Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/26/2003 11:15:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/26/2003 12:55:02 PM EDT by zhukov]
Hot on the steps of the Wolf ammo poll, I thought I'd stir up another hornet's nest. Since there's various ammo which is known to not feed/extract reliably, I was wondering if there are ammo brands which cause more than minor mischief.

Please keep this to first-hand experience only: ie. your rifle, or you were standing next to someone this happened to or something like that. No "a friend of a friend of my neighbor's" type story.

The criteria: Failure of the ammo caused direct damage to any operating part of your AR15-type rifle, over and above normal wear and tear.

If so, please list the part damaged, and the ammo involved as well as suspected failure mode.

I think it might be good idea to put a sticky up for the most popular types of ammo out there, and have poll results similar to the recent Wolf poll. I think it would be very informative to see the various failure rates attributed to the most popular ammunition choices out there....
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 11:39:51 AM EDT
i had some winchester white box that was giving me fits with a cheap gun (AMT 45 backup) it was miss feeding, fail to fire, etc. part of it was the gun. it did a squib (i thought it fired and failed to eject). and i jacked the second round in and it split the barrel. very cool. the slide came 1/3 of the way back and i pulled the mag and tried to clear the gun and the slide wouldn't go back any more. so i got a local gun smith to put on a new barrel and tune it a little and it works fine.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:25:32 PM EDT
Georgia Arms 223 reloads in my m-16. ka-boom one afternoon which blew the bolt apart and most of the damage went down the magazine well as it blew out the bottom of the magzine. georgia arms said it was the gun. bushmaster said it was the ammo. 3rd party said it was the ammo case length being too long. measured the rest of the case and many cartridges were right on the maximum case length. last time i use georgia arms on my gun. only use factory ammo for my m-16 since that day......
Top Top