Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 6:04:21 AM EDT
After reading this forum and seeing the pictures I have become another victim of the retro craze.  I'm in the process of gathering the different parts to build my own retro rifle.  I'm planning to refinish the upper and lower receivers with Norell's.  I doubt that my better half will look favorably on me baking the parts in our kitchen oven.  So, there are 2 options that I am considering for doing the baking:
1- Gas grill on the patio
2- Cheap toaster oven

The gas grill seems like the easiest way to accomplish this.  However, if the grill starts to smoke with some of the accumulated grease in bottom, I'm concerned that may harm the finish on the receivers.  I've seen several small toaster ovens inthe $30 -$40 dollar range that look like both receivers could easily fit in.  I'm assuming that with either method I'll have to invest in some type of thermometer to make sure the temperature is at the right level.  I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried either of these methods and what their degree of success has been.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 6:32:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually wait for my wife to go shopping.  It only takes an hour to bake the moly resin, and if you ventilate the house while the parts are in the oven she will never know.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I usually wait for my wife to go shopping.  It only takes an hour to bake the moly resin, and if you ventilate the house while the parts are in the oven she will never know.

10-4 on that!  And if you let the parts sit for a day or two after spraying them there appears to be even less smell.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy a new and cheap grill thats clean and has not been grilled on. The toaser ovens are a good idea IF you can regulate the temp well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quib - Thanks for including the pictures of your setup.  Great idea with super results.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:36:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I really like how the "easybake garbage can" method works.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting2006/lowheatmethod2/index.asp

I have done a few items in one as well as used it to remove cosmoline from an old war-horse.

I believe the warmest it will get is like 240 F, depending on bulbs you use, but, I built one just like it (I put a 2x4 wooden stand underneath mine) and it works like a charm.

Durabake at 180 F for 3 hours in the garage is not a problem.

How warm does Norells need ot be?

Also, does Norells match "Colt Grey" pretty well???
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top