Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 10:32:31 PM EDT
Hello,

I just got a new PRI Gasbuster charging handle from Brownells for Xmas & it's plum colored! It matches NON of my uppers. Is this the normal color? Does anyone out there have a black or non-purple one? All advice, info & replies are greatly appreciated!

Robert
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#1]
its the anodizing.

you could exchange it but the odds of getting the same in return is greater than none. recoat it if it really bothers you or just spray paint it.

does it work though? thats the real issue
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It only looks purple in the photo because of the lighting...

Just kidding.

Let us know how it works.

Gene
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Hello,

I just got a new PRI Gasbuster charging handle from Brownells for Xmas & it's plum colored! It matches NON of my uppers. Is this the normal color? Does anyone out there have a black or non-purple one? All advice, info & replies are greatly appreciated!

Robert

The PRI Gas Buster CH I bought about 10 months ago is pitch black and it is probably one of the best
items I have purchased for my RRA M4. It is very solid!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven't tried it because of the color. I'm not spending over $70 for something that doesn't match my upper. For that much money, you would think that they could get it right.

Quoted:
its the anodizing.

you could exchange it but the odds of getting the same in return is greater than none. recoat it if it really bothers you or just spray paint it.

does it work though? thats the real issue

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:13:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Maybe you got one from the limited-run made for K-VAR?
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I'll refinish it in socom flat black Norrels moly-resin for free if you like.

I would like to look at a gasbuster is person before I buy one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:28:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Hell, I'll even buy it if you want to sell it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:52:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Why can't the manufacturers learn how to anodize? Is it that fucking difficult to anodize something black? If they are not anodizing it why don't they send the shipment back to the anodizer and say that the finish is unacceptable. I've never seen a purple SIG frame.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 11:48:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why can't the manufacturers learn how to anodize? Is it that fucking difficult to anodize something black? If they are not anodizing it why don't they send the shipment back to the anodizer and say that the finish is unacceptable. I've never seen a purple SIG frame.

It has to do with the # of pieces done per dye bath...Some BMs had that problem as they ran a bunch through quickly before the AWB.... Id send it back.. Brownells is very good on returns, they will even credit you back for the shipping $$ for the return...
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I have one and it is alittle purple. Not enough for me to return it though. It does however function flawlessly and thats what counts the most. I do agree that they shoudn't be sending out a charging handle that costs 90 bucks if the finish isnt up to snuff. I also have a pri flip up front sight thats a little purple as well.
 If it bothers you too much then send it back.  While your at it tell them to stop sending out products with a bad finish. We spend enough for it that they can get it right
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 5:58:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I've sent back to PRI's customer service to hopefully get a black one. If not, I'll return it to Brownells for a refund. I figured that PRI would be able to pick out one that is black from their smaller line vs Brownells going out through their 1000's of inventory to look at charging handles. Besides Brownells didn't make it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Yet another thread in an ever-growing number of threads with people concerned that their part(s) don't exactly match their gun color-wise.

Jesus.............

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:10:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one black one and one purple one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yet another thread in an ever-growing number of threads with people concerned that their part(s) don't exactly match their gun color-wise.

Jesus.............

Yet another post in an ever-growing number of posts from people that are assholes.

Jesus.............

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:27:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus.............

Yet another post in an ever-growing number of posts from people that are assholes.

Jesus.............

Not an asshole, just tired of seeing these threads.  

I too have a PRI CH on my recce-clone rifle, and it is a bit purple in color in the right light.

But as far as I remember, I bought it to deflect the extra gas my suppressor produces, not because it was black and looked cool.  

And by the way, my earlier comments were not directed to Tac2cal in particular, just to the theme of his post and how it has grown in number the past few months.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:40:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I have only owned one and it was black as midnight.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:15:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus.............

Jesus.............

Not an asshole, just tired of seeing these threads.  

I too have a PRI CH on my recce-clone rifle, and it is a bit purple in color in the right light.

But as far as I remember, I bought it to deflect the extra gas my suppressor produces, not because it was black and looked cool.  

And by the way, my earlier comments were not directed to Tac2cal in particular, just to the theme of his post and how it has grown in number the past few months.

