Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/14/2006 8:01:32 PM EDT
Anybody have experiance with the third gen PRI handguard?

Heres one

Im thinking of using one for an SPR build and want to hear what you guys have to say about it.

TIA,
Ace
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:38:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Strong, light weight, well made, easy to customize, and stays relatively cool.  What's not to like?    I own one and have no regrets.  If you don't need the additional attachment "real estate" offered on other four-rail type tubes it should serve you well.  I like the fact that you can configure the rail pieces to your preference.  Remove unused ones to save weight, move them to suit your placement requirements, or replace them with longer rails if you need to.

You can definitely do much worse.  I put them right up there with LaRue and Daniel Defense.  Due to it's ability to be configured to meet various needs, it's an excellent choice for an SPR.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The PRI forearm is good if that is the "look" you're trying for.  On my build tho, because it's a 16" barrel with mid gas system and the PRI forearm is a rifle length one, the short screws/backing plate that hold the rail onto the handguard tube above the gas block (larue) was VERY close.  I remedied the interference by removing a screw/backing plate and replacing just the front one with a metric nut/bolt.  Top rail is still solid and nothing interferes with the barrel and its components in any way.  All in all a simple and very functional handguard.  Very well made too.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:50:43 PM EDT
[#3]
So if I were to get a rifle length PRI handguard, what size barrel should I get?

I was thinking 20" but with that pic Pup-dog posted would an 18" be better?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So if I were to get a rifle length PRI handguard, what size barrel should I get?

I was thinking 20" but with that pic Pup-dog posted would an 18" be better?

I'm not really sure what you are asking...  You should get the barrel length you want.

The issue Pup-dog mentioned is related to the location of the gas block.  You will find the same thing on any mid gas system barrel regardless of length.  The PRI is really designed to have the gas block in front of the tube.  PRI makes their tubes in 3 different lengths to accomodate the 3 different gas block locations common on the AR.  Their 7" tube is made for the M4 gas port barrels (usually 14.5" or 16"), the 9" tube is made for the mid gas port barrels (usually 16" although there are some 18" and 20" available), and the 12" tube is made for rifle-length gas port barrels (usually 20").
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:03:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The PRI forearm is good if that is the "look" you're trying for.

What do "looks" have to do with buying a PRI forearm?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks MashBill

I just got my first Black Rifle, and this'll be the first upper i put togeather on my own, so I'll definatly have a couple newbie questions here and there
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The PRI forearm is good if that is the "look" you're trying for.

What do "looks" have to do with buying a PRI forearm?

"Looks" wouldn't have anything to do with it if I were buying a LARUE or a DD or KAC railed handguard.  But with regards to the PRI, it "looks"  (notice the quotes) different than the others, and if that is what the OP wants then it IS his only choice.  Not a bad one at all might I add.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks MashBill

I just got my first Black Rifle, and this'll be the first upper i put togeather on my own, so I'll definatly have a couple newbie questions here and there

If you decide to go with the 20" barrel itll have a rifle length gas system and the gas block/front sight will sit in front of the PRI rifle length handguard.

If you decide to run an 18" barrel, then you can run it with a rifle length gas system OR a mid gas system.

If you decide on a mid gas system with the 18" barrel, you need a low profile gas block and the PRI rifle length handguard will hide the gas block like the pic I posted above.  The rifle length gas system on the 18" barrel the gas block/front sight will sit in front of the PRI rifle length tube.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle length tube with 20" barrel.

Carbine length tube with 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:59:22 AM EDT
[#11]
pup-dawg ...

Any way I could see some more pics of this cool assed rifle of yours?

BK
AmericanSnipers.org
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
pup-dawg ...

Any way I could see some more pics of this cool assed rifle of yours?

BK
AmericanSnipers.org

Funny, I was just going to ask the same thing

If you don't mind, some boring "meat and potatos" shots over the more unique angles would be appreciated (by me anyway).

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top