Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/19/2003 6:11:03 AM EDT
Picked up a stripped lower & an ambi safety at the local Houston gun show yesterday and getting ready to order the kit from JT today.
I am leaning toward the 16" CAR kit with flat top upper (although I like the look of the carry handle, I plan on adding optics) and the post CAR buttstock.
Is this a pretty good set up or is there another JT kit that is a little better? Am I forgetting anything? Also, what are the punch sizes I will need?
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the 16" CAR kit when I ordered mine.  I also like the Tactical lightweight kit, the M4 kit, and the Bull barrel kit.  I'm thinking about getting one of the Bull Barrel uppers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what you want the AR15 for.  I like the 16" barrel "shorties" also, but have one with a flattop upper and floated bull barrel for varmint/target use, and another pre-ban with colapsible stock and skinny barrel for plinking ans SHTF defense should that be needed.  Another is mid weight 16" flattop with an EOTech optic that is a lot of fun to shoot.

Decide if you want the full front sight (for back-up use) or want a 'shaved' gas block to leave nothing in the way to look around before you orger your barrel/upper.  Most prefer to retain the front sight, but I'm thinking my next upper will be front sightless.  This hobby it addictive!
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 5:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I put together a J&T Car kit a few weeks ago. Ya can't go wrong. I didn't use any special punches for my build. Did most of it with a Lyman brass drift punch and brass headed hammer. I opted for the flat-top w / detachable carry handle for versatility, and the standard A2 stock (which I like far better than the pinned CAR stock). I gotta admit to liking the lines of the M4 style as well, but I'm totally happy with the plain old H-bar. Good luck, and have fun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I built a J&T kit on a BM lower: worked out really well.  I can't say enough about J&T's quality: they are GREAT!!!

I'm in Houston, too.  I missed this last show, but will be going to the one on the 31st.  [:)]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:28:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm in Houston, too.  I missed this last show, but will be going to the one on the 31st.  [:)]
View Quote

I'm sure I will be checking that show out too....buying accessories for the new toy & seeing what else might follow me home
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 7:11:17 AM EDT
[#6]
I ordered the 16" Car flattop with carry handle from JT.  UPS tracking show's it scheduled to be here tomorrow!  I cant wait, it's my first AR, first build, I'm sure it wont be the last...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Conroe, you said that the next is on the 31st, is that at the reliant center, is their a website for info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Can't remember the exact sizes for the punches but if you order the Lyman roll pin punch set from Midway it'll have the 2 ya need.
[url=http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/browse?TabID=4&CategoryID=8826&CategoryString=649+***]Midway Punches[/url]  Near the bottom of page.

I have heard many people say they used standard drift punches, those would probably work too.  But the roll pin punches won't slip off as easily.  And for under $15 shipped, hard to beat.

[url=users.zoominternet.net/~pcfitz]P.I.G.S.[/url]
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#9]
opie69: I'm in Conroe, you said that the next is on the 31st, is that at the reliant center, is their a website for info.

Yes it is at the Reliant Center, May 31 - June 1. Here is the website for this show: http://www.hgca.org/hgca_future_gun_shows.htm

I ordered my AR last Monday afternoon from J&T, and got it that Thursday. I paid the little bit extra for three day shipping, but still wasn't expecting it that quick!!! Went together in a snap. Didn't even need to buy any punches, I had a small finish nail punch in the toolbox that worked just right.

Now I've got to find some optics. Will they mount high enough so that the front sight is not in the sight picture? I noticed that the flat top did not come with iron rear sight, anythoughts about getting this add on?
Link Posted: 5/27/2003 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's my setup:

[img]http://www.burnerblog.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_2003-05-27%20003a%7E0.jpg[/img]

ML2:  $310
#22M68 mount:  $100
Cantilever spacer for mount: $37
MAD BUIS:  $57

As you can see, optics and sights can quickly add up to the cost of the rifle itself, if not more (read: ACOG)!!!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top