If you don't like my posts then don't read them! Better yet, don't waste your time responding to them! I came to the board to see if others had this problem with their Gas Busters color. If it was just a bad batch or the color in general. I bought it to deflect the gas from my suppressor BUT I like my rifles black or at least close in color. You can waste your money if you like, but I expect to get what I pay for color & all.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Jesus.............

Well, when you spend nearly $90 for a charging handle, compared to a $20.   It does cause a concern.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:26:25 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Jesus.............

hr

I'm not picking on you personally but somehow I don't believe this would have been a concern for Tac2cal if the part was a different shade of black or gray and didn't match his rifle but PURPLE??!!! How about "shake-me-baby" pink.... would that be OK as long as it  functioned??? I'm all about function first as well but what I'm getting tired of seeing on this forum is shitty quality control on firearm parts (from many different manufacturers) to include canted BIUS, shitty anodizing .....you name it, the list is long. I'm not saying bitch about stupid stuff but by end users simply blowing everything off as "well if it functions what's your problem", this only sends the message to the manufacturers that it's OK to make shitty parts for this platform because it's only a "tool". When I order parts I want good quality in manufacturing, function AND looks.....then I will take those parts out and beat the shit out of them. I don't want to receive them in that condition.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:45:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I have PRI Gasbusters in all of my AR's (except my collector pieces) and that means quite a few.  

Some are a slight hint of purple (2) but did not start out that way.  After multiple range trips and cleanings they started to become noticeable.  I credited it to poor anodizing.

It is not such a big deal for me as these are my shooters and get most of the range time but if I had received them this way I would of sent them back.

Pay for quality, expect quality and nothing less.  

+1 PRI charges top prices for their components.

send it back if you aren't happy.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:49:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Because I felt like an ass I e-mailed PRI about your situation.  This is the answer I got from Mr. Dunlap:

The better the grade of aluminum the more likely it will have the "purpleish" tone in the sunlight.
The only thing we can do at the moment is guncoat the top of the "T" to a flat black.
Very sorry but this is a common problem through out the AR15 industry.

Seems like an honest answer.  Hope that helps any as to your options.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Because I felt like an ass I e-mailed PRI about your situation.  This is the answer I got from Mr. Dunlap:

The better the grade of aluminum the more likely it will have the "purpleish" tone in the sunlight.
The only thing we can do at the moment is guncoat the top of the "T" to a flat black.

Sounds like bullshit to me.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Thanks for your help. I've already sent the CH to PRI for them to exchange & I'll keep everyone abreast on any developments.

PS It sounds like bullshit to me too!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:56:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a brand new one a couple of weeks ago.

Purple as grape jelly.

BK

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 6:18:23 PM EDT
[#26]
Pitch BLACK.

MadDog
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I got my Gasbuster back from PRI. Instead of it being entirely purple the "T" handle is now grey. Looks like they Norrell'ed or Duracoated the "T", even though the invoice says Replacement. All is not lost because I'm going to use this on my blue label Colt Recce project.
I still need a black Gasbuster for my PWA/LMT SBR! After checking with Grant at G&R & Jason at JTAC both of them only have purple ones in stock. Does ANY dealer or individual have a black one that they are willing to sell?? Otherwise is ANY dealer or individual doing Duracoating or Norrell's? I don't know which is the more durable finish but I would want the toughest one. All advice, info & replies are greatly appreciated!

Robert
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:33:08 AM EDT
[#28]
The real question is does it match your purse?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I feel sorry for all the folks that are bothered by the color of their parts not matching. Shooting is so much more fun when you don't sweat the small stuff like matching finishes on your rifle.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
I have never seen a thousand dollar, purple, claw hammer either.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:16:15 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
The real question is does it match your purse?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Seriously though, I feel sorry for all the folks that are bothered by the color of their parts not matching. Shooting is so much more fun when you don't sweat the small stuff like matching finishes on your rifle.

If that's the case then why did Denny send back all his lowers? Why not just sell them as is & say  "Shooting is so much more fun when you don't sweat the small stuff like matching finishes on your rifle." Why? Because most people like uniformity or some semblance of uniformity. If it were free then that's one thing but if I buy something I want it right. I'll tell you what, give me one of your Gasbusters & you won't hear a word from me again.
Looking at the posts on this board, I'm not in the minority on this issue either.

