Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2002 11:32:15 AM EDT
Is there any difference in the green followers originally installed in USGI mags and the ones that are available in kits or separately today?  The only difference I could think of would be that the used follower would travel better because it is already worn in the right spots.  What prompted this question is a badly bent mag with a green follower for $5 vs a kit for $5+/-.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#1]
GF's are only $0.75 to $1.50 each.

Don't buy a mag for $5 just for the follower.

There are some cheap aftermarket GF's, but most would be the same as the USGI
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
There is quite alot of differance.The Followers I bought from tapco,with the springs set,verses the Grn Followers I purchased from 1 of our own,504IPR,had a huge differance in HARDNESS/FIT/LACK OF OVER FLOW-LIKE OUT OF A POUR MOLD..Mike's followers has been the BEST followers I have found,I have been removing all of the Tapco grn followers due to their extra material that needs to be removed before they fit correctly,or slide in the mag without hanging up..The tapco grn folowers also are of a softer material,like getting a soft plastic mag,or a mag made of very hard plastic,with no over flow,etc.The tapco followers are even of a differant color,if there was not any other's to choose from,then a trimmed tapco grn follower would have to do,but since we do have a choice,then my Money goes to our own member 504IPR..I don't know the link to him,but for .75 a piece,you just can't go wrong..email him at ([email protected]).75ea,free shipping w/30..
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what prompted my original question.  As I said in another post, I cane across a few "bottom of the box" mags and there were 2 with some physical damage to the boxes.  The GF's, springs and floor plates were all in good shape.  I bought them anyway for $5 each because I wanted to see if I could save the boxes.  One had a small dent on each side and the other had a bent plate tab.  To make a long story short, I was able to repair the boxes and  now have 2 very usable mags for $10.  I live near a major military base, so finding good used USGI is not a problem, and finding these "bottom of the box" mags is even easier.  I can usually get them very cheap and now believe I can salvage some of the boxes.  I did get my original answerwed, though.  Original GF's are best of they are not too worn.

Thanks those who responded.
Link Posted: 11/2/2002 10:05:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 6:11:39 AM EDT
[#5]
You are on target.  The original GF's are the best IF they are in good shape.  They are made better and are already "broken-in".  As for springs and floorplates, that is just dependent on condition and performance.  Don't replace these with new "kits" just for the sake of having new.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2002 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
We'er talking Brand New Green Followers from the link left by TROY,these are without a doubt the best I have used,seen,etc..They are not Broken in,they are Brand new,and work Perfectly>>>
Page AR-15 » Magazines
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top