Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/25/2004 6:06:57 PM EDT
Can someone point me to a resource where I can confirm the minimum overall length of a rifle and the minimum barrel length (without ATF paperwork)?

I'm pretty confident that the minimum length of the barrel has to be 16". However, I thought that the minimum overall length of the rifle had to be 30", but I've heard two people say that it has to be 26", so I'm wanting a little confirmation. It's probably irrelevant to an AR, since with a 16" barrel, it's about 30" with a collapsed stock, but it's good information to have.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:14:46 PM EDT
Your correct the barrel must be 16", though you'll find most to be about 16 1/4" just to be on the safe side. Minimum overall length is 26", under that and you'll have to go the NFA route. I have a registered AR SBR with an 11.5" bbl. with collaspable stock and it is 28 1/2" with the stock closed. If you want to look the laws up your self try www.atf.treas.gov be aware however that state laws may vary.
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 6:40:53 PM EDT
Note some states have laws which are more restrictive than the Federal rule.

Some states (like CA and MI) have a longer minimum length; also IIRC the CA law requires the measurment be made while the stock is folded/collapsed - while the federal law measures when the length is open (Otherwise you'd not be able to buy M1 carbines with the wire paratrooper stocks).
Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:00:23 PM EDT
Here is some info I ran acrosswww.quarterbore.com/nfa/sbr-aow-pistol.html

If a person were to buy a new lower , can it be registerd at the time of transfer as a SBR?

How would this apply to 80% castings that dont require a transfer?

Link Posted: 9/25/2004 7:04:20 PM EDT
80% lowers cannot be transferred after you make it into a lower. To the best of my knowledge, it can be registered with the ATF as a SBR.
Top Top