Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 9:01:03 PM EDT
hey guys.....i currently own a post ban receiver and was looking into gettng a pre ban upper.  with the asw ban gone, would this be a problem now? or should i just eat the price of a used preban at a gun show?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Put whatever you like on there now as long as the barrel legnth is within the law.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#2]
What ban?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#3]
i hope your right, hehe...id sure hate to have a county sheriff look at my gun and say it was illegal when im out in the hills, hehe.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#4]
They are right.  Unless you live in a state with its own AWB, the distinction between pre-pan and post-ban is now legally non-existant.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
nice, hehe...i wonder however, if they decide to reinstate the asw ban would the rifle that i plan to build still be legal after the law is passed?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:36:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
nice, hehe...i wonder however, if they decide to reinstate the asw ban would the rifle that i plan to build still be legal after the law is passed?

They'd probably grandfather existing stuff to avoid Fifth Amendment takings problems.  But there are no guarantees.  They might even go back and ban pre-94 stuff that was grandfathered under the old AWB.  And I expect that they've learned their lesson from the last ban, and any new ban would be detachable magazine plus one evil feature--i.e., no pistol grips (or thumbholes) allowed.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#7]
hehe..and that wouldnt sovle anything f they dont ban handguns or shotguns, seeing how they are the most used n crimes and suicides. yeah i sure hope that if they do a new asw law that they at least keep it the same but change the date on the banned weps to most current. that would at least give some people time in between now and whenever the law is passed to get their toys complete. not that i am for the law in the first place, i think its a terrible thing to ban those features on a weapon. they should to psych tests on people before they buy them, hehe.. but u know us humans, we naturally evil, and no law would stop us from having a gun and doing what we intend todo. i think their should be insentive not to commit those violent crimes..like stiffer punishment, youd be amazed how people would conform to the laws if torture/death is involed with punishment of violent crime, hehe. the cable tv, music instruments, education, and anything else in the prisons should not be allowed, we do not need to educate criminals, they are there to be punished..   so they dont come back...not to just go there again so they can have free room and board. hehe. sorry for the long whiny post. but i am gettin sick of the ignoant people that i come in contact with over here that support the ban when they dont even realize what it is actually doing. its not keeping guns off the streets. its just making sure that we dont have cool stuff, and making sure that them educated criminals who just got out isnt gonna chase us down with their ar with bayonet, that they bought with their collage degree from the joint... hehehe.       i should run for president,   would anyone vote for me???
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:36:42 AM EDT
[#8]
oh yeah, nevermind all of the misspelled words, im now uneducated im lazy with a crappy keyboard, heheh
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#9]
not uneducated,, dammit...see .....bad keyboard
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:00:45 AM EDT
[#10]
and not to mention the fact my wife was shot in the chest by a post ban ar15 with 10 inch barrel while watching tv, in which 2 minutes before she was in that same chair with her sons head resting on the very breast that she got hit. the shot was fired from about a mile away or more maybe. reason it hit the house was out of stupidity.  the kid who fired it was in a park that only allowed shotguns and he was shooting at some rocks in front of him. then he decided he was gonna static fire the weapon, hence the barrel climbed up and went over the target. when i say static firing (just to make the point clear, alot of people still dont know about this technique), its the same exact concept as the hellfire trigger system, hold the gun by the handgard not touching the rest of the gun with your right hand but just the trigger, and it'll simulate full auto firing. i did it with my 20 inch ar which most people say cant be done, hehe. the reason how i know what the gun looked like is cause the officer who let the kid go had the kids gun in the trunk of his car. the kids went to court and the court let them all go because they couldnt prove who shot the damn gun,(B.S). alls they had to ask was , who static fired the weapon. obviously the kid had connections with the local law enforcement and the prosecutor. needless to say , he got his weapon back. and my wife still has a scar on her chest, and our inlaws house is still rattled with bullet holes...and i still will say to this day that those bans wont do diddly. even if you ban all of them. they should have stiffer punishment for crimes, and offer public rifle ranges that are open all of the time, instead of them private little clubs that only allow people on the land with someone present.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
my wife was shot in the chest by a post ban ar15 with 10 inch barrel.

????
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
yeah. her left boob. if it wasnt for the 2x6 frame that the bullet went thru it would have killed her dead. instead it bounced off her leaving a scrape and fell into the chair...if she was faced towards the wall she would have had a more serious injury. shes lucky to be alive.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
or are you questioning about the rifle?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
my wife was shot in the chest by a post ban ar15 with 10 inch barrel.

????

If this was in the State of WA, the odds of it being a legal AR is slim... as WA does not have SBR.  If it was a pistol AR, another story, but it would have to be a "original" style (aka pre ban).

