Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 12/25/2014 1:53:57 PM EST
I got hold of one of these things, and it is pretty nice for cleaning out the inside of the bolt carrier. I used it on all three of my AR's, two 5.56 and one 6.8 SPC, and it fits fine, and works pretty well.
Link Posted: 1/1/2015 7:08:33 PM EST
I bought one not too long ago....it's not a bad tool to have in the old cleaning kit. It seems that in order for the "scrapers" on the tool to really work, there needs to be quite a bit of fouling though. If I fire off 200-300 rounds from an already clean rifle, when I try to use the tool it doesn't remove the little bit of fouling and I have to do that the old way. I did use the BONE on a friends AR that had thousands of rounds fired through it without cleaning(I don't think he knew how to tear an AR down). The BONE made short work of the heavy fouling in his rifle. He bought the tool after seeing it in action and seems to think that's all he really needs to keep his rifle clean....maybe I'm the weird one for keeping my rifle completely free of all fouling
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:25:32 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 22caliberKIDD:
I bought one not too long ago....it's not a bad tool to have in the old cleaning kit. It seems that in order for the "scrapers" on the tool to really work, there needs to be quite a bit of fouling though. If I fire off 200-300 rounds from an already clean rifle, when I try to use the tool it doesn't remove the little bit of fouling and I have to do that the old way. I did use the BONE on a friends AR that had thousands of rounds fired through it without cleaning(I don't think he knew how to tear an AR down). The BONE made short work of the heavy fouling in his rifle. He bought the tool after seeing it in action and seems to think that's all he really needs to keep his rifle clean....maybe I'm the weird one for keeping my rifle completely free of all fouling
View Quote

I've had the same experience. The scraper doesn't seem to be sharp enough to clean anything unless the carbon fouling is really thick. I wonder if there is a way to sharpen the tool so it will scrape off all of the carbon??
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 5:51:51 PM EST
Stop worrying about the carbon, guys. Spray out the internals with non chlorinated brake cleaner and relube.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:58:42 PM EST
You are not the weird one, lots of us like to keep our rifles spick and span! But yes I have heard good things about the BONE, might have to pick one up next time im at the store. Although I am used to the "old-fashioned" dental pick and elbow grease for picking out the fouling from my bolt and BCG.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:49:51 PM EST
I sharpened the end of my BONE M4 tool.
I simply used a stone to stone the bottom of the tool to sharpen the cutting edges.
Unfortunately, I haven't fired the rifle since then.

The trick is to keep the bottom absolutely flat and true.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:53:20 PM EST
Waste of keish. I use a flatened 5.56 case to scrape when needed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:01:43 PM EST
We've used the C.A.T. M-4 tool for the last several years, works like a charm. As to why to use one...eventually you gotta do something, and in our case, the M-4 tool make cleaning the bolt so much easier. I use a lot of OTIS stuff in my cleaning kit but since we already have a CAT M-4, we'll stick with it but it's always good to have choices. I'll have to research if one is better than the other or if it's a wash.

When I was in the military, it was peace time so I have no experience with war time gun cleaning. In my time we had to return our rifles clean enough to pass the white glove test (they didn't actually white glove them but you get the picture). I guess having that drummed into my head carried over because now when I clean my AR's, they are CLEAN when they go back into the safe (including the bolt).

Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:39:55 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Stop worrying about the carbon, guys. Spray out the internals with non chlorinated brake cleaner and relube.
View Quote

Top Top