Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 8:53:28 AM EDT
It seems that since the ban has been lifted anything that was illegal due to the ban now is going for an inflated price. I am in the process of building two AR15's.  I have done my searches here on AR15.com and its INDUSTRY  section. To my dismay I have found many products that are just to damn expensive (collapsable stocks, carry handles, handguards, etc.) on many of the sites. I have seen some products like collapsable stocks that cost the same as a lower to build the gun it self!

For example handguards, two pieces of PLASTIC and a thin sheet of aluminium ranging from 25.00 to  $60.00 to even more if its shorter. If its shorter (M4) you are getting even less of the product but it costs more. That is just stupid.hatIt is military surplus. I bought two of them. I went to a gunshow this weekend and found all kinds of stuff WAAAAAYYYYY CHEAPER. It is brand new too. Triggers for $3.25, Bolt catch for $2.50!! The real eye opener was the collapsable stocks 6 position (with spring and buffer tube and buffer ) for $22.50 !!!!!

The INDUSTRY section is o.k.. But a word to all Newbies that want to build an AR15. DON'T  rely on just the sites listed. It is enough to make an honest man distrustful.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:01:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't confuse buying an expensive stock, with buying a standard stock.  They are both stocks, but they are also two very different things.  In general, the industry guys are all pretty competitive, they don't have a choice as this board is a fairly large market for gun toys.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 9:02:08 AM EDT
[#2]
beware of chineese parts

but yes some stuff is being overinflated in price
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:22:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Supply and demand. If you think it is too expensive, don't buy it. If the cost is worth it for you then get it. Yes the prices sucks, but it is reality.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Another thing to consider is the shortage of small parts. You are building 2 AR Rifles at a time when even the Manufactures are having trouble keeping parts in stock.

MT

What is an acceptable margin?
What does the average customer think the firearms dealer should make off say a $1000.00 weapon purchase?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:48:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The real eye opener was the collapsable stocks 6 position (with spring and buffer tube and buffer ) for $22.50 !!!!!

I have seen the exact thing myself, such a big price difference.

But i would rather by a RRA collapsable stock than one from china. I know fifty bucks is a huge difference but i will have this stock until i die.  I am tired of seeing all the copy cat crap from China.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:57:26 AM EDT
[#7]
You will learn in a hurry that you get what you pay for... Good Luck aS I think you will need it!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You will learn in a hurry that you get what you pay for... Good Luck aS I think you will need it!

Yeah, I've seen the bargain basement Chinese stocks at the shows.  You think you got a good deal? Put 3 or 4000 rounds thru the thing in the next year, then write us back on how your basemant bargain is doing.  

Bottom price innards? Unless they're GI surp Colt pieces, and you're willing to do the mods to "deM16" them, they're quite likely also Chinese garbage that will start giving you doubles after a few hundred rounds.

Aaaah, but you're from Texas, so of course you were born knowing everything

Sheeesh
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:09:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What does the average customer think the firearms dealer should make off say a $1000.00 weapon purchase?

What does the customer think margin should be? What some of you guys understand about running a business is incredibly miniscule. Forgive my bash of the ignorant, but "Gawd dang, that feller made 50 bucks off o' me. Dag nab frickin' frackin' sumbitch....blah blah blah."

Put some skin in the game and THEN see how you play.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#10]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What does the customer think margin should be? What some of you guys understand about running a business is incredibly miniscule. Forgive my bash of the ignorant, but "Gawd dang, that feller made 50 bucks off o' me. Dag nab frickin' frackin' sumbitch....blah blah blah."

Put some skin in the game and THEN see how you play.

Not quite sure what you are trying to say...I was just wondering what the customer thought  the typical margin was on the purchase of a firearm in the $1000.00 range.

MT Also not intending to get off the topic of price gouging.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Let me put it to you this way. The problem is not that the parts are out of stock! It is the price of the parts to begin with! Plastic is not THAT HARD to make.  Hell ,its just injection molded just like the plastic coke bottles! What a bunch of crap!

Parts made here in this country will fail.
Parts made in CHINA will fail.
You do not know when any of them will fail.
You do not know and neither do I where you part was made. You got it in a bag that said some company's name on it and took it for an American made part. Hell it could have been made in South America for all any of us know!hock.gif

Posts are all over this forum like a RASH  that speak for themselves about how a part (domestic) will not work or even fit. I have built with parts out of a bin at a gunshow. You and I can't tell if it was made in China, Canada, Russia, or U.S.A

........And no I do not know everything.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#12]
When I mentioned parts shortages I wasn't addressing the buttstock issue. I was talking about small parts like charging handles and bolt carriers.

