Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2015 10:21:30 AM EDT
Had an extra aluminum mag that came with a recent purchase, not a big fan of them, I wanted to try the crush test with the PMAG and see which would hold up better. PMAG won, Aluminum mag, lost.

PMAG vs Aluminum Mag vs Dodge Durango Results

Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, but I use my magazines to feed my guns, not to support trucks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 12:21:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/6/2015 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, but I use my magazines to feed my guns, not to support trucks.
View Quote

No doubt. E-Landers would probably not even notice if you parked something on them, and you could probably beat a giraffe to death with one. Doesn't make them the ultimate magazine imo.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear this was done before maybe 2008/2009 timeframe.  I think it might have even been discussed on this forum......???
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Maybe I'm wrong but I could swear this was done before maybe 2008/2009 timeframe.  I think it might have even been discussed on this forum......???
View Quote

pretty sure there was youtube video of it quite some time ago, possibly even by magpul themselves, I can't remember exactly.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 2:10:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Do that with a loaded mag and see how well your rifle runs like that.

Stupid test is stupid.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:10:58 AM EDT
[#7]
And once again, a noob re-invents the wheel .......
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:44:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing like ruining a good mag.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#9]
In case you find yourself being chased by a deranged soccer mom Lol
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I don't really give a shit what any magazine does after it gets driven over.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#11]
what about empty? or on pavement that does not give like dirt.
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:42:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 12:00:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I think the point of the OP was that GI mags are lacking in crush strength, and that is a true statement. It doesn't take a truck to ruin a GI mag. I can do it by stepping on it.
I know a lot of guys on this forum love GI mags, and that's great, but they considerably weaker in many ways than modern poly mags, and that's a fact, not opinion.
View Quote

Well I have zero love for any magazine, but I do like valid comparisons vs. hype and sales pitching which we get plenty of around here.....Aluminum mags may be weaker in some aspects, but in the real world it might not make much difference.  When David Fortier did his SGN test he noted in his conclusion that the USGI mag was surprisingly tougher than they are given credit for. whereas the polymer mags he tested broke fairly easily when dropped on their feedlips.  There was a fairly extensive test done on this very forum where all of the polymer magazines broke on the FIRST drop and his results were identical to Fortier's.  The only mag that couldn't be broken in either test was Lancer which has steel reinforced feedlips.  All of this is fact, not opinion..............
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top