Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/26/2013 5:40:07 AM EDT
Yes, you can buy a crossbow upper for your AR15, and it's not as crazy as it sounds.  The PSE TAC15 is actually a great crossbow only burdened by its length.  This is a far cry from the rail-mounted chainsaw. :)

With both centerfire and rimfire ammo really hard to find at any price, shooting arrows instead has become very appealing for me.  This upper is crazy fun just as a crossbow, but it can be a decent training aid for precision shooting since everything feels exactly the same until the trigger breaks.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one and it's cool as can be just have to find time to sight it in
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
they are cool but who wants to fill out a form 4473, state wating period etc to get a crossbow?  If you already have the lower than it makes sense.  I dont think the product makes commercial sense.  I am a bow hunter and I have a crossbow with better specs and less money.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:18:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
they are cool but who wants to fill out a form 4473, state wating period etc to get a crossbow?  If you already have the lower than it makes sense.  I dont think the product makes commercial sense.  I am a bow hunter and I have a crossbow with better specs and less money.

The TAC15 is for people who already have an AR lower. PSE also make a complete crossbow called the TAC15i, which does not need an AR lower.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 7:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the TAC15i lower removable? Can you get an "unregistered" lower going that route?!?!?!
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 9:43:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is the TAC15i lower removable? Can you get an "unregistered" lower going that route?!?!?!

Of course not.  The TAC15i is intentionally different for obvious reasons
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#6]
is the point to own a crossbow or a toy built from an ar15?

because if the point is to have a cross bow you are wasting your money for something not very practical or comparable in the market.

sorry... it's practical if you are the biggest modern warfare fan in the world I guess.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 1:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
is the point to own a crossbow or a toy built from an ar15?

because if the point is to have a cross bow you are wasting your money for something not very practical or comparable in the market.

sorry... it's practical if you are the biggest modern warfare fan in the world I guess.

I'm too old to have played any FPS games after the original Doom back in the early 90s, and I take it you didn't actually watch the video because the sense that this came from a video game is the very first point I make.  I even make a jab at the name.

That said, while it is long, it is very fast, very accurate, and has a lot of features that many would like to see in more crossbows (railless, tunable design; integral, gear-reduced cocking device; replaceable trigger; etc.).  Though PSE clearly had a certain target market in mind when they named it, it is a real deal contender for those who like to shoot arrows into tiny groups at very long ranges.  It is not my first choice for hunting, but it is also plenty capable if you have the room and a good rest.

This would never be my recommendation for someone's first crossbow, and it is certainly a niche product.  However, it is more than just a toy or a joke AR15 product.  It has many fans in the crossbow world among those even older than I that have never played video games in their lives.
Link Posted: 2/26/2013 6:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]
QuietRiot11 is coorect about how large the PSE crossbow upper is so I wanted something smaller
Guns that shoot arrows are more fun than a cross bow.
I have made a few of these barrels and they use the 22 blanks from home depot.
Almost double the speed as my Mathews compound launching arrows of the same weight and accurate.
This barrel threads on like a suppressor

I think I will make one for the AR next and it will look like a nomal AR when done.

Link Posted: 2/26/2013 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
That is awesome!
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 3:07:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It's 5 feet long.

Link Posted: 3/1/2013 4:31:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
QuietRiot11 is coorect about how large the PSE crossbow upper is so I wanted something smaller
Almost double the speed as my Mathews compound launching arrows of the same weight and accurate.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrelw.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel7w.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel9w.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel4w.jpg
I think I will make one for the AR next and it will look like a nomal AR when done.

Do you sell those?  I always wanted something like that.
Link Posted: 3/1/2013 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrelw.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel7w.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel9w.jpg
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/ArrowBarrel4w.jpg

Do you sell those?  I always wanted something like that.

i want one too
Link Posted: 3/12/2013 10:02:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Count me in as well! Thats awesome!
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 12:43:05 PM EDT
[#14]
The first time I heard of this crossbow I thought it was a great idea.  With my disability getting worse shooting a compound has gotten almost impossible for me and already having a few AR's this seemed the perfect answer.  One day, while at my LGS I come across one on display....talk about suck the wind out of me, the price was ridiculous (can't remember what it was but I had major sticker shock) and, while I knew it was long,  I realized it was insanely long and heavy.  Would be ok for shooting off a rest but there's no way I could shoot it accurately offhand (I'm 5'9 and pretty strong) so using it in a hunting situation just wasn't practical.  Hauling it through the woods would be like carrying a boat anchor because of it's size and weight.  I can see if you're a big guy that makes normal sized gear look small, liking it because it would be "normal" sized for giants lol.  

The actual construction looked very good and the concept is brilliant but it's sized most potential buyers right out because it's just too big.  I know a lot of you will argue that but if you're an average person without an AR lower the size and price will be a major deterrent and if you do have a lower the size and price will be the same especially when compared to much smaller crossbows that are just as powerful and much cheaper.  With it's size and price it's cornered itself into a small niche market of tactical lovers who will buy anything cool (which I generally fall into other than this one) no matter how practical it is.

Super cool design and concept...if they ever make a human sized version I'll be first in line.
Link Posted: 3/13/2013 12:53:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Same one John Malkovich uses in "RED".

Link Posted: 3/13/2013 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The first time I heard of this crossbow I thought it was a great idea.  With my disability getting worse shooting a compound has gotten almost impossible for me and already having a few AR's this seemed the perfect answer.  One day, while at my LGS I come across one on display....talk about suck the wind out of me, the price was ridiculous (can't remember what it was but I had major sticker shock) and, while I knew it was long,  I realized it was insanely long and heavy.  Would be ok for shooting off a rest but there's no way I could shoot it accurately offhand (I'm 5'9 and pretty strong) so using it in a hunting situation just wasn't practical.  Hauling it through the woods would be like carrying a boat anchor because of it's size and weight.  I can see if you're a big guy that makes normal sized gear look small, liking it because it would be "normal" sized for giants lol.  

The actual construction looked very good and the concept is brilliant but it's sized most potential buyers right out because it's just too big.  I know a lot of you will argue that but if you're an average person without an AR lower the size and price will be a major deterrent and if you do have a lower the size and price will be the same especially when compared to much smaller crossbows that are just as powerful and much cheaper.  With it's size and price it's cornered itself into a small niche market of tactical lovers who will buy anything cool (which I generally fall into other than this one) no matter how practical it is.

Super cool design and concept...if they ever make a human sized version I'll be first in line.

You'll get no argument from me about it being cumbersome.  It is clearly so.  However, it does have a lot of well thought-out features that make up for the length for some people.  You have to know what your needs are, as you clearly do, to know whether or not this is a good fit.

I would not recommend anyone buy any crossbow without shooting one first.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top