MT
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:36:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Well then there is room for a savy entrepreneur like yourself to come in here and make a killing.  Get a DBA and a tax number and show em how its done.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Hey bluetruck88 - nice job stomping on ads in the EE. I don't see you lasting very long around here.

BTW - you do indeed get what you pay for, most times. If a $22 Chinese POS stock is what you want, then buy it. Attacking dealers in their ads will not fly.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=217889
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Just trying to get a little common sense injected in the buying frenzy

Are you afraid of some one speaking their mind.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Speak your mind all you want in this thread, but going onto a paying advertiser's ad and trashing it is a bigtime no no. Too late, damage done.  Enjoy your Chicom frankengun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:51:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Every one has a right to speak out against what they do not like.

Hell even you do it!!

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#18]
You have been here since....  October 2004, so have you seen a trend in pricing?  The prices you see have more to do with the name and quality of the product than with the recent end of the AWB.  Vltor stocks have always cost more than a basic 4 position stock.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#19]
If it were in public and not on the net. I could walk up to a customer and tell them not to buy and tell them to be careful right in front of  vendor.

It is not against any law to give advice.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:58:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Its called research.

Just type in AR15/M16 parts and a whole shit load of sites come up on google.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:04:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Listen I have been watching prices on ARs and parts in the equiptment exchange for 3 1/2 years and I see no evidence of price gouging associated with the end of the AWB.

It is true that we sometimes pay more for a name, or for looks, or reputaion etc.  but that is the same in any consumer market.

Also being a member of the board requires you to follow certain guidelines.  One of them is to respect other's ads.  You need to read the rules and follow them.  

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Never said I bought a Chinese stock.

And O.K. I apologize for the post in the EE.

People,.... please lets calm down.

SORRY EVERYBODY.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#24]
i see the price gouging mainly with magazines.  If you look at the old cdnn investments catalouge from before the ban lifted, they had LEO only HK USP 40 mags for $9.  after it lifted they had LEO marked high caps for the HK USP .40 for $20.  Still a decent price so i bought a couple.  Went to a gunshow looking for G17 mags.  $45-60 each for used mags.  Went online, got some LEO marked mags for $15 each
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Another thing to consider is the upcoming election. Some vendors may not want to sell for a lower price until they know if the BAN is gone for good...hanging on to the product for a month might bring them more profit.???

MT
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I can't believe you people are charging that much for a plastic stock.

I like the way merchants take advantage of the fact that the ban is over so they can

OVER CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What the hell is going on here.

People wake up. Just because the ban is over does not mean the vendors can bend you over for their merchandise.

Then the rest of your threads...

My "Armalite Barrel" has no markings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....HELP.

I just ordered a flat top (stripped) from Del-Ton...Now what?

What should I look for if I aquire a "pencil barrel"?

CDNN Investments for AR 15 parts??? Opinions please!!!!!!

5.56 or .223 remington, what is the difference for a barrel?

Del-Ton flat top uppers for $75?

Based on what I see... You are NOT ANYBODY that should be giving oppinions about anything other than nothing itself WHICH IS ABOUT WHAT YOUR OPPINIONS ARE WORTH!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#27]
In all fairness, its cool that you apologized.  Just hang out and do a lot of reading.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 2:25:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

........And no I do not know everything.

understatement of the year...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:44:51 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
In all fairness, its cool that you apologized.  Just hang out and do a lot of reading.

Agree
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:57:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably is the understatement of the year.

Yes, I ask questions.hing.
Yes, I have only been here a short while.
here
Yes, you can post all my threads if you want, I have the same amount of information as any newbie.hinking.gif
Yes, In all fairness I did apologize for the post in the EE.hat
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:06:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Tell ya what. The only way to remove your remarks in the other post is to edit them out (we don't have a delete button).  If you remove yours, I'll remove them from my post in that thread and the dealer can have his ad back. OK?
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Tell ya what. The only way to remove your remarks in the other post is to edit them out (we don't have a delete button).  If you remove yours, I'll remove them from my post in that thread and the dealer can have his ad back. OK?

and after that's done it would be very polite of you to ask the mods to trash this thread too.  Please consider that I went back, looked at my receipts from May, see absolutely NO price gouging, and I can prove it.  Want some evidence (& I compare prices too)?  I'll show ya my evidence if you show me yours!  

You're just plain wrong about that "gouging" stuff bluetruck88 but I'll let EE vendors worry about you being a repeat customer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Done.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Inappropriate.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top