Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 11:49:16 AM EDT
Before I get yelled at, I have pics but haven't had time to host them yet his
Since this was my first build, I don't have anything to compare it to...but it went very well.  I had to enlist my wife's help* on the pivot pin detent & spring (nothing went flying), and on installing the bolt catch.

Everything fit, functioned, and felt great with no tweaking necessary.  The finish matched the RRA lower in color almost perfectly, although the lower had more of a slightly textured feel.  

The upper had a few very minor finish blemishes...looks like there is a "chip" on the forward assist, and the finish on the handle's sight channel was a bit uneven.  Nothing to make me want to send it back.

I got the kit through Chuck's group buy, and can't say enough good things about the transaction...timely updates, and awesome customer service.  And a good discount!

The only negatives (other than the minor blemishes) were that J&T forgot to include the grip screw & washer, and sent an AFRX-E (entry) stock intead of the full length ARFX.  But Chuck handled everything quickly & professionally (I got the news of the mistakes before I got the kit!)...Chuck is Da Man!

Ordered from Chuck on 4/29, received the kit on 5/13, had my replacement parts 5/19.  Probably will be a few weeks before I can break it in though have
Her: "Is that a present for the baby?"
Me: "Er, yeah.  I'll teach to baby to shoot when he/she's old enough."  (my buddy just bought his newborn an '03 Springfield)
Her: "Is it a present for me?"
Me: "Yes! I got the shorter stock so you could shoot comfortably!"
Her: "Is it a present for the cat?"
Me: "Yes! I've told you I've seen coyotes around...I can protect the cat if he's outside."
Her: "You are so full of sh!t."

Sorry for the mega-long post...just felt like sharing...

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Here are some pics of the new addition:

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_rifle2.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_rifle3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.wideopenwest.com/~otter/jtkit_bbl3.jpg[/img]

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 8:02:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice gun!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 9:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]

[red]Her: "You are so full of sh!t."[/red]
View Quote

Why do they always say that?  Are they trained in high school or is it passed down from their mothers?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 10:09:03 PM EDT
[#4]
They get it from the "Mothership Meetings" in the restrooms.  You notice they always go there in pairs.  [;)]

GREAT gun, Otter, and nice pics!  Good account of your experience, too!  Let us know how it goes on the range: I'm sure you won't be disappointed!

Welcome to the club!
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, my wife just says, "at least it keeps you out of the bars!"  But then she'll complain that I'm spending too much money...go figure.

[argue]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 4:43:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, Edge & Combat Jack!  I can easily see how this can become addicting...one disease I don't mind contracting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Her: "You are so full of sh!t."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do they always say that? Are they trained in high school or is it passed down from their mothers?
View Quote

MY wife always says this because she knows me too well. [:D]

Besides...she doesn't complain about my guns & cars, and I don't complain about her shoes, handbags, and jewelry.  Mutually beneficial arrangement!

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 11:37:28 AM EDT
[#7]
OOOOO! AHHHHH!
It's sweet man.

The BRD is firmly grasping my testicles.  I'm looking at ways of funding my 2nd project. he he

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully it'll shoot as sweet as it looks.  Hope I can shoot it better than I look.

Forgot to mention...for anyone installing the ACE: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!  I didn't, so I didn't lube the foam or the tube, and tore a few chunks out of the foam.  ggrrrr.  Some replacement foam is on the way from ACE.

--Otter
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully it'll shoot as sweet as it looks.  Hope I can shoot it better than I look.

Forgot to mention...for anyone installing the ACE: READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!  I didn't, so I didn't lube the foam or the tube, and tore a few chunks out of the foam.  ggrrrr.  Some replacement foam is on the way from ACE.

--Otter
View Quote

If you'll flip to chapter 2, paragraph 4 of the manly-manual, you'll see that you followed established procedure...LOL
Link Posted: 5/22/2003 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#10]
hehe....hehe...lube yer tube....hehe...or you'll tear chunks out of it...hehe

Hairspray works great for this,slick when wet and sticks der foamtube to it when dry.

I can't believe you didn't read the directions...yer tube musta been thinkin'fer ya.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

--Otter
View Quote

hehehehe...I never got the lube instructions...20 or so really good whacks with a rubber mallet had the ARFX stock to within a hair of the back of the reciever...then I noticed the foam tube was still on the table. DOH...I had to cut a damn slit in the tube to put it on...it's pretty hoopty, but it works.  

About the only thing worse is putting a barrel on a FAL only to find out you've forgotten to put the handguard retaining ring on the barrel first.  Ask me how I know!  
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 4:07:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
--Otter
View Quote

One thing the military always taught me...[b][size=3]R.T.F.B.![/size=3][/b]  Alway R.T.F.B....[stick]
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top