Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2018 1:28:05 PM EDT
I'm trying to decide between PA's new MD-RB-AD red dot and the Sig Romeo 5. The PA costs about $150 with 1/3 mount, and the Romeo is $120 with 1/3 mount. Both use 2032 batteries and have long run times. Basically, I'm looking to see if the internals/glass is any different between the two, also personal experience/tips for each is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#1]
There is a thread in the PA industry forum about the upgrades on the new dot. Mostly internals/seals and stuff. Its also not a rebranded hulosun like their older dots. No idea for sig.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:18:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Funny thing is a heard some of the Romeo line were rebranded Holos, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I've read many positive user opinions regarding the R5. Good deal at PSA to include free shipping. https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-ten-magpul-pmag-30-5-56x45mm-magazines.html

In one way, that makes the optic a hundred bucks and each magazine 10.00. Pretty good.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I've run a couple of the Primary Arms Micros when they introduced the new 50,000 hour unit.

They had an issue with the Night Vision setting, which Primary Arms addressed for me free of charge.

It has a lifetime warranty.  It cost a bit, but if anything goes out, you are covered.

I've been VERY happy with ones I've purchased!

Two Thumbs Up    

I've heard (can't prove or have direct knowledge) that the Sig line is their marked version of Holosun...
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny thing is a heard some of the Romeo line were rebranded Holos, but I could be wrong.
View Quote
I wouldn't doubt the relationship. A few years back I got curious and did some hardcore research. As it turned out, PA, Holosun, and TruGlo were kissing cousins. They had on-site (China) QC-types to maintain their specs and much of the glass was actually imported from Japan. Unless it's change, they share a common plant whereas the stuff Vortex and I believe Sig, use a different plant though in the same region.  Pretty sure before PA took that "next step" a while back, they sold TruGlo products. They continue to sell Sig and Holosun.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
The primary arms rotary model has different internals and would be my pick over the sig. When they came ou with the ad model they made several internal changes to help durability. I believe brass internals etc

@pa_mike
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 5:59:25 PM EDT
[#7]
"In one way, that makes the optic a hundred bucks and each magazine 10.00. Pretty good."

I'm in Cali. Newsom will have us down to one-round magazines pretty soon.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 6:02:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The primary arms rotary model has different internals and would be my pick over the sig. When they came ou with the ad model they made several internal changes to help durability. I believe brass internals etc

@pa_mike
View Quote
I also read somewhere the PA has aluminum caps. Wonder if the sig has steel?
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Romeo. Wish I would have gone with a Holosun acss dot.
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go the PA
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
and the Romeo is $120 with 1/3 mount.
View Quote

FYI, the Romeo 5 comes with an absolute co-witness mount and no one makes a lower 1/3rd co-witness mount for it that I know of (Aimpoint micro mounts fit it, but aren't right height).  Just for that reason I'd pass on the Romeo 5 if you prefer lower 1/3rd.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 6:43:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I was running my Franklin Armory BFS3 With the OpticsPlanet Opmod R5 and would not stay zeroed, at least the first time out on Binary Mode, so this is a setback for me, a little upset, but it did say Zeroed on Semi, just wanted to throw that out there.
Link Posted: 11/5/2018 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/6/2018 1:28:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 1:45:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Actually it's "no brass" internals on the MD-RB-AD. When you turn the windage and elevation knobs, the audible and tactile clicks come from these tiny little teeth that are meshing with each other. When they are made from brass, the teeth eventually get rounded off a bit because the metal is soft, and you lose the feel of those clicks. It doesn't really HURT anything, doesn't mean the scope won't hold zero or anything. And, most people just sight in their red dot once and then leave it alone, so the knobs aren't getting a lot of action on red dots, it's not like a high magnification precision scope where people will dial for range and wind and be turning the turrets constantly.However, among the other changes to improve long term durability, the MD-RB-AD series has fully stainless steel internals. They don't wear nearly as much over time, so even with a lifetime warranty we really don't anticipate any of those coming back to us because the clicks have gotten mushy.It's my favorite of our red dots, with the totally underrated full size 30mm red dot coming in second.
View Quote
I apologize for the misinformation and appreciate the clarification. I remember the thread you ordered about upgraded internals but couldn't find it. I purchased one a few months ago and really like it
Link Posted: 11/7/2018 7:24:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top