Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2003 8:59:28 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 9:26:21 AM EDT
[#1]
That's a very large pressure switch attached to the front grip??
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#2]
That's cool, our trust in Vltor is vindicated [:d]
Wes do you know anything new Vltor is developing?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Aww, just admit thats you in the fist pic of your trip to New Mexico [;)]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Great pics Wes! Last pic came up REDX!  :(
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
YES.

; )

I'LL LET YOU KNOW WHEN THEY'RE IN HAND.

WES GRANT
[URL]MSTN.BIZ[/URL]
View Quote

Why you..lol, had to sign an NDA did you? [;)]
Well whatever it may be I want it [:d]

What nation on earth other than Iraq would color most of their buildings the same color as the sand which surrounds them and is everywhere?  Talk about lack of imagination, or maybe they got a good deal on beige paint.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:18:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
What nation on earth other than Iraq would color most of their buildings the same color as the sand which surrounds them and is everywhere?  Talk about lack of imagination, or maybe they got a good deal on beige paint.
View Quote

They say taupe is very soothing.

(Name that movie quote!)
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah but for hotels, residential and office buildings?
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Cool Pics, Man [:)]

Who are the guys in the picture? Are they Marines? The one guy has an M40A1.

ls
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:12:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Whats that seccond pressure switch in the first picture for?(located on the magwell of the AR)

Another light on opposite side of rail(looks like it ends up on the opposite side)? Dual pad for one flashlight? IR laser someplace perhaps?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#14]
All I ever see are red X's

Damn red x's
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MARINES.

View Quote

Hey, they posted more pictures on the Vltor website.

[url]http://www.vltor.com/iraq.htm[/url]

Those guys are Marine Recon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
[IMG]http://www.vltor.com/images/watch.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vltor.com/images/HiMom.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://www.vltor.com/images/vltor-irag-bg.jpg[/IMG]

A couple from the Vltor website. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 6:34:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
TAUPE IS A GREAT COLOR FOR A WEAPON. MAYBE EVEN BETTER THAN OLIVE DRAB, CONSIDERING THE LIKELY ENVIRONMENTS FOR THEIR EMPLOYMENT.

WES
View Quote

Wes?  That wouldn't be a hint now would it?
Link Posted: 6/26/2003 10:52:32 PM EDT
[#18]
[img]http://www.vltor.com/images/vltor-irag-bg.jpg[/img]

What type of NVD scope on the top M4?
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:09:55 AM EDT
[#19]
The top carbine appears to have a Thermal Sight.  Not much on exact nomenclature anymore.  But it does look to me that all the M4's picured have our (KAC) RAS, and several with our Forward Pistol Grip (FPG).  Note on the first pic that a Tape Switch (TS) is secured to the FPG.
The second TS on the mag well looks maybe connected to a Laser Pointer mounted to the left RAS rail (I can see something sticking up there?).  So this operator must be satisfied with his laser holding zero when mounted on the RAS.
ColdBlue sends...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 4:22:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, about the Vltor.  Well I think its great that there are products out there that are a "drop in" for Soldiers and Marines to buy and upgrade their weapons without permanently modifing them and getting in trouble with the "system".
And I think one of the best features of this forum is that GI's can log on and learn about such things.  I have Operator's and Armorers contact me at work (KAC) all the time from both CONUS and Forward Deployed locations seeking information and advice.  On several occasions I sent them to AR15.com so they could research a product and then link to a source.
About the Vltor, got them on my guns.  I am currently experimenting with a mid-point (bridge/RAS II) mounted Aimpoint with the Vltor stock closed all the way.  Even though I can't shoot iron sights with the stock closed, the scout mounted reflex sights seem to change all that, and allows me to shoot the gun right out of the bag without the extra step of extending the stock; and I have been shooting the 16 with my nose on the charging handle since 1968.  So this is a big transition for me, but then so was CQB.
ColdBlue sending more...
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 6:04:58 AM EDT
[#21]
I was two years old in 1968 and shooting cap guns [BD]
[img]www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid67/p0be677181f31d1b0f3d73cdc4ffac1e6/fbd373fd.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I was just a mere thread of DNA............
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 11:19:36 PM EDT
[#23]
The weapon sight shown is a PAS12. Nice sight but only good for open country. Here is Baghdad I'm doing missions with the 82nd and we only use them for observation, although the best in mobil thermal sights it works poorly for contrast in the MOUT inviornment we deal in. Everything here is hot. People are pretty much the coolest item viewed. So they show up as small dark spots. Everything else is shades of gray and white. Must say though the sight works great for seeing people in buildings. Would never bet my position on it.

The terrian shown in the pic's you have is southern IRAQ. Not at all like up here in Baghdad. The guy's in the photo have some kewl shit but not at all suited for combat. You move light here. But I'm in the Army so we don't get the kewl stuff. Just whats in inventory.

None of the infantry Ive seen have have that new stock. Must be rear folk stuff. Most M4's in country have the original Colt 4 position stock. Nothing would look better though for fit and function. Speed is life.

JohnM in Iraq
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:36:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The terrian shown in the pic's you have is southern IRAQ. Not at all like up here in Baghdad. The guy's in the photo have some kewl shit but not at all suited for combat. You move light here. But I'm in the Army so we don't get the kewl stuff. Just whats in inventory.

None of the infantry Ive seen have have that new stock. Must be rear folk stuff. Most M4's in country have the original Colt 4 position stock. Nothing would look better though for fit and function. Speed is life.

