Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/6/2008 6:48:33 PM EDT
I am having some problems with Remington UMC .223 LC223R3 ammo short stroking on my AR15.  I understand it is some pretty weak ammo.  It shoots about 2" lower than my usual American Eagle ammo at 50 yards.   So, the short stroking does not surprise me.

Is PMC 223A loaded hotter than the Remington .223 UMC?  I have heard the PMC is dirty and has a big muzzleblast at night.  I just want some reliable plinking ammo and wonder if the PMC is hotter?
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#1]
PMC is the softest ammo I've shot. But I can't compare it to UMC cause I haven't touched it yet. I had a short stroking problem in my 20" AR that only happened with PMC, though it was the guns fault and is now fixed. I haven't had any problems since.

I will probably stay away from UMC for now since there is a bit of talk about its bad reputation. Plus I can get better stuff for less.

If you can get it for a decent price(what ever that is these days) give it a try. I never had a round that didn't go bang.
Link Posted: 6/6/2008 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am having some problems with Remington UMC .223 LC223R3 ammo short stroking on my AR15.  I understand it is some pretty weak ammo.  It shoots about 2" lower than my usual American Eagle ammo at 50 yards.   So, the short stroking does not surprise me.

Is PMC 223A loaded hotter than the Remington .223 UMC?  I have heard the PMC is dirty and has a big muzzleblast at night.  I just want some reliable plinking ammo and wonder if the PMC is hotter?

I have shot both the UMC and the PMC ammo through all three of my AR's and my Mini-14 and have never had a problem. The only thing I noticed between the two is that the UMC is more accurate in my guns. The UMC does group a little lower than the PMC but the bullets are also different. The UMC is a metal coated bullet and it has a lot flatter point. The PMC is a FMJBT and has a lot sharper point which is going to affect the flight path. Oh and I have shot 1000 rounds of PMC and around 20,000 rounds of the UMC. I shoot mostly UMC because it is cheap at Wally World!
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 1:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
UMC has a bad reputation. A while back people were talking about how they would rather shoot Wolf.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top