Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2004 8:38:45 AM EDT
Has anyone used these?  Are they reliable and sturdy?  They seem to be a pretty good price and I have to figure if the IDF uses them they can't be all bad.  Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Karl
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:03:55 AM EDT
[#1]
The reason that there are so many of them on the US market is that the IDF has dumped the Orlites for USGI mags.
That should tell you something.

Orlites are "range mags".  USGIs are not much more expensive, and WORLDS better.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:31:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found them to be very reliable.  In my experience, they were less likely to drop-free than USGI mags.  Sometimes when I put them in the rifle very srongly, they would dump a few rounds in the receiver.

Some of them did not fit properly in Bushmaster receivers, and had to be modified slightly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Has anyone used these?  Are they reliable and sturdy?  They seem to be a pretty good price and I have to figure if the IDF uses them they can't be all bad.  Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Karl

If you're going to buy them make sure they fit your rifle first.  I bought a few a while back that would not fit my Bushmaster.  In my experience I like the Thermolds better than the Orlites.  I have six of them strictly for range work and they have been 100% reliable to this very day.  I save my preban USGI mags for a rainy day.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Some Oralites do not fit Bushmasters, don't know why, maybe out-of-spec mag well on Bushmasters part??   Who knows....

CheaperThanDirt- sel two different Oralites, ones that don't fit Bushmasters and ones that do.

halik
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 12:18:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#6]
And, IMHO, they are quite fugly.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:52:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used only 1 Orlite, and it cracked in front of the feedlips about 2 inches down the mag body.  It still works, but I only use it for the range and I dont load it all the way.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't like them. In fact, I prefer thermolds to any other mag.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted: "Some Oralites do not fit Bushmasters, don't know why, maybe out-of-spec mag well on Bushmasters part?? "

Link Posted: 5/8/2004 1:38:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have several after some use my springs got weak.

They will hold 7.62x39 I was trying to mess with one and see if it would fit in the AK.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:34:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I own 7-10 Oralites and have never had a single problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#12]
What a coincidence.  I've got 2 for sale on the EE...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top