Oh, what you talk about, the simulate full auto....I think it's called, bump firing...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#15]
wtf,  kingsht,  your first post  is a question about post/pre ban,  then it goes into a story about your wife being shot?   and you joined in march 2001.  

something fishy here,  it's not apr 1st.     i may be wrong but...

if not, i'm sorry kingsht and welcome.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:13:11 PM EDT
[#16]
its true, ive been a member since 2001. at first i was using the site a resorce for builds and legal stuff, and i enjoy reading some of the posts on my free time. sorry that i havent posted anything in the recent years ...basically do to dailup and inlaws wanting the stupid internet all of the time. but seeming how i have good net service and my own place, hehe, i am able to post. nothing fishy, just to lazy to go to a friends house to blog on their pc. as far as the legality of the weapon....it checks out.. it was a pistol receiver, the dude bought it complete not a kit...a real nice weapon..cannot remember the brand though, i think it might have been knights or somethin because it did have white lettering on it.  and as far as the sbr's  i thought that those might be legal in washington if accompanied with a tax stamp. but hey this is washington, hehe. where you can own a silencer and not shoot it, hehe
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
and as far as going way off the subject...im totally sorry bout that.....but it was kinda part of my complaint about a stupid law that doesnt do anything but make people angry.(hence, treating us law abiding citizens worse, and treating the population in the prisons better). and not doing anything to those who have the money or related to someone special. thats all. in the future i wont be so deep. but, keep in mind , what i said was all true, and my wife suffers everyday because of it. so to get back to the main topic....id sure hate to put my rifle together now, and go out shooting somewhere, and get put in the slammer or have it takin away because of some law that dont exist, or will be reinstated.. thats one more thing my family needs, hehe. so i guess the real question is "would it be a non-ban weapon, legal by all means, since it was put together after the dimise of the ban, and before a new one???????"
most of the replies ive seen on this thread and some others say that it is, but im hoping that someone who knows the government well or can interpret these laws well enough to read this thread. i would talk to a person at a gun shop here, but they turn their backs on musicians, and the people that run them here are totally ignorant of the laws, or they just dont care.....they just want to sell their shotguns n stuff. the only guy i knew that would give me a definate yes or no...spent most of his time getting around the law aand it bit him in the arse, hehe. to bad ...he was an excellent gunsmith.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:36:24 PM EDT
[#18]
KINGSHT,

You sound like your with the News Media.  You know the disinformation type stuff.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I think what we have here is a prime candidate for a 'Darwin' award. Sheesh!!!  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Indeed.  Yearn for coherence.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:55:54 PM EDT
[#21]
lets not get into the insults here. as far as im concerned, i havent received a good enough answer to my original question, can you blame me for wanting to cover my ass. as far as my bitching about the laws, if you dont like it go hang out with your anti gun friends.  and how dare you accusing me of being with the media, if you new how to read, i said i was against the ban in the first place. as far as my wife being shot....that happened. and if you dont like hearing about that kind of stuff because you think im trying to convince someone to grab your guns ...get real.....  im pissed that they didnt do anything to that bastard who shot her. i was just stating the type of rifle it was, and saying how the ban didnt do sh@#. thats all. and  as far as the sbr in washington state> checked into it ....cant have em,   your right.  and as far as the disinformation goes....i learn it from people on these forums and at the gun shops we have currently here..  so dont raise your tone at me if i cant get it right the first time, hehe. i was just conting on someone who was educated enough to give a thouroh explanation of what could happen if the ban was reinstated, and how it pertains to my gun. media...hehe that still gets me....none them bastards can type as crappy as me. they are to neat about their stufff they are worried about how it looks instead of the content.arrrgh
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:58:51 PM EDT
[#22]
oh yeah thx   Johnthetexican..... you have the most educated answer on this thread.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:07 PM EDT
[#23]
You've been lurking quite a while huh?

KINGSHT
Post Number :: 1

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#24]
more of a help then some of these other guys that are more concerned about how many posts i make, and accusing me of being related to the media.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:17:31 PM EDT
[#25]
captainpooby'               yes ive been registered to this site since 2001. 2 years after my first ar build. you have a question about how little post ive made? excuse me if it sound like i have an offensive tone........ive been called "media".
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#26]
The way I understand it you can put a pre-ban on  a post-ban now that the ban has expired. Send the BATF an  email with your question if you need to be sure with your decision.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:37:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Messed up an e-mail change attempt, had to get a new acct. h
I went over to the Brothers of the Shield part of these forums looking for answers.  Had a talk with a few LEOs, from your average beat cops to ATF agents.  Surprisingly, many know very little about the AWB statutes and what constituted proper ban compliance, even the ATF guys didn't seem to care a whole lot about it.  I spoke to an ATF guy personally when I was at my gun range, and I asked him about getting some then-illegal stuff done to my rifle, he said, "Although its illegal, there's not even a 'shall-arrest' provision on 922r, if I'm not mistaken, so unless you're out committing a crime or otherwise being a jackass, you're probably in the clear."  And the consensus of your run-of-the-mill police officer in this area is that if they have to scrutinize, they pretty much just run the serial of your gun, and if it's good, so are you.  I mean, seriously, does ANYONE know of ANYONE who went to jail simply and solely for ban noncompliance?  I once heard of a dude who got in trouble for having LEO-only hi cap mags, and was cited for it, and everyone in the LEO forums was flaming the officer!  Other than that, I have never heard of any ban enforcement.