JohnM in Iraq
View Quote

I'm sorry... For a second there it sounded like you were saying those [b]RECON MARINES[/b] aren't suited for combat.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 5:15:46 AM EDT
[#26]
From the casualty rate "since the end of major combat operations" in now over 200, are there any "safe" rear areas?
Cold Blue knew no safe areas in the Nam...
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 6:38:14 AM EDT
[#27]
My 3 cents [edited to add a fourth cent]:

Looking at the FBI part 1 crimes statistics in conjunction with recent large scale prison releases and recidivist percentages, I'm not so sure any American urban area is a "safe rear area".  

Anyway, I personally really like the VLTOR, and Wes is the hookup.  

Quoted:
TAUPE IS A GREAT COLOR FOR A WEAPON. MAYBE EVEN BETTER THAN OLIVE DRAB, CONSIDERING THE LIKELY ENVIRONMENTS FOR THEIR EMPLOYMENT.

WES
View Quote

I unsertand the Marines are considering going coyote brown for weapons.  

I would love to see a post ban VLOTR in a shorter (A1) rather than longer.  I only have 1 preban lower, and don't have a boxer's wingspan.    
Link Posted: 6/29/2003 8:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry Guy's didn't mean to imply anything other than southern Iraq tends to be less of a hot spot. Also being a former Marine I would never call any of them nothing other than Asskickers. Been there. Marines always get the toughest job. Plain and simple. And get the least amount of credit where credit is due. I should have worded my comments better. Recon is the shit. Wish we had a 100K of them here. We'd have this place subdued in minutes. And thats taking a cigarette break.

No person is theater is less of a soldier because of his location. My comments were directed at the equipment. Real sweet shit but not for the guy on the move, except for the stock. You need that techno when your doing  OP/IP or pulling guard.  

Wes, nothing implied.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:38:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Real sweet shit but not for the guy on the move....
View Quote

JM,
I think you mean abt the thermal , 'cose the PVS-17 is a good NVD in open areas.
PP out
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 11:54:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Nope, theres no need for all the dohaha you can "bolt" on your weapon unless your a fixed position soldier. Most guy's here are in the tactical mode 24/7. I only carry spare ammo and frag's if I know I'm gone out past sundown. I sleep on whatever I can rest my body. I'm in the same clothes and socks for a week. So what you carry is what keeps you alive. Water is far more valueable than NOD's. If mission dictates we do go with the techno shit. But that's rare.

Exiting and entering a vehicle is made way too complicated when a weapon isn't sleek. They already get caught on anything you least expect and get hung up when you least expect. The PVS and PAS are kewl but only when you are stationary doing survailence or on a river patrol mission. Haji got no NOD's.

This urban fight is far different then when we fought back in March. Then it was full frontal assualt. Now its QRF and dodging snipers. Still want all that stuff for my ego but here its surviving. Speed is life.

JohnM in Iraq
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:50:14 AM EDT
[#31]
JM,
good to know what's OK and what's out in your actual AO.
I wish you the best and to be home safe soon,
PP out
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#32]
John, Glad to hear your doing well.

Sorry we could not join you...
I disagree on your points on the PVS-17 though

Guys heck eveyone loves a photo Op :)

Going to have to get me my own VLTOR to see.  I got to play with one it a bit but was unimpressed in comparision to the Magpull - however Coldblue's points make sense.

Link Posted: 7/1/2003 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/1/2003 8:21:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
COLDBLUE ALWAYS MAKES SENSE.

WES
View Quote

Sometimes I am too dumb to see...
Link Posted: 7/2/2003 12:00:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I disagree on your points on the PVS-17 though
View Quote

Sincerely me too.

Having superior tech as NVDs versus those who have not them , IMHO , is a great point to bring our guys'lives safe at home .

PP out
Link Posted: 7/4/2003 1:58:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I would love to see a post ban VLOTR in a shorter (A1) rather than longer.  I only have 1 preban lower, and don't have a boxer's wingspan.    
View Quote

[Homer Simson]Wooo-Hooooo[/Homer Simson]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=164154&w=myTopicPop[/url]
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 4:13:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Got the clubfoot A1 today!  Thanks Wes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#38]
I'm sorry... For a second there it sounded like you were saying those [b]RECON MARINES[/b] aren't suited for combat.
View Quote

...Just be happy [b]you[/b] don't have to haul that Browning M2 around with you...
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 2:29:29 PM EDT
[#39]
In addition to the PAS12, they also have the PVS-17 mounted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Well the only time we used the thermals was while we were in OP's other than that the pvs14 were fine. glad your doing good over there. Keep your head down so you can get back home!
        Take care FREE
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have Operator's and Armorers contact me at work (KAC) all the time from both CONUS and Forward Deployed locations seeking information and advice.  On several occasions I sent them to AR15.com so they could research a product and then link to a source.
About the Vltor, got them on my guns.  I am currently experimenting with a mid-point (bridge/RAS II) mounted Aimpoint with the Vltor stock closed all the way.  Even though I can't shoot iron sights with the stock closed, the scout mounted reflex sights seem to change all that, and allows me to shoot the gun right out of the bag without the extra step of extending the stock; and I have been shooting the 16 with my nose on the charging handle since 1968.  So this is a big transition for me, but then so was CQB.
ColdBlue sending more...
View Quote

Dam, talk about stumbling across a thread im Involved in and didnt even know it :-)  Im one of them Armor type that keeps bugging Dave, and I just assembled a M4 in the exact config that Dave is talking about.  (Fade Twilight zone music) LOL
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#42]
If you were using two pressure switches for the light, having one on the magwell makes sense-you can flash the light with the strong hand and have the weak free for opening doors, etc.

Watch you 6 over there, BTW.

Tim
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top