standard mounting knob/screw was too large.  I went to the local hardware store (a REAL hardware store) and they had a knob that was much smaller.  I believe it is a standard 1/4" x 20 tpi.  Also, note that Wes is also using a KAC 300, which has a much smaller footprint than most sights.  The only difference between our setups is that I am using a 22M68 mount w/cantilever spacer, mounted to the front-most slot on the receiver.  I have no additional rails and standard M4 hand-guards.  Alignment is perfect.

Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:48:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the clarification, Fox.  I did notice the non-standard thumbscrew.

I am waiting on the "brown truck" as we speak.  

After I become more familiar with the unit and take some measurements, I'll make a final decision.  Right now, I am leaning towards the PRI for the rigidity/adjustability and access to objective adjustment vs. HSLD swapping between weapon and helmet mount.  Once that is sorted, I can select a new BUIS, as the #40 clearly isn't going to work from what I see in front of me now.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I am waiting on the "brown truck" as we speak.  

Not any more!!  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:42:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I tried out the USGI mount [after having removed the #40], and to maintain my normal cheekweld required it to be at the T8 position, thus necessitating movement of the M3 to the handguard.

I then put my M3 back in its normal position [T11], and put the USGI as far forward as it would go [T5], but the cheekweld wasn't quite right.

Finally, I just went ahead and ordered the PRI and a #40L.  Will post pics when the mount arrives.

Thanks all.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 6:50:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Don't forget to post pics here
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I saw that thread you started Duffy, will do.  First I need to learn how to post pics; have a tutor coming by today that should get me squared away.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top