Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 11/23/2012 8:28:35 AM EST
Looking for what you would consider the current replacement for the peq 2a that offers illuminator / ir laser only .. Seems like my only choices that even come close is the I2 or D2.. The I2 has vis /. invis and the D2 also has the visable as well as a huge illuminator unlike the smaller one on the 2A.

So you say just go with the 2A? Considered it but its large compared to the latest..

thanks for you're input ..jp
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 8:54:35 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 8:56:31 AM EST by TCBA_Joe]
I'm not really sure what your question is. You need to type more clearly.

That said, I assume you're looking to purchase something, correct?
Are you a government organization to replace your current fleet of PEQ-2As? The next gen from there is the PEQ-15 or DBAL-A2. The upside for having the slaved visible laser is the ability to zero the weapon in the daylight, which you can not do with the IR only units.

If you want IR/illum only then that leaves pretty much only the DBAL-I2. it has the exact same function, power level, and government only restriction, however it's smaller than PEQ-2A.

However, if you ARE NOT government you have severely limited choices to replace a PEQ-2A. If you NEED a dual IR laser/illuminator unit, you're ONLY option is the DBAL-D2. If you're willing to go with a IR laser and use an external IR illuminator your options open a bit to the ones listed here including the Class 1 DBAL-I2 (visible/IR lasers, no illuminators), Class 1 OTAL or ITAL (laser only), Class 1 Las/Tac 2 (lower powered pistol laser), Class 1 CQBL-1 (slaved IR and visible lasers), or the Crimson Trace MVF-515 (red and IR lasers, with visible weapon light).

You'll find your options are severely limited being a civilian due to the 1mw IR laser limit set by our government. Doubly so for ir/illuminator combo units; reason being the illuminators in the PEQ-2/-15 or DBAL-I2/A2/A3 are laser based, using diffused lasers upwards of 30mw to create a power illuminator in a small package. This just can not be done with LED based illuminators like the DBAL-D2 which require a large reflector to project a usable beam, hence it's much larger illuminator.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:45:16 AM EST
Thanks Joe,

No on the .gov ..Left civi law nearly 20 years ago.

You're not the first person to tell me my message wasnt clear. Sometimes i type the same way i talk, heavy southern accent is hard to follow at times... Anywho, thanks for the info, it proves pretty much what i was already thinking. I am really not interested in 2 tape switches (ie) the scout 620v i already have and a second for the I2 so i guess the D2 wins.. It boils down to 2 tape switches or $800 more for the D2 ..Maybe the good folks at TNVC will give me a little break since i ordered 2 AN/PVS 14's from him this year.

One can always hope.. thanks again... jp
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 9:53:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/23/2012 9:55:14 AM EST by TCBA_Joe]
You can also use the Surfeire SR07-D-IT tapeswitch to run both an insight laser and a SF light. It would allow you to run a single tape switch for both.

Also, 2 tape switches aren't too bad. I used to have that setup, laser at 12, light at 3, laser switch at 930, light switch at 430. You can activate them independent of each other or at the same time with no real manipulation. Check out Jason Falla's blog here for explaination http://jasonfalla.blogspot.com/2011/05/flashlight-position-mounting-options.html

Now I have the laser at 12 with the tape switch at 430, and the 600v with a clickie tailcap at 9.

Before you just go buy the D2, remember, that it leaves you without a white light. it also has horrid battery life.
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:27:45 AM EST
Joe

When you reminded of the white light it went off like BOOM thats is .. Didnt add the white light into the equation .. Now that i can see it in my head it makes perfect sense .. I2 with the surefire SR07-D-IT = problem solved . And i save the $800 to update my old pasgt and nv mount ..

to you ..jp
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 12:17:09 PM EST
Originally Posted By JamPo:
Joe

When you reminded of the white light it went off like BOOM thats is .. Didnt add the white light into the equation .. Now that i can see it in my head it makes perfect sense .. I2 with the surefire SR07-D-IT = problem solved . And i save the $800 to update my old pasgt and nv mount ..

to you ..jp

Good call. Get an ACH off the EE for <$200 and go get a good swing arm setup. Using a Norotos AKA2 in lieu of the USGI mount is the best upgrade I could have ever made.
Top Top