Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2003 6:44:28 AM EDT
I'm working on a 20" upper build and I'm trying to decide between the PRI and KAC folding front sights. BTW, I'm putting a TA-31 on this upper and I prefer to not have the front sight in the optic's FOV.

Anyway, they both seem very well-made and rugged. On one hand, I like the simplicity of the PRI. The sight is the gas block and the whole thing is bolted to the barrel. On the other hand, the KAC attaches to the RAS and could easily be removed if it were to becoming damaged (which I agree is very unlikely anyway). With the KAC, I would have to get a gas block which will increase the overall cost. Not a big deal but still part of the equation.

I've seen a ot of SPR builds with both sights so it seems they are both highly regarded by real operators. It seems that this is another case of "you can't go wrong with either one" much like the never-ending Aimpoint vs. EO Tech debate. I just want to make sure I'm not missing any deficiencies in either sight or any differences between them. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#1]
The PRI has a hooded front post, and the KAC doesn't. Some people like the sight picture with it, and some do not.

Don't forget the Troy Industries folding front sight. It's $50 less than the KAC and offers a hooded front post [;)]

-Cap'n
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I hear ya on the hooded front sight post Cap'n. I can take it or leave it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Troy Industries. I hadn't seen their stuff. It looks nice but I can't find a lot of info on them so I'm a little leery. That's not to say I think they're bad but I don't have a anything to go on.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#3]
All the SPR's that I have seen, whether they were O or 1 models by the gov't used the PRI.
Jack
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
have both go with the pri. its solid easy to open and like you said cost less.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 2:54:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
have both go with the pri. its solid easy to open and like you said cost less.
View Quote

Now that I've given this subject some more thought today, I am going to go with the PRI.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
All the SPR's that I have seen, whether they were O or 1 models by the gov't used the PRI.
Jack
View Quote

The Jan. '04 issue of Soldier of fortune magazine shows an operator pic'd on the cover sighting through an SPR pattern rifle that uses a gas  block w/o sight. There is a KAC fold down front sight on the RAS.

But for the record I use the PRI on my carbine.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 3:38:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
REGARDLESS OF YOUR CHOICE, I KNOW WHO CARRIES BOTH.

HAPPY NEW YEAR,

WES
View Quote

Well, who do you think was I going to buy it from? [:)] I'm waiting for an FN barrel I bought off the EE to arrive and, once it does, I'm going to have you guys install it along with the PRI and a KAC FF RAS and an ARMS #32 w/Harris Bipod w/Monoloc. I've already got my "defense" budget for 2004 done and you guys are my primary vendor.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Jan. '04 issue of Soldier of fortune magazine shows an operator pic'd on the cover sighting through an SPR pattern rifle that uses a gas  block w/o sight. There is a KAC fold down front sight on the RAS.
View Quote

I saw the same rifle. Its been ten years since I purchased a SOF magazine. I saw the picture of the U.S. SF with a SPR and bought it. It did have a KAC front folder on it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 4:52:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Any reason you aren't considering the GG&G unit?
Link Posted: 12/31/2003 10:13:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, the GG&G unit has the bayonet lug and accessory rail attachment capability, but the PRI has the hooded sight.  What is more important to you?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 5:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Well, I can't see myself needing to fix a bayonet anytime soon and the last thing I'll need on this upper is another rail (it's getting a KAC FF RAS) so the PRI still seems like the best choice for me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:31:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I did consider the GG&G, but wasn't keen on sending them my barrel to have it done, I can do it myself.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I did consider the GG&G, but wasn't keen on sending them my barrel to have it done, I can do it myself.
View Quote

Well, that would definitely rule them out then. That's good to know. Thank you Duffy.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top