Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/18/2002 9:18:37 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/18/2002 9:30:45 AM EST by Cerebus]
Maybe some fellow Marylanders can help answer this. The law states:

A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm.

But what about just owning them? Is that illegal? What if I've "always" had them? What happens when someone moves in from out of state and already owns 30 rounders?

edited for clarity ...I cannot type today!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 11:08:46 AM EST
I am NOT a lawyer, but from what you quoted, owning them should be fine. You just can't get more, or give them away to someone (transfer), or offer to sell them, etc.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:56:30 PM EST
A little while ago I spoke with the Maryland State Police firearms unit about moving to MD with my guns. I was told that I can bring anything into the state except firearms that are on the MD banned list. MD had two assault weapons lists, one is weapons that are banned from private possession. The other is weapons that you can bring into the state, but cant sell to anyone in MD and can't buy once you live in MD. Magazines larger than 20 rounds can't be sold in or shipped to MD, but you can buy them out of state and bring them back yourself. Most MD residents go to PA or DE to pick up high cap mags. I don't have the phone number off hand, but they were very helpful in asnwering my questions.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 3:58:30 PM EST
A little while ago I spoke with the Maryland State Police firearms unit about moving to MD with my guns. I was told that I can bring anything into the state except firearms that are on the MD banned list. MD had two assault weapons lists, one is weapons that are banned from private possession. The other is weapons that you can bring into the state, but cant sell to anyone in MD and can't buy once you live in MD. Magazines larger than 20 rounds can't be sold in or shipped to MD, but you can buy them out of state and bring them back yourself. Most MD residents go to PA or DE to pick up high cap mags..
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:03:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold: A little while ago I spoke with the Maryland State Police firearms unit about moving to MD with my guns. I was told that I can bring anything into the state except firearms that are on the MD banned list. MD had two assault weapons lists, one is weapons that are banned from private possession. The other is weapons that you can bring into the state, but cant sell to anyone in MD and can't buy once you live in MD. Magazines larger than 20 rounds can't be sold in or shipped to MD, but you can buy them out of state and bring them back yourself. Most MD residents go to PA or DE to pick up high cap mags..
View Quote
I was hoping this was the case. Sounds like a trip to Penny or Virginia may be in my near future.
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 4:07:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cerebus:
Originally Posted By Sgt_Gold: A little while ago I spoke with the Maryland State Police firearms unit about moving to MD with my guns. I was told that I can bring anything into the state except firearms that are on the MD banned list. MD had two assault weapons lists, one is weapons that are banned from private possession. The other is weapons that you can bring into the state, but cant sell to anyone in MD and can't buy once you live in MD. Magazines larger than 20 rounds can't be sold in or shipped to MD, but you can buy them out of state and bring them back yourself. Most MD residents go to PA or DE to pick up high cap mags..
View Quote
I was hoping this was the case. Sounds like a trip to Penny or Virginia may be in my near future.
View Quote
Don't you be coming down here (VA) to take any of our hard fought mags up there dude! Unless you have any good northern food to trade!
Link Posted: 12/18/2002 5:25:34 PM EST
I'm tempted to move to VA just to get away from the liberals up here ...although the future looks a little better since November. I'm orginally from PA ...I miss my CCW. [>Q]
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:05:23 PM EST
Hey, don't forget West "by God" Virginia.
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:16:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By Cerebus: I was hoping this was the case. Sounds like a trip to Penny or Virginia may be in my near future.
View Quote
Didnt know you live in MD, have you checked out hometown forum? If you looking for HI-Caps. I have what you need. just email me!
Link Posted: 12/28/2002 8:47:38 PM EST
I live in Northern MD ...near Fredneck. I've been keeping an eye in the Hometown forum about the Mid-Atlantic shoot. I've got about 7 20 rounders, and 5 30's ...plenty for range use. I was just curious about how to get more hi-caps ...legally of course. [:)]
Top Top