So my point is that I think the ban has very little respect from people on both sides of the law.  The ban goes into effect, and wtf happens.  Well lets see, North Hollywood Shootout in 1997, Columbine in 1999, Beltway Sniper in 2002...I am preaching to the choir when I say this, but no amount of banning is going to stop any crime.  Just be thankful to God that your wife is alive.  You ought to get some more of your neighbors to support you on this issue, and maybe the next time this kind of crap happens they will be quicker about putting little sh*ts like that where they belong -- behind bars.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#28]
thnk you for the info fortyfiveauto... we moved out of there a while ago. thank god.  no taget practicing allowed in the middle of town now, hehe.and its nice to know that no compliance inst a big issue, whew.....i would have thought that cops would be all over stuff like that....including a threaded barrell.  hmm, should i put on that fake m203 too?, hehhe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:57:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I know it's practically a non-issue around here (Tallahassee, FL), but I think your best bet is to get to know your local law enforcement.  That's always a good thing, because if you're ever in a jam, you at least have character rapport with some police officers, and they can give you their own personal opinions on what they will and won't arrest you for.  

Everyone dogs LEOs.  They ain't bad guys.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#30]
ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT BAN YOU MEAN. PRE/POST reference to 1994 NO LONGER EXIST. HOWEVER WE HAVE LAWS FROM 1989 AND 1986 THAT WILL CONTINUE TO MEAN PRE/POST BAN.

no new machine guns and no more than 10 imported parts per rifle import ban.

I know bout caps feal free to piss and moan. sick of people saying PRE/POST no longer exist which is blatently FALSE. it discredits peoples intelligence and efforts at same time we have to combat other idiots that think the AWB banned machine guns. it sucks having to explain it to the non gun loving idiots. it sucks even more explaining it to gun lovers and enthusiest.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Ok, so does anyone have any hard eveidence saying that I can buy a "post-ban" or current production lower and install a threaded flashhider and bay lug and collapsible stock and not have to worry about anything.  as long as the barrel is still 16"

I suppose it may help if i live in Arizona.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
ALL DEPENDS ON WHAT BAN YOU MEAN. PRE/POST reference to 1994 NO LONGER EXIST. HOWEVER WE HAVE LAWS FROM 1989 AND 1986 THAT WILL CONTINUE TO MEAN PRE/POST BAN.

no new machine guns and no more than 10 imported parts per rifle import ban.

I know bout caps feal free to piss and moan. sick of people saying PRE/POST no longer exist which is blatently FALSE. it discredits peoples intelligence and efforts at same time we have to combat other idiots that think the AWB banned machine guns. it sucks having to explain it to the non gun loving idiots. it sucks even more explaining it to gun lovers and enthusiest.

I don't believe there was any doubt in anyone's mind that the "ban" in question was the Clinton Gun Ban of '94.  No one mentioned anything about machineguns, and as far as imported rifles, well, this is the AR15 forum, dedicated to that which is a domestic rifle, last I checked.  Your explanation was for nought.  The only person whose intelligence was "discredited" was your own, with your completely non-sequitur comment.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:38:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Your forgot about 1934 and others...
PRE and POST ban in current parlance means the 1994 SAWB, as far as 99% of gunnies talk about.

mark
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Ok, so does anyone have any hard eveidence saying that I can buy a "post-ban" or current production lower and install a threaded flashhider and bay lug and collapsible stock and not have to worry about anything.  as long as the barrel is still 16"

I suppose it may help if i live in Arizona.

Yeah, man, check out the ATF's website.  They expressly delineate how post- or pre- '94 nomenclature can now be disregarded.  A lower is a lower now, not pre or post, hence the new terminology "no ban".
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#35]
amen.....you guys rock. i feel a little better now, i think ill attach a bayonet to my ar to celebrate. thanks alot, gotta stock up ammo for my next shoot. hmm i wonder where i can get a good deal on cheap .223.
Link Posted: 9/23/2004 6:27:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top