Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/8/2003 10:06:55 PM EDT
The Cheaper Than Dirt website says that Orlite mags will not work with Bushmaster AR's. Is this true? If so, why?
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I would not buy any orlites. 5 bucks maybe but why? usgi, thermolds and some of the sa80 mags are cheaper in the long run as they last longer. also you will not have the frustration that junk mags can cause. while orlites are not as bad as usa mags they are not all that much better. buy usgi and you will not be sorry.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 3:25:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Some Orlites won't work on some Bushmasters.  Problem is the mid magazine rim on some Orlites and a slightly smaller than normal taper on some Bushmaster magazine wells.

But, as noted not even the Israelis use Orlites anymore!  Even if the fit they're prone to cracking at the rear in the square slot where the bolt carrler runs back and forth.  Even with the metal reinforcement they crack.

These are third tier magazines at best.  First tier is USGI, 2d is Thermolds and the Brit L85 steel magazines.

-- Chuck
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 4:38:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Some do, some don't.  They do crack in the body and the feed lips.  No one uses them anymore.  I have a pile or "jammers" that will not work reliably no matter what.  They are fit for range or training mags only.
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/11/2003 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys! I am a new AR guy I am just starting to get my first set of gear together. I appreciate all of your replies and the experience that you have shared with me.
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top