Robert
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:39:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
If that's the case then why did Denny send back all his lowers? Why not just sell them as is & say  "Shooting is so much more fun when you don't sweat the small stuff like matching finishes on your rifle." Why? Because most people like uniformity or some semblance of uniformity. If it were free then that's one thing but if I buy something I want it right. I'll tell you what, give me one of your Gasbusters & you won't hear a word from me again.

Actually, to be more precise, there is a group of shooters that post here that want all the shades of colors on their rifles to match. While I can't speak for Denny, I can hypothesize that he sent the purple lowers back because he knew that some people would not want to buy them because they were not black and even then, he would have to sell them for less thereby reducing his profit.

Looking at the posts on this board, I'm not in the minority on this issue either.

Robert

Well, this board attracts a lot of casual/non-mil/LEO shooters. These people do not necessarily consider their weapons strictly tools (in the truest sense of the word) so aestethics matter to them. Just because a majority of people care about matching colors doesn't mean I think they're right necessarily.

For the record, I've got plenty of stuff on my ARs that doesn't match (a slighly purple KAC FF RAS, 2-3  shades of OD green, lowers and uppers in different shades of black). When you get right down to it, the rifle doesn't care about mismatched colors so why should you?

BTW, As you may have noticed by the smiley face, I'm just busting on you. I completely understand that if you're not satisified with a product for whatever reason, you should speak with the party that sold it to you to remedy the situation. Just consider the fact that when you're shooting your AR, the color of the charging handle doesn't affect the rifle's performance in the least bit. All I was suggesting is that if you don't let mismatched colors on your AR bother you, you will have eliminated one small source of aggravation in your life.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:54:03 PM EDT
[#32]
I think most people who worry about finish color feel that if the manufacturer allows the piece to come from a subcontractor with the wrong finish what are they letting the machining subcontractor get away with.  It's more an issue with the overall quality of the piece.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:01:10 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus.............

I'm not picking on you personally but somehow I don't believe this would have been a concern for Tac2cal if the part was a different shade of black or gray and didn't match his rifle but PURPLE??!!! How about "shake-me-baby" pink.... would that be OK as long as it  functioned??? I'm all about function first as well but what I'm getting tired of seeing on this forum is shitty quality control on firearm parts (from many different manufacturers) to include canted BIUS, shitty anodizing .....you name it, the list is long. I'm not saying bitch about stupid stuff but by end users simply blowing everything off as "well if it functions what's your problem", this only sends the message to the manufacturers that it's OK to make shitty parts for this platform because it's only a "tool". When I order parts I want good quality in manufacturing, function AND looks.....then I will take those parts out and beat the shit out of them. I don't want to receive them in that condition.

I just thought this needed repeating.

Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I think most people who worry about finish color feel that if the manufacturer allows the piece to come from a subcontractor with the wrong finish what are they letting the machining subcontractor get away with.  It's more an issue with the overall quality of the piece.

Y'know Bradd, I never thought of it that way.  If the sub-contractor doesn't care about the quality of finish then they may not care about the quality of the part itself. Then again, the color of the finish of the product is not conclusively indicative of the quality of the product so why should the sub-contractor care about the color of the finish? I've got a KAC FF RAS that has a slight purple tinge to it and I know that KAC is top notch gear. Nope, still not convinced it matters in the big picture but, as I stated previously, if you are not pleased with a product for any reason, then you need to resolve the problem.

In this case, I would contact PRI directly so they are aware that you are not pleased with the quality of their product. If the manufacturers don't deal with the problem on their end then it's just sh-t rolling downhill to us, the consumers.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I got my Gasbuster back from PRI. Instead of it being entirely purple the "T" handle is now grey. Looks like they Norrell'ed or Duracoated the "T", even though the invoice says Replacement. All is not lost because I'm going to use this on my blue label Colt Recce project.
I still need a black Gasbuster for my PWA/LMT SBR! After checking with Grant at G&R & Jason at JTAC both of them only have purple ones in stock. Does ANY dealer or individual have a black one that they are willing to sell?? Otherwise is ANY dealer or individual doing Duracoating or Norrell's? I don't know which is the more durable finish but I would want the toughest one. All advice, info & replies are greatly appreciated!

Robert

the cure

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top