Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/26/2003 9:07:28 PM EDT
Have you had any luck with these? Have never seen them before until today, (read the mag ranking supposedly 1st tier).  They have the magazine catch for both guns.  Just making sure the experience won't end up being like the one USA brand mags bring. Saw one of those yesterday not very good quality.

Had you to do over would you buy them? I have plenty of 30s, now looking to get a few 20s and possibly a couple 40s to duplex together. Figure I would never need anymore than 80 rds all at once ever.  (And if so I should have run away along time before things get that bad.) Or should I look for some of the Sterling mags instead? It is my opinion that all my high caps be 100 percent reliable, have plenty of unreliable range mags to toy with at the range.
Link Posted: 11/27/2003 7:47:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll throw my hat into the ring on this one.  Surely a lot people have had good experiences with the PMI 40's.

I have read posts saying they worked great in both semi and full-auto.  I have read posts saying the early ones had better fit and finish than the later ones.  I have read posts saying they just needed a little "tweaking" with a vice.

I purchased two new ones and received an earlier one which looked good and had the fancy floorplate with the PMI logo on it.  I also received a later one with a blank floorplate and it appeared to have been stamped together in quite some haste.  Both were brand new.  The junky looking one required implements to get the floor plate out it was so tight and jammed - also quite a job getting it all the way back in.  Upon trying both in a a Colt lower they were both extremely tight.  So tight I got them out and decided not to go any further with them.

Maybe if I attempt to tweak them they would fit nice and run great.  In my mind I prefer to have new mags work 100% without any dinking around.

My closing advice to you would be if you have the means go with Sterling.  I have those as well and although I could have purchased five PMI's for the cost of one of my NIW Sterling 40's, I am very happy and satisfied.  The only hard part is  finding them.

GoGo
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got five PMI 40s and wouldn't part with them for any price. I still stick to USGI 30s for defensive situations, but my PMIs have always run 100% once set up right.

All of mine were slightly long (front-to-rear) for my Colt's mag well. A very gentle squeezing in a vice cures that, and they stay cured. As a matter of habit I replace all my mag followers with greenies, including the PMIs. I also molycoat the PMIs -- I'm not a fan of steel mags in alloy magwells without something to reduce the friction/wear.

I regularly do mag dumps in full auto with the PMIs and they do not miss a beat, even when I've set my '16 up to run at 900+ rpm. I can and do wear out GI 20s and 30s, but I've never worn out a PMI yet (I guess that's the advantage of steel).

When I win the lottery, I'll go shopping for Sterlings....[;)]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top